[REVIEW] Nomad Rugged Case for iPhone XS

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
https://youtu.be/9O6WRDlV06k

Nomad has a fine catalog of wonderful products for all current iPhones, and pretty much every other Apple Accessory on the planet. They make premium accessories using the finest of the fine Horween Leather, and they find unique and fancy looking ways to incorporate it into everything from AirPods carrying cases to Apple Watch Bands. I have reviewed a lot of their products over the last few years, including many of their Rugged Cases. The Rugged Case is by far my most favorite leather case for any iPhone that I’ve used, and the Rugged Case for the iPhone XS continues to live up to my expectations.

20190705_175852.jpg

The Look: The Rugged Case is made with leather from the famous Horween Leather Company, which has been around since 1905 and makes 100% American Made leather. The craftsmanship and the quality of their leather is second-to-none, and it reflects that in the way that it looks and feels. The case comes in two colors: Black, and Rustic Brown. Each of them has their own unique look, and they both pair excellently with the iPhone XS. Each and every one of the phone cases that Nomad makes develops a fine patina over time. The leather is vegetable tanned and has a bit of a dry feel to it when you first take it out of the box, but over time the leather evolves and develops a nice sheen to it, and has a smooth, sinewy texture that exudes quality and sophistication. The transition is very evident, and each little beauty mark and blemish only adds to the level of character and individuality of your product.

20190705_175903.jpg

The Feel: The case feels fantastic. The case has TPU material on the bumpers, which gives you added grip when you’re holding the phone. The case is made from polycarbonate and TPU, which means that it’s built well and has great shock absorbing capabilities. The leather feels great and feels even better as you break it in, and the finish begins to age. The case isn’t naturally slippery and there aren’t any concerns with dropping it, but definitely be careful if you want to place it on a flat, untextured surface, like the dash in your car or your center console. It will be fine as long as your stationary, but if you hit the gas or make a sharp turn, it may slide off onto the floor. Otherwise, it feels great. The buttons are near flush and aren’t accented heavily, which is nice for aesthetics, but makes it a little harder to find them when you’re not looking. They have ample feedback and don’t feel overly spongy, but they aren’t clicky either.

20190705_175931.jpg
20190705_175939.jpg

Security: The case offers 6ft of drop protection, which is really good for a not-so-bulky leather case. The polycarbonate shell and TPU molding offer great impact resistance, and so does the leather. However, the leather is the biggest concern here. The phone will definitely be protected, but the leather may get damaged in the process. Because it is leather, it’s prone to scuffs, scratches, gouges, etc… So, my recommendation is to not drop it, and you’ll be fine! However, these marks don’t particularly look bad if you happen to pick up a few here and there. It may seem like the end of the world when it happens, but as the weather wears in they really blend in well and give the case its own unique look and feel! Additionally, the case also has a recessed cutout for the camera for added protection, and the bezel on the front of the case is raised slightly for added protection for the screen as well.

20190705_180112(1).jpg

Conclusion: The Rugged Case for the iPhone XS is another solid offering from Nomad, that lives up to their tradition of well-made, high quality products. The leather and craftsmanship are top notch, and the overall carrying experience is a pleasure. It looks great, it feels great, and it’s a great addition to anyone’s phone case collection. Additionally, it’s a great case to have if you have other Nomad products as well. Their leather products pair so well together, and it looks solid if you have the matching set. I happen to have a Nomad Apple Watch Band, and I also carry around the Nomad Leather Bi-Fold Wallet. I never really cared about matching any of my accessories with my phone before, but as I have accumulated more and more Nomad products, I can definitely say that this is an added bonus. Instead of a hodge-podge of accessories, you can look stylish and fancy if you pair the phone case with some of their other products. This isn't a sales pitch by any means. I just happen to think that they look really well paired together!

20190705_180106.jpg

If you’re interested in picking up one of Nomad’s Rugged Cases for your iPhone XS, you can find them on Nomad’s website for $49.95 - https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...ugged-case-rustic-brown-xs-max&token=-qjpQ2pz - Again, it comes in either Black or Rustic Brown. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them down in the comments section.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I just got a Nomad Lightning cord, it was sorta free. They had this deal where if you donated 5 dollars to plant 5 tress, they would send you a free cord. VERY nice cord, much more durable than the OEM Apple cord.

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I was going to buy one. I added it to my cart because it was a $5 purchase that goes to plant trees or whatever. And then it was like $5 or $6 in shipping, so I said... nah. It is a nice looking cable though!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I was going to buy one. I added it to my cart because it was a $5 purchase that goes to plant trees or whatever. And then it was like $5 or $6 in shipping, so I said... nah. It is a nice looking cable though!

Yea 5 dollars shipping too.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2