Reinstalled OS X on 2009 Macbook Pro

landont1991

Nov 30, 2020
Visit site
I'm sure there is a thread for this but my situation may be slightly different. I have a mid 2009 Macbook Pro. I bought a new one this year since it is essentially unable to be upgraded anymore. I replaced the hard-drive several years back and upgraded the RAM. It got me through the rest of college. I moved recently and a buddy that helped me move wanted it. I highly doubt it is even worth more than $100. I followed instructions on signing on out of everything. I used command option R and wiped the entire hard-drive. However, I had completely forgot that it wasn't the original hard-drive. It is failing to reinstall the copy of OS.

Message I am receiving: OS X could not be installed on your computer.
No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Which version of OS X are you trying to install/reinstall? Can you create a bootable install drive?

landont1991

Nov 30, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for the response! It had El Capitan installed prior to wiping the hard-drive. I am unsure on how to create a bootable install drive.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If the copy that you downloaded of El Capitan is older than late-2019, see also this article: https://tidbits.com/2019/10/28/redownload-archived-macos-installers-to-address-expired-certificates/ for why you may need to re-download the installer.

I think that may be why the recovery partition is not working to install the OS: that the recovery partition was created before the signing certificates expired in October 2019. That happened to me with an iMac I was trading in around that time, and making a bootable installer allowed me to re-install the OS before I shipped the system back.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73