repeated connection failure in email app

jmartini

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced the repeated connection failure alert box?

I've noticed this since upgrading to OS 3.1. I get the alert box mostly when unlocking the phone directly into email. The alert box will appear stating a connection failure and I have to touch OK to dismiss the box. It will immediately reappear with the same message, as if it is retrying to connect. I'll get it 8-10 times before it stops appearing. A PITA!

I've noticed that if I unlock to the home screen then go to email, it is less likely to happen.

Any ideas/advice?

jmartini

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I generally have 3G turned off to save battery and reduce heat when I'm home and rely on my wifi. Has there been an issue with connection using wifi?? Again, this only started in Sept. about the time I upgraded to 3.1.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I get the message all the time, I think even though you're home and Wifi is available the phone doesn't have the connection all the time. So when you open mail it tries to connect but can't until the Wifi connection refreshes itself. This is just my thought since that would explain what I notice. When I'm home I have Wifi and if I open Mail it will give me the error message twice and then I can see my Wifi signal at the top bar reappear and then mail works.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
the solution is to not turn off 3g and/or not jailbreak.

remember that the word "break" is in that term, or what you're risking doing to your phone

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I also have this problem. It started ever since I upgraded to 3.1.2 and JB with blackra1n... Any solution?

I've had the problem ever since I started using mail so it's not a firmware specific problem. However if you wake up your phone and open some other app that requires a data connection your Wifi will wake up/refresh then if you go into your mail the Wifi is already active you shouldn't get the error message. The message doesn't really bother me at all so I've never tried to resolve it but see if the trick above stops it.

jmartini

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I do notice:
- if I unlock the phone to the home screen, then go to mail, I don't get the connection error.

- if I unlock the phone to the mail app and get a connection error, I go to the home screen then back to mail and all is fine.

Does this mean that even though the wifi signal indicates full strength, the phone actually is not "connected" and going to mail right from unlock catches the phone before it reconnects? Just trying to get a handle in this.

And if this is the case, what has changed in OS3.1.2? It used to work fine before.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't tell what would be different in the newest firmware but I've had the problem since I've had my iPhone since I've never had a data plan on 2.x You don't need to go back out to homescreen if you just hit the reload button in mail it will check again using Wifi it may gave you the error again until the Wifi connection finally kicks in. Yes even though it shows full strength I don't think it is active until accessed mine shows full strength too.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR