Replacement Battery First Timer Macbook Pro 2017

GIacona

Mar 24, 2024
Visit site
Hey Everyone.

I have a 2017 Macbook Pro 15" with the touch bar and the battery is stating "service recommended". I have done plenty of these on Windows PC's but never on a MAC. I have priced on Microcenter and Apple to do the repair and it's going to cost around $300.00 for parts and labor. A buddy of mine told me about I fixit and I can get the battery, tools and supplies for about $110.00 and try to do this on my own.

Is this super difficult for someone who has never worked on Mac's before? I checked out the documentation and videos and it seems straight forward. My biggest concern is putting everything back in place such as the screws, etc.

Looking for any suggestions

Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone.

I have a 2017 Macbook Pro 15" with the touch bar and the battery is stating "service recommended". I have done plenty of these on Windows PC's but never on a MAC. I have priced on Microcenter and Apple to do the repair and it's going to cost around $300.00 for parts and labor. A buddy of mine told me about I fixit and I can get the battery, tools and supplies for about $110.00 and try to do this on my own.

Is this super difficult for someone who has never worked on Mac's before? I checked out the documentation and videos and it seems straight forward. My biggest concern is putting everything back in place such as the screws, etc.

Looking for any suggestions

Thanks

I’ve not taken apart a MBP before but I have taken apart a 2009 MacBook years ago and I swore I would never do it again. I can’t remember exactly what I was replacing .. I think it was a video cable. Replacing the actual part was a cinch, but my gosh, I had to take apart so many layers just to get to it and then put it back to exactly how it was didn’t go as I had hoped.

With that being said, if you have the patience, and the desire to do it then go for it. If not, leave it to the pros.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It used to be easy and relatively easy until the 2012 MacBook Pro.

When they moved to the HiDPI models in 2012, they made them non-user serviceable. That means it is much more difficult.

But if you are patient and extremely careful, it’s doable with the proper guide.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davinemichael37