Red Eye Fix

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
When I take a picture, and then fix the red eye with the built-in camera fix feature, and then transfer that photo to my PC through the usb cable, the red eye is back. I then look back on my phone, but the red eye does not exist there. Is there something that i am missing? or does the red eye fix only work for displaying photos on the phone itself?

Thanks

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I've never used the red eye reduction feature on the iPhone. I think the key word there is "reduction". I suspect when you change the resolution and or size of the image on your computer you get the red back. Use Photoshop, Lightroom or one of the free computer software packages out there and you might have better luck? I know I never have a problem when I use them.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Rene: Yes I am saving the picture after fixing it. It isn't with just one photo, it appears to be with all fixed photos. Did you try taking a photo, fixing red eye, then plug phone into PC and import photo and see if red eye still appears?

Sherlock: I do use Photoshop for designing media, but I chose to use the built-in feature to fix and message to family. Just easier than going to a computer, fixing, and then emailing. I only stumbled upon this scenario because once a month I will take all photos off device and place on PC, then backup to DropBox.

I have posted in another thread about having in issue with taking several photos, and the last photo would appear within the camera app lower left-hand box, but none of the pictures would appear within the camera roll. Sometimes I had to hard restart the device in order for the pictures to appear there. I am wondering if it is the device itself.

Any thoughts?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So here is an update and I hope someone can try this as well.

I wiped my iphone back to factory and emailed myself the photo (with red eye as an attachment) taken with the iPhone from 2 days ago. I then saved the image to the phone, and magically the red eye was gone. I can look at the same image within the email and that one has red eye. I then emailed myself the photo without red eye to my PC and the red eye didn't come back (a plus).

When i first put these photos on my PC (iphone directly plugged in and PC running Windows XP) i used Microsoft's basic import/camera program. Could that be where the problem is?

And this isn't just one photo, it is happening to all photos with red eye.

Any thoughts??????????????????????????

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I've never used the red eye reduction feature on the iPhone. I think the key word there is "reduction". I suspect when you change the resolution and or size of the image on your computer you get the red back. Use Photoshop, Lightroom or one of the free computer software packages out there and you might have better luck? I know I never have a problem when I use them.

You could be right about changing the size of the image and then the red eye coming back. But i am simply plugging the phone into my PC and importing through Windows XP standard import software. I have also tried going into My Computer and opening iPhone, copied all photos, and pasted them on my desktop. Again, all photos has red eye. So it's safe to assume that the red eye reduction only maintains itself when viewed on an iPhone? How dumb! Why have it at all.

Etermonk

Banned
Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
xMatter - is it possible that the image you originally removed the red eye from remains on your iPhone? You say that you reset your iPhone to factory settings. Bear in mind that if you chose to restore from backup, this would restore back your Camera Roll photos into your iPhone.

If the photo(s) you removed the red eye from were in the Camera Roll before you restored, they would be back in your iPhone after you restored.

The key is to transfer the photos as they are currently from your iPhone to your PC and see whether red-eye reduction is present on the newly-transferred photos or not.

On the other hand, I would not be surprised if Apple has decided to keep the red-eye corrections you make only "active" on the iPhone - i.e. changes are not actually made on the photo but only associated with it.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
EterMonk: When I wiped my phone, I plugged it into PC, run iTunes and downloaded the fresh OS to install. No restore was done. Even prior to doing the wipe, I removed all photos from device.

I did transfer photos from phone to pc using Microsoft's XP import wizard. Like I said in an earlier post, after wiping my phone, I emailed my photo from my PC back to the phone, and the red eye was gone. So this red eye reduction must be attached to the photo and only on iphones. I sent the photo to my wife's 4 and there was no red eye. I am going to take another photo in the dark to obtain red eye, then upload to my Skydrive FROM my iPhone and see if that works. I will also import red eye photos using a Windows 7 machine and see if anything changes. It could be something with Windows XP that might be causing the red eye to appear.

But again, I ALSO wouldn't be surprised if Apple has red eye reducation set to only display and save on their particular OS devices.

Thanks for all your information.

Etermonk

Banned
Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
But again, I ALSO wouldn't be surprised if Apple has red eye reducation set to only display and save on their particular OS devices.

Tried to google anything confirming the matter without significant success. I guess just as iTunes keeps star-rating and playcount track data strictly within the *.xml file not affecting track files themselves, red-eye reduction photo edits are saved in a similar way. This sux.

Same with iTunes Match service (which brings your songs to the iCloud). If you ever used it, you would notice that despite you being able to technically play the tracks on your iPhone but they are not physically existent there. In short: "unpleasantly weird".

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Well is am reopening this thread to see if anyone has experienced this. Members who already responded, please feel free to respond again. So I have taken excellent photos from the holidays yesterday and some needed red eye removed. I have used the auto enhance to remove red eye and fix the colors, clicked save. exited photos/camera app and restarted device. Then went back into Photos > Camera Roll and pictures remained fixed. I sent one as a message to another iPhone user sitting next to me, and it was still fixed on her iPhone. I then emailed the photo to my Windows Live account, then downloaded it and it still was fixed. I then uploaded it using the SkyDrive app and it was NOT fixed. Then I imported it through Windows 7 and it was NOT fixed. I also went directly into the HD of my iPhone and copied the photos over to my desktop, and they were NOT fixed.

So out of all of that, other iPhone users and emailing the photo can see and save the FIXED images. Nothing else has worked. Any thoughts?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2