REVIEW: Gokivo (powered by yahoo!) GPS App for iPhone OS 3.0

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
As I type this (Friday 6/19/09 8:00 AM CDT) the first fully-featured TBT GPS with voice App for 3.0 (for the USA, anyway) is Gokivo (Powered by yahoo!) by NIM (Networks in Motion). Navigon will be in the App Store by the end of this month (probably next week), G-Map should be releasing their 3.0 update any day now, and TomTom should be here (hopefully) before August. Also, Sygic and Telenav, among others, are also expected to show up soon. But for now, Gokivo is the first for the iPhone.

I've had about a day to play around with the app and I have to say I like it. For the first fully-decked sat-nav system, it's pretty sweet. NIM provides navigation services to a number of big companies (Verizon Wireless, AAA, AT&T, Ericsson, Sprint, TELUS, U.S. Cellular and YellowPages.com). Most notably, these are the folks responsible for VZW Navigator - which is teling, because I see Gokivo as basically a VZW Navigator for the iPhone.

Before I go into the bullet points, I wanted to comment on something: to use Gokivo as a full-time GPS driving app, you have to pay $9.99 (per month). If you've read the reviews in the App Store, Gokivo has gotten hammered with dozens upon dozens of 1-star ratings accusing the developers of "scamming" users and that it "was not clear" that a monthly fee was required. Maybe I'm missing something, but when you read the app description it VERY CLEARLY says that the $9.99 fee is required to use this on a monthly basis. Also, who in the world actually thinks that a fully-featured GPS system would only be a dollar? The $10 monthly fee is pretty standard for mobile GPS services like VZW Navigator and Telenav. Again, I'm not understanding the outrage. Speaking of Telenav, there's a pretty good chance that we're going to see this on the iPhone very soon (they're supposed to be releasing an official statement in the very near future) -- when it does come, they're probably going to charge $10 per month as well. This is a different model from the one that TomTom, Sygic, and Navigon will probably feature (which I'm *guessing* will be a one-time fee to get all the maps on the phone).

POSITIVES:

+The overall quality of the app is more or less, on par with mobile GPS systems like VZW Navigator and Telenav. The UI is simple, slick, easy to see, easy to use, and competent. So far in all the test routes that I calculated, they seem to be accurate, smart, and efficient (I've double checked them with Google Maps, which I believe to be still the most accurate mapper on the iPhone). Compare that with the current pre-3.0 version of G-Map (which has a bizarre penchant for repetitive U-turns, strange route choices, and other problems).

+For voice prompts, there is a female voice which also features *text to speech* (ie: it actually says the NAMES of the streets and highways) -- which is important since it's not been confirmed/denied (yet) that either TomTom or Navigon will have text to speech.

+As I was test-driving, I repeatedly went off route, and was impressed by how quick this thing recalculated my route (approx. 1-2 seconds).

+Yes, thank God...it's integrated with all your contacts.

+You can play the music from your ipod library while navigating and when a voice prompt comes up, the music "dims."

+I have to check my facts on this one again since I just bought it, but IINM, Gokivo pulls all the data/maps OTA (much like Google Maps). Maps are constantly updated and you also get traffic alerts and delays in real-time. Very much like Telenav. This is a plus for many reasons, one of them being that the app doesn't take a lot of space on your phone (ie: a typical GPS app can take up to 1-2 GB of space!). The downside: constantly pulling data OTA KILLS your battery life. I guess the good thing for those of us who will be using TomTom or G-Map (which both will put all the maps on your phone), the battery drain *should* be better.

CONS:

-The above mentioned battery drain problem.

-I guess for some, the monthly fee will be a problem. But again, that's pretty standard for this kind of GPS model.

-This isn't necessarily a fault of Gokivo, but more of a fault of the iPhone hardware: because the iPhone's audio speaker is pretty weak, it can be hard to hear the voice prompts while driving, especially with all the ambient noise. Your best bet is to connect it to any aux. cable so you can hear it through the car sterero (ex: Belkin). BTW, does anyone know of any *good* iphone car player/chargers? At least where I live (Chicago), the Belkin has a horrible time finding any FM frequencies to play on (I feel like a human antenna everytime I have to hold and maneuver it to pick up a half-way decent signal).

CONCLUSION: I'm still messing around with this brand-new app so if I discover more tricks, I'll post back. In short, Gokivo is better than Google Maps (which doesn't have recalculating ability, voice prompts, real-time navigation), better than the current version of G-Map (pre-3.0) and (for today) the best GPS app availaible for the iPhone right now (tomorrow, G-Map for 3.0 or Navigon could be released and that could change everything again...). 4 out of 5 stars.

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I bought a 3 in 1 charger, holder, fm transmitter, I love it, that way you don'thave to worry about your battery going dead, and you can hear the GPS prompts over your car speakers..

Nice review btw..

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, RB.

I actually just ordered the iTrip Auto player. If it's anything like the itrip for my old iPod player, it should work well. Here's hoping.

IamGov#IM

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps the outrage comes from other companies, like Sprint, including their nav in with their data. ATT customers pay 30 a month without nav!

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Then your issue should be with AT&T, not NIM. You get what you pay for and GPS is not cheap - developers have to make money too.

Last edited:

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I got this today, mostly to play with it. I don't mind the 9.99 for 30 days, but don't want to pay for it after this month. I'm not certain if the 9.99 was a 30 day pass and will expire in 30 days or if it was a subscription and I need to unsubscribe or set it to not renew. Does anyone know?

I'm leaning towards it was a 9.99 30 day pass and it will ask you if you want to buy it every 30 days...

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I got this today, mostly to play with it. I don't mind the 9.99 for 30 days, but don't want to pay for it after this month. I'm not certain if the 9.99 was a 30 day pass and will expire in 30 days or if it was a subscription and I need to unsubscribe or set it to not renew. Does anyone know?

I'm leaning towards it was a 9.99 30 day pass and it will ask you if you want to buy it every 30 days...

I don't think it is a subscription.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I believe it's a 30-day pay-as-you go pass (which I really like).

Can't say for sure though since you and I are early-adopters of this service. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I think the app sure be free not $0.99 and pay for the 30 days for $9.99.

My understanding is that it can't be free and have the fee charged. If it's a 30 day pass that's nice as you could just activate it for months you need it, though I wasn't very impressed by it and it directed me to a closed road.

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I believe it's a 30-day pay-as-you go pass (which I really like).

Can't say for sure though since you and I are early-adopters of this service. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I really like the 30 day pay as you go method, too. I've looked and looked and can't find anyplace to unsubscribe. I'll make sure to check it out next month, though!

Really, though, I wasn't that impressed with it. It "lost" me frequently and would recalculate directions when I was on the road I was supposed to be on. I guess the road data in the area I was in (Kennesaw, GA) wasn't very good. It was fun to play with, though!

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Guess like all GPS programs, it varies by region. I'm up in Illinois (Chicagoland) and it's near-flawless. One big thing for me is that a GPS app MUST have text to speech (ie: the ability to announce names of streets, roads, highways); it's a safety measure - you can keep your eyes on the road and just listen to the commands. So far, Navigon (Europe) doesn't have TTS and neither does TomTom (based on their demo @WWDC). Obviously they'll probably include this in future updates (via *gasp* in-app purchases) but it's nice to have it right out of the gate.

Folks, I think I'm leaning towards the "draw your maps/data OTA" model (ie: Telenav, Gokivo) vs. the "download all your maps onto the phone" model (ie: TomTom, Navigon model). Telenav and Gokivo have a constant real-time feed so that the maps are constantly updated and you get traffic reports in real time. You don't get that with TomTom - you can pay extra for yearly map updates and traffic reports but it'll cost you and it's still not the same thing as say, Telenav's real-time service. The downside to the Telenav/Gokivo model: if you ever lose service, you're screwed since the maps aren't stored on your phone. Although I don't ever recall a time where I couldn't get any signal at all -- albeit, I don't ever drive to the middle of Death Valley or some other part of the remote desert.

Getting back to Gokivo, it's the best all-round GPS option for me at this point. I'll keep an eye on TomTom and Navigon and Sygic and see what the reviews say but it's really Telenav that I'm looking to buy next (again, TTS and real-time data/traffic/updates are important). A week ago, I wanted TomTom - things change, however - I like what Telenav and Gokivo are offering: small light app, real-time data/updates, no strings attached. Gotta love it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW