Restore my JB iPhone 4S 5.1.1 to pure 5.1.1 (Errors 11, 1600, 3194)

iPoop

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have my year-old iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1.1 that was jailbroken as soon as Absinthe was made available and things have been fine (excluding a perceived reduction in battery life) until I did some messing around with the USB behavior (with the USB Mass Storage thing on Cydia, which doesn't work very well at all, actually) which didn't play nice with My-Wi. Also I can't seem to get my laptop to recognise my phone's Bluetooth either (so I can only tether with Wifi or USB, and USB is temperamental).

I'd like to "factory reset" my iPhone to iOS 5.1.1 without a jailbreak, so I can be sure my phone is still a-okay, and run some battery-life tests, and then re-jailbreak my phone.

Cydia saved my SHSH for 5.1.1 and 6.0.1 (even though I never installed 6.0.1 :S). TinyUmbrella v6.01.01 also transferred my blobs from Cydia to my local machine when I ran it today. I'm also running iTunes 11. I downloaded the 5.1.1 IPSW from Apple's website.

I followed the instructions here: How to downgrade or preserve the firmware of your iPhone

1. My phone enters DFU mode fine
  2. iTunes lets me specify the 5.1.1 IPSW file and it begins to unpack it
  3. iTunes seems to use the TinyUmbrella TSS server running on my computer and it begins to do something with the IPSW file
  4. Then I get this error message: "An unknown error occured (1600)"
  5. Apple says this issue is related to 1604, which is caused by using a bad USB cable or a USB hub (I was actually using a cheap iPhone cable bought off eBay, and it was plugged into the USB hub in my laptop's docking station, so I pulled-out my original Apple cable and plugged it directly into my computer, however I got the same 1600 error message
  6. I disabled TinyUmbrella and told it to use Apple's servers, but then I got error 3194 straight away when I selected the IPSW file (because Apple has stopped signing it, presumably)
  7. I tried some other things (including non-DFU Recovery Mode) and got an Error 11 somewhere - I forgot what I did exactly
  8. I also tried using Redsnow. The latest version I could see was 0.9.10b5c, which doesn't let me stitch my IPSW file because it says my phone model isn't supported.
  9. Oh, just now I found Redsnow 0.9.12b1, I tried Extras > Even More > Restore and used the Remote button (the Local button was disabled). It did some work and then gave me a blank error message with the caption "Couldn't restore".

My phone is still alive and working on 5.1.1, but I just want to restore it to stock 5.1.1. Is there any hope for me right now?

UPDATE:

I found Redsnow 0.9.15b3 and I thought I was having some success with it, but after I entered recovery mode to restore 5.1.1 it failed, saying it thinks I guessed my firmware 5.1.1 incorrectly. But I know my phone is 5.1.1. I heard there were two releases of 5.1.1 (an initial relese, then a "b" release). Is this true? If so, how can I be sure what is on my phone?

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, the latest redsnow should fetch your device information automatically, remotely from cydia, so it would be using the correct firmware and blobs...
But go to felixbruns.de and downlod that mysterious second release of 5.1.1 and see if it works that time!
It also matters that you choose the right version
CDMA
Or gsm

Edward Graham

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, the latest redsnow should fetch your device information automatically, remotely from cydia, so it would be using the correct firmware and blobs...
But go to felixbruns.de and downlod that mysterious second release of 5.1.1 and see if it works that time!
It also matters that you choose the right version
CDMA
Or gsm

I'm trying to find the second release for 4S but having trouble locating it. Are you referring to 5.1.1/9B208? If so I believe that is for iPhone 4 (GSM) not 4S, unless the one for 4S was pulled super quick!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
it is possible that the the second version of 5.1.1 was for a sepcific model, liuke the gsm or the cdma, meaning it wouldnt be available for both...
if laelipoo got it then it was a special update for gsm model only, i never received the 5.1.1 on my iphone 4 wich is cdma so...
its probably that, that second release was only for iphone 4 gsm model...
ok so lets revert this thread back to your original problem....
you are currently on 5.1.1 on a 4s.
technically speaking you should be able to "re-restore" with just a couple of clicks in redswnow...
however that isnt working for you...
1. redsn0w now lets you restore an A5+ device from any iOS5 to any other iOS5 as long as you have correct 5.x blobs for the starting (current) and ending points of the restore

APtickets eliminated “higher-version only” comparison of firmware restores (just like BBtickets did for the baseband)
example restores supported by redsn0w if you have the correct blobs: 5.1.1-to-5.0.1, 5.0.1-to-5.1.1, 5.1.1-to-5.1.1, 5.0.1-to-5.0.1
if you don’t have the blobs locally, let redsn0w try to fetch them remotely (redsn0w always tries both Apple and Cydia). Any succesful remote fetch also saves a local copy too.
2. You DO NOT QUALIFY for iOS5-to-iOS5 restores if you got to your current 5.x via an OTA update

the tickets saved by Cydia, redsn0w, and TinyUmbrella do not cover OTA update ramdisk images
even if they did, it’s the “wrong kind” of ramdisk (you’d need to start at that earlier pre-OTA FW)
devices fresh from factory or refurb may fall in the “does not qualify” category (your results will vary)
it’s okay if you previously got to 5.x via an OTA update, as long as your current 5.x was installed via a normal iTunes restore. All that matters is how you got to your current 5.x most recently
redsn0w detects an OTA/normal-restore APticket mismatch very early, so if you don’t know your status there should be no harm in trying. Any device in recovery mode after such a mismatch can boot normally again just by going back to “Even More” screen from the “Restore” screen (or use “Recovery Fix” if you quit redsn0w before doing that).

is it possible that you updated to 5.1.1 ota and dont remember???
for a fact i know that RedSnow15b3 will work, i dont even see the version that you somehow downloaded
however you need to make sure that you meet all those requirements above
let us know

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods