[REVIEW] Tech21 Evo Check for iPhone X

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Overview
Well, after the Otterbox Symmetry I had scratched my phone I decided I would exchange it for a new case. Enter the Tech21 Evo Check. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Tech21. I absolutely love the grip the cases offer, however, it has the trade-off of width. At least with the iPhone X, the width isn't too big of an issue. I'm used to using the larger iPhones and the width of the Tech21 Evo Check isn't anywhere near as bad as that. The back side of the Evo Check is a little harder than the sides and the grip of the case will prevent your phone from sliding around anywhere. The sides of the case are softer and have a great deal of grip, you will not feel like you're going to drop your phone. You will hold it with confidence. The cutouts are as good as any other Tech21 case, but I still have one issue with the bottom cutouts on the Evo Check/Mesh line. The cutouts are so deep that part of the bottom edge of your phone is exposed, and more than that, I can actually touch the back of my phone at the bottom because of the deep cutouts. Other than that, all the cutouts are done well. Your mute switch cutout is more than large enough to actually toggle the mute switch while the camera cutout perfectly centers the camera which is something I love.

nBks82

One of the few detriments to this case are the buttons. Due to how soft the sides of the case are, and how the buttons are a part of the side of the case, you do have to press a little deep to activate the buttons. And the biggest reason I have a love/hate relationship with Tech21 cases is the bottom lip. It's loose. I really wish Tech21 would remedy this. Granted it's not as bad on a smaller phone, but it's still a sore point for me personally. The rest of the case helps make up for it though, with its soft rubbery TPU body. Tech21 rates their cases for ten foot drop protection as well. This isn't something I'm going to test personally, but I've seen enough drop tests to know that the Tech21 Evo Check will protect your phone from most drops. It even has a small lip over the screen that's just big enough to protect your screen if you lay your phone screen down. All in all, it's a fantastic case that I just can't quite come to love for a couple idiosyncrasies of the case.

WeWwip

The Good
  • Comfortable
  • Grippy
  • Offers good protection

The Good
  • A bit pricey for what it is
  • Bottom edge/back of the phone is exposed
  • Loose bottom edge/lip

aoMhKc

Conclusion
Everyone wants a name they can trust, and they will pay more for a standard case from a trusted company. Tech21 is just such a company. You're going to get ten-foot drop protection at the cost of some slimness and slightly exposed bit of your phone. I'm still not sure I can advocate the cost of the Evo Check, however, it is your standard price for an iPhone case. It's grippy, it's comfortable, and you can buy it from Tech21 right here.

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I stopped using Tech21 when I switched to the Plus models with the 6S. They just made the Plus too wide. I may could use one on the X though b/c it's so much more narrow.

Last edited:

bailman

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been a big fan of Spigen cases, I have been very happy with all models I have tried. I am currently using the neo hybrid on my X, seems like a great case. Have a couple more en route from Amazon, their prices right now are awesome.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2