Pros:

• Multiple game modes
  • Create your own levels
  • Download other levels
  • Multiplayer!

Cons:
  • Odd attempt at 3D make me dizzy
  • Level editor is internet only

Labyrinth was one of the first games that I saw to come out for the iPhone. I never downloaded it (beyond the free version) but when version 2 came out, I thought I would give it a try. And boy, am I glad I did.

Labyrinth 2 takes the classic Labyrinth game and builds a complex game from a simple concept. For those unfamiliar with the original ORIGINAL labyrinth, it was a wooden board with a couple of dials on either side. These dials would tilt the board, and your goal was to move a marble from the start of the maze, or labyrinth, to the end. My father actually had the original! The original iPhone version was basically the same thing, except tilting the iPhone was how you moved the balls. This new version adds some new levels and twists on to that concept.

First off, in addition to the ?classic? style, you now have various obstacles that can hinder your movement ? lasers, doors, canons, pinball bumpers, and more. These all make the mazes much more difficult to maneuver. You also have some mazes that are now ?metal? style rather than the classic wood ? it?s okay, but I prefer the wooden style.

The new obstacles add a whole new level of game play ? no longer is winning just a question of how subtle or precise you can be when tilting you iPhone. Different mazes now almost have a puzzle-like feel to them, as you try to figure out how to get from one end to the other (still with the subtle movement of tilting the iPhone).

In addition, there is now multiplayer via wifi or Bluetooth. In multiplayer, you are racing on the same levels to the hole, first one there wins. Unfortunately there is no online/internet multiplayer yet, but hopefully soon!

So you have finished the game, and want more? You can download user created levels, or create your own! Unfortunately the level creator is on a computer only (not on the iPhone itself? C?mon!). To create your own levels, you are given a unique username and password on the iPhone, then go to the website and get cracking. You can create individual levels, level packs, whatever you want. Have a great idea for a level when playing the game ? go make it! Levels can be downloaded by anyone and then are rated by the general populace. My daughter has more fun creating levels (although she then insists I play them, and some of hers are literally impossible!). You can choose specific levels to download, or choose the most downloaded, search for a specific user ID, new levels, highest rated, etc.

The 3D graphics of the game are nice, but in an attempt to make the game appear 3D, they may have gone a little overboard. When you tilt the iPhone (and thus, the game) the maze walls shift a little bit as it you are no looking from a different angle. The shifting is not perfectly smooth on my iPhone (although it is close), so it looks computer generated rather than actually looking at a three dimensional wall. It?s a nice touch to add, but I am not sure if I think it helps the game at all.

All in all, this is a really fun game. For $4.99, this game is a must purchase. Between the potentially unlimited content, the ability to create your own levels, the multiplayer options, and the added features, this game has a huge bang for the buck! The few minor features that I didn?t like (the 3D rendering of the maze, the lack of an ability to create levels on the iPhone) don?t detract from the game to any great degree. Four and a half out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73