refunded bumper from apple, another free case from app?

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I personally wouldn't want to mess with a company like Apple. We openly give our credit card information to them via iTunes.. they could just charge you for the extra case if they wanted.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I personally wouldn't want to mess with a company like Apple. We openly give our credit card information to them via iTunes.. they could just charge you for the extra case if they wanted.

Indeed like I said for every action there is a consequence. Sometimes folks don't realize that until that consequence happens! :) If Apple catches it and charges them good, if they don't then I suppose that is on Apple.

Rollingrock

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Is Apple allowing people to obtain a refund for purchasing a bumper case? ; Yes

Is Apple providing a free case along with the refund? : Yes

Apple is run by intelligent people, and you think they're not aware of people getting a refund and getting the free case? That in itself is quite funny.

And a 25 cent piece of plastic is still a 25 cent piece of plastic, no matter what price tag I throw on it. Apple is knowingly giving both the bumper and a free case to customers and this is unethical? lol

Rollingrock

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I think Apple has confused itself at this point. I did not d/l the case app this morning since I knew I'd be refunded. I got email this afternoon that my refund was being processed (has not appeared in my checking account yet). A few minutes ago I received a 2nd email from Apple telling me I was eligible for a free case and I should d/l the app and choose my case. So I did.

According to the few here, this is unethical! :p

Good for you! I would have done the same.

Now I wish they had bumpers in stock when I got my phone.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I am definitely judging the actions of some people and will continue to do so. There is no grey area here. Although there is much more to a person as a whole than just one action. I am not qualified to judge the whole person only judging the action. And it seems the OP has now changed his tune. So good job everyone!

With all these people trying to scam two cases out of apple do you really think it doesn't effect others around them? How about clogging up the system or causing shortages so others have to wait? Self centeredness (egoism) is the cause of most of our problems so let's practice some neighborly consideration

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
With all these people trying to scam two cases out of apple do you really think it doesn't effect others around them? How about clogging up the system or causing shortages so threes have to wait

You mean like all those people who only want a white iPhone but got a black iPhone (causing June 15th pre-orders to cause massive problems, and ridiculously long lines on June 24th)? All those people determined to only use the black iPhone until the white ones were released...but will now be stuck with the black ones cause the white are delayed and that "scam" didn't work?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Exactly! That's it! Now your thinking!

Sometimes things don't work out like we plan. But I try and do things that I can live with. If I wanted I
A white one I would've waited. But then I would have been disappointed. But not disappointed by my own actions. It is,after all, just a phone. An I had one so I would have been ok

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I am not a mod here, but you know everybody looks at things differently. Though I may not do something, others will and are within their prerogative to do so. No one here should be judging anyone or laying their moral values on anyone else. Time will take care of those who act without consideration for their actions in the form of consequences. Calling each other names in such a judgmental way isn't exactly a good example either.

I think if Apple gives folks a refund and then turns around and send them an email telling them to go get a free bumper or case many will do it. Apple needs to get their crap together! Many will feel that is on them and no judgement is necessary.

See this is the problem with the world no one thinks anyone else should get involved or tell them what they are doing right or wrong. It's the attitude like why should I get involved they'll get what's coming to them eventually. This is a forum where people voive their opinions maybe someone came in the thread looking to do the same thing and after reading this didn't or maybe it's the opposite that's life. The way I see it it's like you have 10G in your account you saved to buy a car you go to the bank machine and leave your card in there. Now by the logic if I see the balance 10G Damn they are rich I'll take 5Gs or more. So which person would you want walking up to the machine? Anyway like I said it's a forum it's not Sunday school so it's certainly not going to change anyone's mind.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You mean like all those people who only want a white iPhone but got a black iPhone (causing June 15th pre-orders to cause massive problems, and ridiculously long lines on June 24th)? All those people determined to only use the black iPhone until the white ones were released...but will now be stuck with the black ones cause the white are delayed and that "scam" didn't work?

Alli that's totally different if Apple had said we'll exchange the black phone for a white one or credit you if your order is not complete so you take the one you have for a refund and then use an app to order a free white one using the old phone's serial that would be more like this situation unless I got it all wrong?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I too received a email saying that I had been refunded and then right afterwords received a email telling me to download the app and select my free case, I did this as well. I don't think it's stealing, simply following instructions sent by apple. Personally I thought the bumper was garbage and haven't used it since iDay ... I am glad that they gave me another alternative.

Rollingrock

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad to hear you guys are not unethical by accepting their unadvertised gift to you for being a loyal customer.

And as the Apple rep said, "...enjoy your new case(s)!" :)

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, jsntrenkler. I guess that puts that discussion to rest.

Honestly I didn't feel bad about prior to calling them, I was just curious. I can't imagine apple allowing both emails to be sent out if they did not have that intention.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
People don't realize how smart Apple is and I'm sure they understand
what's going on. I honestly think Apple knows and figure a majority
of those who did get a bumper may have done so because of the
antenna issue and although some, like me who got one and didn't
have those issues they probably thought it didn't really matter or it
was either a good gesture to either give an extra one away.

deviladv

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
I hope a mod closes this thread after my post. Yes I know this thread is 3 days since last post, but I had to say something.

Some comments:

1) Nothing, absolutely nothing, is a black or white issue. By thinking moral issues are black or white you limit your thinking. When looking at issues you need to open your mind. Also make sure you look at it from multiple perspectives, because issues change depending on who you are.

2) This is a classic case of a "first world problem." Worrying about getting an extra free $30 case for your $200 phone and how this would affect a billion dollar company. Keep that in perspective when you tell someone that they are stealing.

3) Nobody likes to be told what is right or wrong. Of course we all have our opinions, but saying someone is stealing or is dishonest and telling them this is wrong is not the way to have a discussion of opinions. Saying "I don't believe that is an honest thing, here's why I think it's not honest, and I won't be doing that" is the most mature way of handling this. Telling someone they are stealing or dishonest and are outright wrong is less mature, particularly if that other person has what they think is a well reasoned opinion.

5) Apple is a HUGE corporation that continues to make money hand over fist. Taking advantage of a company that appears to have a loophole for someone to get two cases for free vs one is not the same thing as someone leaving their personal MAC card in the ATM and having someone come up and take their money. The impact of the latter is far bigger than the former. Apple can stand to send out a few more cases for free, whereas I'd be devastated if I lost $10,000. Besides, in both situations, dishonest people will take advantage of the situation, but there is fault to be laid at the victim, because they weren't careful enough. If the world was like it was in "The Invention of Lying" then all you would have to do is walk up to the teller and tell them how much was in your bank account. There wouldn't be any need for the card you left in the ATM machine.

6) Apple appears to be erring on the side of customer service. Apple probably doesn't care if you get a second case, because they want to guarantee everyone gets at least one. In fact they probably planned for it. In situations like this, if you are not secure enough, you might end up giving out too many cases, but if you are too secure, you could end up having glitches and marking someone as not eligible when they should be and pissing off people when you promised to give out cases to everyone. Then "Antennagate" blows up when a bunch of people come out and say they are denied these free cases by Apple and have proof they never bought one and the whole signal dropping thing doesn't go away like Apple wants it to.

But if Apple errs on the side of multiple cases, all you end up with is a bunch of weirdos commenting on the morality of asking for a second free case from Apple on some web forum talking about things other than signal issues ;)

Apple wins, consumers win, people who like debating morality win, it's all good! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2