[REVIEW] UAG Monarch for iPhone XS Max

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The Claims
Yes, we've seen the UAG Monarch before, and there really isn't anything new about it other than the size. So let's recap what UAG claims with the Monarch. UAG claims impact protection, feather light, easy access, traction grip, screen surround, glare-free flash, two times MIL-STD 810G-516.6 drop tested, top grain leather, premium protection, premium materials, ten-year warranty, and five layer protection. Wow, that's a lot, and it all sounds great doesn't it? Well, it's not exactly what it sounds like. This is how UAG phrases it on the product page, “handcrafted, featherlight construction with 5 layers of protection, top grain leather and alloy metal hardware, soft impact-resistant core & honeycomb traction grip, oversized tactile buttons & protective screen surround, Apple Pay compatible, wireless charging compatible, meets 2X Military drop-test standards (MIL-STD 810G 516.6), and 10-Year Limited Warranty.” Most of this is on the box, but I like how UAG phrases it. Again, it's not what it seems.

xCFAJQ

The Truth
Let's start with those five layers of protection. These include the polycarbonate shell, the leather back, the alloy metal plate on the back, the rubber border, and the screws on the back. Indeed, the useless aesthetic screws are counted as a layer of protection.
How about the other claims? The screen surround is just fancy wording for the case extended past the screen for face first protection. Feather-light? Not quite, though it is a very light case. Glare-free flash is more fancy wording, the camera cutout is just larger than the camera so it won't interfere. For easy access, you won't have an issue with most charging cables, however, the mute switch cutout still isn't centered and a little tight. The impact protection is a standard six-foot drop rating, and the two times military rating means it can handle twice as many six-foot drops as a regular military rated case. Would that classify as premium protection? I don't think so. Top grain leather, premium materials...sure I can get behind that. The leather is nice, but you're not really going to feel it unless you shift your grip on your phone to feel it. And that honeycomb traction grip is nice, I just wish it covered the back too because the alloy metal plate is pretty slick. At least you get a ten-year limited warranty. Apple Pay and wireless charging capability shouldn't be a marketing claim, it should be expected unless you have a really thick case or some material hindering those functions. The tactile buttons actually are very tactile and are very pleasing to use.

AV2VP1

The Good
  • Tactile buttons
  • Good side grip
  • Nice leather

The Bad
  • Bulky
  • Not as protective as the bulk would have you believe
  • Back is slick

Qr2xTF

Conclusion
If you've ever used a UAG Monarch before, you know what you're getting. It's a little depressing that UAG hasn't updated the case at all. I believe the Monarch is a greatly overpriced case. If you're going to spend $60 on a case this bulky, you may as well just get an Otterbox Defender. I wish I had better words to say than that, but sadly I don't. Apart from being aesthetically pleasing with tactile buttons, I really can't recommend anyone buy the Monarch. If you are so inclined though, you can buy the Monarch from many stores including Best Buy or you can buy it directly from UAG here.

Last edited:

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It actually is one of the most protective cases against drops out there. Far exceeding Otter AND Speck. Verified with 50 foot tosses off a balcony! (that's 50 FEET down to a parking lot!) ONLY the X in the Monarch survived 100% damage free. Others had cracked screens and/or bent frames. It's overpriced (as is all of the major brand cases) but it is what it is.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It actually is one of the most protective cases against drops out there. Far exceeding Otter AND Speck. Verified with 50 foot tosses off a balcony! (that's 50 FEET down to a parking lot!) ONLY the X in the Monarch survived 100% damage free. Others had cracked screens and/or bent frames. It's overpriced (as is all of the major brand cases) but it is what it is.

Fair point, however, it’s not rated for it so I can’t tell people it will protect from those drops. Just like the RhinoShield Crashguard has protected phones from 500ft+ drops. It’s not rated for those drops so I can’t tell people it’s a guarantee.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Don't agree with The Bad.

Bulky. Actually better than most protective cases similar.

Claims. Most have claims that make you wonder. I know someone that had a Max fall 3ft in a lifeproof next case onto a timber floor and shatter the back glass.

Slick back. Never even entered my head till you bought it up, i would say smooth, the corners keep it off surfaces so doesn't slide, and has good overall grip imo.

My Bad.

Camera cutout is big and could let dust in, also gaps under the power and volume buttons could do the same.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't agree with The Bad.

Bulky. Actually better than most protective cases similar.

Claims. Most have claims that make you wonder. I know someone that had a Max fall 3ft in a lifeproof next case onto a timber floor and shatter the back glass.

Slick back. Never even entered my head till you bought it up, i would say smooth, the corners keep it off surfaces so doesn't slide, and has good overall grip imo.

My Bad.

Camera cutout is big and could let dust in, also gaps under the power and volume buttons could do the same.

Overall it’s not as thick as some other options no, but it definitely feels thicker. It adds a significant amount of bulk to the feel of the phone. As for the slick back, as I mentioned the alloy metal is slick, the rubber sides stick out past it otherwise it would slide around more than dry ice on a desk. In the end, we will keep disagreeing on this case. Others may enjoy it, which is why I started off saying it’s just like every other UAG you’ve used before.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I had both Red and Black versions for my 7 Plus and enjoyed this UAG case. I'm sure there's a thread on the UAG cases with plenty of my photos....UAG CASES

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the review.

Some of my users and associates love that brand and look. I’ll admit that it’s not for me.

My thing as the IT director where I see so many is the big fat cases still have staff with broken screens. Many of the designs get disgustingly dirty - collect dirt. With that in mind Incipio Octane and Speck Presidio have been good brand name cases that are not so bulky and not such dirt collectors.

My personal solution for a more protective case for more extreme uses has been a Presidio Grip. They wash up well compared to some highly textured cases and they’re not so thick. When possible I use Apple Leather or no case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR