Restore non-jailbreak back-up on jailbroken IP4?

bikedogrun

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Getting a 5.0.1 jailbroken (Redsnow untethered) IP4 later today (Yeah!)

I have a backup I made on a non-jailbroken 5.0.1 (different) IP4. Can I just do a restore of all my apps etc using the non-jailbreak backup onto the IP4 that is newly jailbroken ? ... or will that totally mess-up the jailbroken IP4???

/bd :confused:

RemmyZero

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
if all you're doing is restoring a backup of your apps and settings, etc. then you can do whatever you like. if you plug in your phone and click "restore" at the main screen, however, it will basically wipe your phone.

if you're intention is to restore from a backup of you're old phone just plug the phone in and when it appears in the left side on iTunes just right-click it and choose "restore from backup".

this more belongs in the jailbreak forum, but out of curiosity why are you getting a jailbroken phone and not just jailbreaking the one you had? or did you lose/break it previously? just curious....

Reactions: bikedogrun

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Also, I'm not sure if you know the seller, but I would NEVER buy a used phone?especially a jb'ed one?without restoring it as new before putting my own info on it. Just restore it to 5.0.1, jb it again, and THEN put your info on it.

bikedogrun

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
this more belongs in the jailbreak forum, but out of curiosity why are you getting a jailbroken phone and not just jailbreaking the one you had? or did you lose/break it previously? just curious....
Yup... previous was breaking down (both Mute & Vol-Up non-functional).

Would have jailbroken myself but happened to find a good one on eBay (I hope) that was already jailbroken with the new, untethered Redsnow on 5.0.1

/BD :cool:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreak(JB) is the OS, backup has settings and apps nothing to do with the OS so restoring the backup will do nothing to the phone. When you connect the phone and start up iTunes you wont need to choose restore from backup it will notice it's not an iPhone it previously synced with and should ask you if you want to restore from backup or start fresh. Now if the iPhone is unlocked I understand keeping the JB but like Massie said, maybe it's just the OCD in me, I would rather wipe the phone JB it and then restore from your backup.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro