Recommendation

Kami-San

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys, i am new here and i have been an android user so far. I just wanted to give iOS a try and thought i'm getting myself an iPad. I am not sure which one though or if i even should get an iPad.

I am studying computer science (almost finished though) so i would get it for private purposes only. Mainly playing some mobile games, watching videos, listening to music and such things. There are a few reasons why i want an iPad (or a tablet in general).

I want a bigger screen for videos/games etc.
I would like to get in touch with iOS since i have been using android only so far. So i am curious about that and want to try it out myself. Since the new Samsung Galaxy S8 has that annoying Edge Display (i currently own a older Galaxy Edge, i am not a fan of it to be honest) i probably won't be getting that. So i might get an iPhone in the near future, that means if iOS leaves a good impression.

Not sure if there is anything relevant left. Anyways if you think i should get an iPad... i am not sure which one.
If i am getting one i am leaning towards the iPad Pro 9.7. I think the mini will be too small and the 12.9 too big. That would leave the iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Air 2 and the new iPad.

I don't know if i ever need/want stuff like the apple pencil. For it is just for private purposes only. But if i ever going to need that pencil i could just get it since i have the right iPad for that.

So. What do you guys think? Should i get an iPad? If yes which one would you recommend? Or do you think i should just get a tablet like the nvidia shield or better get a macbook or whatever? Let me know!

Lastly: Do you got one for private reasons or for your job?
What do you do with your iPads while not being at work?
Just watching videos/playing games/reading ebooks/...?
Just tell me why you bought one! I am interested in your stories.

Thanks in advance!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Greetings and salutations. Welcome to iMore.

I started out in iOS almost the exact same way. I got my wife's iPad 2 and started playing. A few months later I decided to get an iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad Pro and Apple TV. Now the only thing I'm missing is a Mac.

I got the 9.7" iPad Pro 128 gig. I'm also a ProAV (audio / video) integrator so I use mine a lot for work, and I also have the Apple Pencil. Just like you see on HGTV with all the home shows and the folks using those apps on iPads, I have the same apps but for A/V design, integration and installation. When I'm not working (like today) I use mine for reading, movies, and games. I have several word search and crossword puzzle games and a few WWII flying/shooter games. I also subscribe to Apple Music.

If you are looking to get an iPad, let's start with how much you are going to spend. That's going to determine what you can get. And the same for storage. If you can afford an iPad Pro 9.7" 128 gig, then by all means get it. However, you're looking at $699 for a wifi only.

With the release of the 2017 iPads, you may be able to pick up a used iPad Pro at a good price.

Kami-San

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Hey Lee_Bo!

Thank you for your answer. I try to keep it a bit short this time.

So you think the Pro 9.7 would be fitting? I would like to get the bigger one for some reason because bigger=better. But i guess i would be going too far. Not sure though!

I'm not sure how much space iOS apps need but my phone is a 128gb phone and i have about 95gb left. So i guess a 32gb model would be enough.

WiFi only shouldn't be an issue since i would mainly use it at home. I can also open a hotspot with my mobile if i want to use it with no WiFi available.

I was probably going to get a refurbished iPad from Apple itself since the student discounts are a joke sadly.
Also: The 32gb version is at 679€ where i live, 789€ for the 128gb version. Refurbished iPads are about 100€ cheaper.

Oh and before i forget: I have no store or anything near me to try them out or something! Before someone suggests it.

Last edited:

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I used to have a Samsung Note Pro 12.3 and it was way too big, had zero portability. When I came back to Apple I got an iPad. Now I'm on iPad Pro 9.7 and it's really the sweet spot: portable and plenty of screen real estate.

I do everything with it since I no longer use my old MacBook.
From working in the field to recovering at home
ebbb6b45dec90541a247084853f1ee99.jpg

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Greetings and salutations. Welcome to iMore.

I started out in iOS almost the exact same way. I got my wife's iPad 2 and started playing. A few months later I decided to get an iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad Pro and Apple TV. Now the only thing I'm missing is a Mac.

I got the 9.7" iPad Pro 128 gig. I'm also a ProAV (audio / video) integrator so I use mine a lot for work, and I also have the Apple Pencil. Just like you see on HGTV with all the home shows and the folks using those apps on iPads, I have the same apps but for A/V design, integration and installation. When I'm not working (like today) I use mine for reading, movies, and games. I have several word search and crossword puzzle games and a few WWII flying/shooter games. I also subscribe to Apple Music.

If you are looking to get an iPad, let's start with how much you are going to spend. That's going to determine what you can get. And the same for storage. If you can afford an iPad Pro 9.7" 128 gig, then by all means get it. However, you're looking at $699 for a wifi only.

With the release of the 2017 iPads, you may be able to pick up a used iPad Pro at a good price.

Are the Pros like the other iPads with no true GPS unless you go with the LTE model? That's always been a deciding factor for me as I use map apps a lot.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted to give iOS a try and thought i'm getting myself an iPad. Mainly playing some mobile games, watching videos, listening to music and such things. I want a bigger screen for videos/games etc. I am leaning towards the iPad Pro 9.7. So. What do you guys think? Should i get an iPad?

Based on what you intend to use the iPad for, I think it would be a great addition to your mobile collection. Regarding the size, The 9.7" Pro model would be the best option. Just for longevity purposes and since you like playing games and watching videos. The improved speaker system would definitely come in handy. :D

I mostly use my iPad for social media and watching youtube videos. It doesn't really get pushed more than that but its a little more portable and comfortable to use than my Macbook Pro in bed.. I see in a couple posts above me, you are looking at the iPad 9.7". Let us know what you decide on!

Kami-San

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Hey Matty!

Thank you for the answer. I am probably going to get the 9.7 Pro but i am still looking for some discounts to save on (pretty hard though!) and have to decide if i get it with 32gb or 128gb...

Edit: Just saw there's an offer for the new iPad (2017). 128gb for like 420 bucks. Need to check what the differences are...

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey Matty!

Thank you for the answer. I am probably going to get the 9.7 Pro but i am still looking for some discounts to save on (pretty hard though!) and have to decide if i get it with 32gb or 128gb...

Edit: Just saw there's an offer for the new iPad (2017). 128gb for like 420 bucks. Need to check what the differences are...

The major differences, at least from what I can remember off the top of my head: First, the iPad Pro is slightly faster, some benchmarks I've seen put it about 10% faster than the iPad (2017). The Pro uses the A9X chip, the iPad the A9; my understanding is that the difference in the two chips is largely a faster clock speed.

The iPad Pro has a somewhat better looking display. The iPad Pro has a laminated screen and has an anti-reflective coating -- this means less reflections, particularly in brighter light. The non-laminated screen on the iPad allows you to see a "gap," maybe a mm, between the top glass and the LCD panel; on the Pro the glass is essentially "glued" to the LCD so there is no gap. Additionally, the Pro (9.7) has a TrueTone display; the Pro uses sensors to evaluate the lighting of your locations and subtly alters the colors so that the screen looks natural in your current lighting conditions.

The iPad Pro has the Smart connector, it is the dots located on the left side of the Pro. The main accessory I'm currently aware of that uses it is Apple's Smart Keyboard and some third party companies are building accessories based on this connector. The Pro can also use the Apple Pencil.

The last major difference is that the iPad is $270 less than the Pro -- and you are more likely to find discounts on the iPad.

The iPad pro also has better cameras. The iPad has a rear 8MP camera and only shoots up to 1080P video. and the front is a 1.2MP (720P video). The Pro has a 12MP camera in the rear, and can shoot 4K video, the front camera is 5MP and can take 1080P video. Neither model has optical image stabilization.

Last, the iPad is thicker and heavier than the Pro, though likely not enough that you'd notice it in day to day use.

If I missed something, I'm sure someone else will mention it. I'd recommend, if you have an Apple Store close (or a Best Buy that puts Apple products on display) is to go and compare the two side by side, particularly with the screen and size as differences. From what you mention above, I think both would work great for you; just whether the additional features, particularly the screen, are worth the difference in cost for you.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I think I will just order myself a iPad Pro. Thanks for all the info on this thread. I haven't had an iPad since the first generation.

Now the question is which Pro?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Which pro depends on your needs. I need portability so I chose the baby pro 9.7
I find plenty enough of screen real estate for my needs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRizzlemeup