• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Remote Hotspot Failure - iOs 8

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Ever since updating my iPad Air to iOs 8 and getting my iPhone 6, remote hotspot is no longer working.

It is activated with my carrier (Verizon), turned on on the iPhone and shows up under the Wifi settings on my iPad (it is different, though--it shows up under Personal Hotspots and displays the name of my iPhone, signal strength, which network and battery).

However, when I click that, I get the following message:

"Remote Hotspot Failure. Unable to start personal hotspot "Mike Elmendorf's iPhone"

In fact, I've only been able to connect to the iPhone hotspot once since the update on the iPad/new phone.

A Google search suggests I'm not the only one seeing this, but as of yet there seems to be no solution.

Any ideas out there? I thought this was supposed to work better with continuity....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an iPad Air to test it out for you, however, I do have an iPhone 5 running iOS 8.0.2 and a MacBook (early 2009) running OS X Mavericks v10.9.5, and as you can see from the screenshots, I am having no problems getting my MacBook to connect to my iPhone 5's personal hotspot feature.

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 4.58.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 4.58.25 PM.png

mslevyaz

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Ever since updating my iPad Air to iOs 8 and getting my iPhone 6, remote hotspot is no longer working.

It is activated with my carrier (Verizon), turned on on the iPhone and shows up under the Wifi settings on my iPad (it is different, though--it shows up under Personal Hotspots and displays the name of my iPhone, signal strength, which network and battery).

However, when I click that, I get the following message:

"Remote Hotspot Failure. Unable to start personal hotspot "Mike Elmendorf's iPhone"

In fact, I've only been able to connect to the iPhone hotspot once since the update on the iPad/new phone.

A Google search suggests I'm not the only one seeing this, but as of yet there seems to be no solution.

Any ideas out there? I thought this was supposed to work better with continuity....

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I was having that problem ever since I got the 6. However, recently it has been working fine. I dunno what happened. I didn't change anything.

Team George

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
It is really annoying me too - my mini won't connect when I try to tether and all I get is the same message as you - remote hotspot failure. I really hope 8.1 fixes it or I'll take it to Apple and ask for some kind of remedial action. You are not alone!

utrph77004

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Remote Hotspot Failure - iOS 8

I have had this problem since iOS 8's introduction as well. I've tried a variety of things: reset network settings, etc.

The one thing that I found worked is by changing the name of your iPhone, in Settings--> General--> About --> Name

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohammadreza