Restore Backup Missing Music?

minimejer05

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
So I got my iPhone 11 Pro Max on Friday and am absolutely loving it — the cameras, the speed and responsiveness and that awesome frosted/matte backing.

One major inconvenience I ran into during my restore from backup really ruined my day for me.

Back story — I’ve always had about 30-40GB of music on my iPhones from my CD collection over the years. A few months back, I finally pulled the trigger on Apple Music. When I did, it blended my own music with Apple Music just fine — I always download the songs to the device and never stream, when it comes to Apple Music tracks.

Anyways, Friday morning I did a full backup of my iPhone X to my Mac. Got home with 11 Pro Max and restored from that same backup. But I noticed that it didn’t transfer ANY of my music. After a little digging, I found that it displayed mostly everything through the Music app, but with the cloud next to albums/songs. So I had to manually redownload all 30ish GBs of music. Also, some CDs that I once had before won’t show up, because they’re not available on Apple Music.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have any idea what I did wrong? Going forward, I really don’t want to ever have to waste 3-4 hours manually downloading all of my songs again.

I’ve come to terms with probably not trying to mix my actual music with my Apple Music stuff, but is there not a way for the Mac backup to keep track of what Apple Music you have downloaded so that when I restore it puts them all onto new device?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not that I’m aware of. Looking back, I wish I had kept my cd-ripped music on an external drive like I do with my photos because it frustrates the heck out me when I find an old song that I like and discover that it was re-recorded.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I keep redundancy with my music

Have two flash drives and my laptop hard drive as back ups with the two flash drives at different locations

HofstraJet

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Most of my music is ripped. I never merged it with Apple Music as I'm afraid of what will happen if I cancel Apple Music - somehow I feel I will lose my files.

When the automatic transfer works, I then have to sync with iTunes to get all of my music back. When it doesn't work, I just do an encrypted backup with iTunes and restore from there, which then does a sync and sends all of the music to my iPhone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have any idea what I did wrong? Going forward, I really don’t want to ever have to waste 3-4 hours manually downloading all of my songs again.

I’ve come to terms with probably not trying to mix my actual music with my Apple Music stuff, but is there not a way for the Mac backup to keep track of what Apple Music you have downloaded so that when I restore it puts them all onto new device?

Unfortunately you have to redownload the music even if you backup/restore from iTunes. I basically just made a smart playlist on iTunes named “All” and I hit the download button to that playlist on my iPhone to let every song download once again.

I only had to do this once and never had to fumble around again.

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/tip-day-how-make-all-your-music-available-offline-apple-music

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Most of my music is ripped. I never merged it with Apple Music as I'm afraid of what will happen if I cancel Apple Music - somehow I feel I will lose my files.

If you keep the physical files on your Mac/Computer on the hard drive, cancel Music, those physical files will remain there. Only music you’ve added through Music will be deleted, your ripped music will be safe.
But like @kataran suggested, make a backup anyway, just in case. I did.

minimejer05

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately you have to redownload the music even if you backup/restore from iTunes. I basically just made a smart playlist on iTunes named “All” and I hit the download button to that playlist on my iPhone to let every song download once again.

I only had to do this once and never had to fumble around again.

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/tip-day-how-make-all-your-music-available-offline-apple-music

Thank you for this! Will try this next time!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro