Review: VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro

Jason Cockerham

Community Reviews Team Leader
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro

Long name. Serious case.

Versus is a company that has been making Apple accessories since even before the iPhone (yes the world existed before the iPhone! Crazy thought…) From their start in 2004, they have provided Apple product owners with high quality choices for accessories for their favorite devices. They recently rebranded themselves to VRS Design in order to emphasize their focus on quality and design for their products.

The Good

VRS Design seeks to meld fashion and function together into a case that is going to make your iPad even more productive than it already is. The result of their fashion sense and tireless attention to detail is the Dandy Layered Case for the iPad Pro (and yes they have it for both sizes, you can breathe easy).

The Dandy Layered case for the iPad Pro starts with a plastic shell that fits your iPad Pro like a soft glove. Just snap the iPad into place and it’s ready to go, no glue, no buttons or any other crazy contraptions. The designers made sure to leave plenty of room for all the buttons and ports, just like they should have. They even made sure not to cover the new amazing speakers on top of the iPad. There is one thing that they left out, but no spoilers yet. You’ve got to keep reading.

The entire case is covered back to front in a gorgeous, premium leather (read: not pleather). If leather is your thing, then you’ll love this case, If it’s not your thing, you’ll probably still like it. And yes, I know what you’re thinking “JC, what did you mean by the ‘front’ of the case?” Good question! This case is so much more than just a nice looking plastic shell. The “front” is a cover (yup, leather here too) that closes over the iPad and VRS was even smart enough to remember to put a magnet in the cover to make sure the screen turns off when it closes. It’s the little things in life folks.

For all the beauty and detail that went into the outside of the case, the folks at VRS Design decided that they weren’t finished there. They too have meetings and business lunches (omg they’re just like me!) and so they included some great functionality for those on-the-go business meetings. On the inside of the cover, there are two pockets that can hold some papers or business cards or whatever else you can think to fit in there. However, since the iPad isn’t quite the size of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper, you may have to fold them to get them into the pockets (I know! The horror!). You’ll be fine.

Now, if you’re meetings are anything like mine, they’re boring as all get-out. Well apparently those meetings at VRS Design are just as boring because they made sure that the pockets are situated in such away that they turn the case into a little stand that’s perfect for exactly what you think it is, Netflixing during meetings! You actually get two positions for the stand to ensure that you can enjoy your content no matter what height you’re at.

By this point, I know you are curious as to what holds this all closed so the cover isn’t flapping around everywhere. Well be curious no more my friends. There is a small magnetic clasp attached directly in the center on the side of the case that will hold everything snugly closed when you’re not using the iPad. This clasp is also strong enough to hold the case open so things don’t get in your way when you actually need to use the device…go figure.

The Bad

To be honest, there really isn’t much I can complain about with this case. If I had to pick anything, it would be two minor details. The first is that thing I alluded to earlier. If you don’t recall, please see paragraph 4. This has to do with the plastic shell that the iPad sits in. Remember how I said that VRS had left room for all the buttons and ports? Well, notice how I didn’t mention connectors, aka the Smart Connector. Yeah, the left side of the shell does cover the Smart Connector on the iPad Pro making it literally impossible to use the Smart Keyboard, or any other Smart Accessories with the case on. You’re only option is to use a bluetooth keyboard if you want to use a hardware keyboard at all. Depending on how you use your iPad, this will either not be a big deal to you, or your world just ended. For me, considering that Apple has not announced any other Smart Connector accessories yet, using a bluetooth keyboard didn’t really bother me.

The other small annoyance is that when the iPad is in kickstand mode, the fantastic little magnetic flap just kinda hangs out there at the top of the screen. It can be a bit distracting initially but I learned to live with it.

The Not-As-Ugly-As-You-Might-Think

Alright, alright JC, just shut up and tell me how much this thing costs. Am I going to have to sell my firstborn child? Well, not your firstborn, but maybe your second. This case comes in at a cool $70. That is certainly not the cheapest case around and not even the cheapest leather case, but it is definitely not the most expensive either, and with the premium leather look and feel with this case, combined with the added kickstand functionality, and the sturdy, protective build, I have no problems recommending it.

VRS is offering this case in 3 color options. The Dark Brown is a perfect showing of leather in its true colors. There is also a Wine color which is a gorgeous, deep red (like red…Wine, go figure), with black accents. There is also a Black color option which is just the Wine in reverse (Black with red accents).

This case is not going to be for everyone, and if you’re shopping on a budget, there are plenty of other very solid cases out there. However, if you are ready to spend the money, you’ll be glad you did.

You can find the entire line of VRS Design cases at www.vrsdesign.com

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2