Reasons why YOU jailbreak?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i have been playing the jailbreak game for over 2 years now and i do have to say i have learned quite a bit. a lot from this very same place, thanks to some wonderful and patient members. also google was/is a very good friend!

at first i was all about themes and other customizations.. now i am happy with just making the workability of the device BETTER (because we all know that Apples notification system, currently, sucks) i still like to do some minor cosmetic things but it can be very time consuming when you get deep into the theming scene

here are some of the reasons why I, currently, jailbreak:

AskToSend (great way to proofread a text or email before you send it out, it also checks for blank subjects within an email)

biteSMS ( if Apple does not make their SMS system similar to this then they have failed, IMO)

FullScreen for Safari (it is very difficult for me to use the stock version after using this brilliant tweak)

iFile (if you like complete control over your system files by using your device, then this is a must have. money well spent)

LockInfo (of course. amazing tweak with amazing support)

Mobile Terminal (very important if security is a concern)

MyWi (very controversial app/tweak.. i have been using this since the day i have been jailbroken. i do not "abuse" it like some reports i have read but it appears it may have ran it's course. i guess i am $ ahead?)

Popup Blocker (for some reason Apple feels it necessary to shove notifications in your face when one is received. this will eliminate that and when integrated with LockInfo it makes the perfect setup)

PlayAwake (allows you to play your iPod music when alarms are set. yes i know there are Apps in the AppStore for this. i'd rather donate my money here)

Screendimmer (if you like complete control over how your screen dims in any situation as well as save battery life, then this is the tweak for you)

Sbsettings and Activator (very useful tweaks that allow you have a lot of control over your system within minimal gestures, even from your lockscreen, if preferred)

SpringClean (gives you a lot of customization without the use of winterboard, if that matters to you)

WinterBoard (Epic tweak that opens up the world to theming. my current uses for this are Transparent Statusbar & HTC Clock HD for LockInfo)

of course i have left out some others but these are my main reasons (currently) obviously this list can fluctuate over time

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Because I can :D LOL just wanted to be a smart ass :D

When I got my first gen iPhone JBing was a necessity for me since Canada didn't get the iPhone until 3G. So not only did we not have the phone there were no data plans. So I JB and unlocked for all the firmware until I moved to a 3G. When I moved up I had learned that I didn't need a data plan because 90% of my day is spent in Wifi locations. So I was permanently JBen for 4 years since I needed SBSettings to turn off data and to be unlocked. The first time I ever ran a vanilla iPhone was my iPhone 4 with iOS 4 which allowed me to turn off the data on the phone. However I have since JBen because the stock OS just doesn't do it for me. I'm a very aesthetic person who loves customizing, you would be able to tell by my modded VDub. I also don't use alot of JB apps like you I keep it to the ones that perform a function for me. I download themes but then I SSH them to my computer and take parts that I like combining it with my own custom theme. So I only ever run one theme in Winterboard. The thing most members of Team Pure say over and over is "it just works", in the 4 years I have been JBen I have NEVER had my phone not work EVER. I had a problem once with Winterboard that would put my phone into Safe Mode. I uninstalled it and my phone was perfect. So I'm not buying that personally but it is their choice I just think they stick to that excuse in order to rationalize their reasons. My JB app are:

Winterboard-As a newly customizing themer this is my #1 drug of choice :D I use it most often as I customize and add elements to my slider or theme and need to respring.

Bite SMS-This is a god send, when I went to 4.3 pure I almost sold my phone to buy a JBen one. The stock SMS system SUCKS!!!! and even if it sucked but allowed atleast 2 or 3 custom tones I might be able to tolerate it. They better fix it in 5.

LockInfo- I love this but only on my iPad, the screen on my iPhone for me personally is just too small to run this in any beneficial way.

iFile-Awesome tool for quick access to the file system of your phone when your computer isn't around.

OpenSSH-I was first introduced to this when it was a necessary part of the JB procedure on the first gen iPhone. However now that I'm customizing my themes it is invaluable allowing me to get into the OS and root around and learn more about how it ticks.

As a final this is why I JB

img0369.png

img0370o.png

img0371t.png

img0372.png

Last edited:

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a BlackBerry, I only lasted a couple of weeks with the stock ViP. I got used to not having the blinking LED notifications (although I'd love to see them in the iPhone at some point), but I just couldn't deal with the lack of profile settings. The only options were/are sounds on or sounds off with vibrate---you've got to be kidding me! I knew the sounds would be more limited with the ViP, but still...

After doing a lot of reading and research, I finally JB so I could get the MyProfiles app. It let me set custom profile notifications and I was in heaven; it has worked flawlessly for me and is still my #1 app.

I've since added numerous JB apps including AutoResponder, biteSMS, Fake Operator, Five Icon Dock, Folder Enhancer, Iconoclasm, iFile, OpenSSH, Popup Blocker, SBSettings, SpringMe, WeatherIcon, WinterBoard, and 5-Row Keyboard, all of which have become "must haves" for me. I've got other apps and themes for different looks when I get bored, but those aren't imperative.

I am a permanent and proud member of Team Jailbreak! :D

iPhoneGleek

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a iPod touch before I got my iPhone and jailbroke it because of themes and what not but didn't end up using it too much. But when I got my iPhone I was debating on whether or not to jailbreak, thankfully I did. I discovered some great apps and tweaks like bite SMS and MyWi, folder enhancer and a lob more. But no only the apps some of the tweaks are definitely needed like ask to call or opening the phone app to the dial pad!

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I make themes, so WinterBoard.
I travel a lot, so Facebreak.
I have OCD about my iPhone, so Infinifolders.
I'm too lazy to navigate to settings, so SBSettings.
Lockinfo...It's cool.
SNES emulator...It's cool.
But the main reason, and the one reason I ever jailbroke in the first place-I'm a nerd, and I did it just to do it.

hbcbob573

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
The reasons why I jailbreak...

biteSMS
LockInfo
MyWi

...and to a lesser note...
Shrink, Scrollingboard and Parallax

biteSMS and LockInfo are the big two because Apple's notification system SUCKS! My fiance' has a 3GS also and I can't stand their notifications. And their messages app leaves A LOT to be desired. They don't even need all the features of biteSMS, but if they had something like quick reply and quick compose I would be happy, and also integrate something like lockinfo or Grip type notifications I would be completely happy and deal without the other jailbreak apps.

Shrink and parallax are cool, but for looks only. Scrollingboard is cool and adds a bit more functionality, but I wouldn't have it if it wasn't for Shrink. The only other app that I really use for it's functionality is MyWi (or something like tethering). And then again, I don't use it like I used to as I don't travel for work anymore, so I could do without.

To reiterate, my biggest gripe (after jailbreaking and finding out that the grass is indeed greener on the other side) is Apple's crappy ass notification system. Once they change that to something like webOS's or incorporate biteSMS type notifications or LockInfo or ANYTHING other than what they have, I would be fine and may not jailbreak ever again.

EDIT: I left out SBSettings. It's up there on the list, although not quite as high as biteSMS or LockInfo, but it's probably number 3 ahead of MyWi. There needs to be some sort of toggles (especially for data, 3g, and wifi toggling) like they have for HTC Androids. Something that is quick and easy to get to.

*Sigh* rant over.

Last edited:

zachslusser

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Because I can :D LOL just wanted to be a smart ass :D

When I got my first gen iPhone JBing was a necessity for me since Canada didn't get the iPhone until 3G. So not only did we not have the phone there were no data plans. So I JB and unlocked for all the firmware until I moved to a 3G. When I moved up I had learned that I didn't need a data plan because 90% of my day is spent in Wifi locations. So I was permanently JBen for 4 years since I needed SBSettings to turn off data and to be unlocked. The first time I ever ran a vanilla iPhone was my iPhone 4 with iOS 4 which allowed me to turn off the data on the phone. However I have since JBen because the stock OS just doesn't do it for me. I'm a very aesthetic person who loves customizing, you would be able to tell by my modded VDub. I also don't use alot of JB apps like you I keep it to the ones that perform a function for me. I download themes but then I SSH them to my computer and take parts that I like combining it with my own custom theme. So I only ever run one theme in Winterboard. The thing most members of Team Pure say over and over is "it just works", in the 4 years I have been JBen I have NEVER had my phone not work EVER. I had a problem once with Winterboard that would put my phone into Safe Mode. I uninstalled it and my phone was perfect. So I'm not buying that personally but it is their choice I just think they stick to that excuse in order to rationalize their reasons. My JB app are:

Winterboard-As a newly customizing themer this is my #1 drug of choice :D I use it most often as I customize and add elements to my slider or theme and need to respring.

Bite SMS-This is a god send, when I went to 4.3 pure I almost sold my phone to buy a JBen one. The stock SMS system SUCKS!!!! and even if it sucked but allowed atleast 2 or 3 custom tones I might be able to tolerate it. They better fix it in 5.

LockInfo- I love this but only on my iPad, the screen on my iPhone for me personally is just too small to run this in any beneficial way.

iFile-Awesome tool for quick access to the file system of your phone when your computer isn't around.

OpenSSH-I was first introduced to this when it was a necessary part of the JB procedure on the first gen iPhone. However now that I'm customizing my themes it is invaluable allowing me to get into the OS and root around and learn more about how it ticks.

As a final this is why I JB

img0369.png

img0370o.png

img0371t.png

img0372.png

What theme is this. I tried looking for it by the name in the last picture but can't find it. What's the source.

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Having an unlimited data plan....

?My3g - is a MUST have. Sending/receiving large emails. FaceTime'ing my wife/kids while away from home. AND the time I had to download Navigon from the App store on the road when my Garmin was stolen while taking a rest stop.

Plus about 80% of the tweaks listed above!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
What theme is this. I tried looking for it by the name in the last picture but can't find it. What's the source.

Sorry I didn't catch this you should have PMed me. It's my own custom theme incorporating elements of the Carbon X and jPhone with my own customizations. So email me and I'll hook you up.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i have been playing the jailbreak game for over 2 years now and i do have to say i have learned quite a bit. a lot from this very same place, thanks to some wonderful and patient members. also google was/is a very good friend!

at first i was all about themes and other customizations.. now i am happy with just making the workability of the device BETTER (because we all know that Apples notification system, currently, sucks) i still like to do some minor cosmetic things but it can be very time consuming when you get deep into the theming scene

here are some of the reasons why I, currently, jailbreak:

AskToSend (great way to proofread a text or email before you send it out, it also checks for blank subjects within an email)

biteSMS ( if Apple does not make their SMS system similar to this then they have failed, IMO)

FullScreen for Safari (it is very difficult for me to use the stock version after using this brilliant tweak)

iFile (if you like complete control over your system files by using your device, then this is a must have. money well spent)

LockInfo (of course. amazing tweak with amazing support)

Mobile Terminal (very important if security is a concern)

MyWi (very controversial app/tweak.. i have been using this since the day i have been jailbroken. i do not "abuse" it like some reports i have read but it appears it may have ran it's course. i guess i am $ ahead?)

Popup Blocker (for some reason Apple feels it necessary to shove notifications in your face when one is received. this will eliminate that and when integrated with LockInfo it makes the perfect setup)

PlayAwake (allows you to play your iPod music when alarms are set. yes i know there are Apps in the AppStore for this. i'd rather donate my money here)

Screendimmer (if you like complete control over how your screen dims in any situation as well as save battery life, then this is the tweak for you)

Sbsettings and Activator (very useful tweaks that allow you have a lot of control over your system within minimal gestures, even from your lockscreen, if preferred)

SpringClean (gives you a lot of customization without the use of winterboard, if that matters to you)

WinterBoard (Epic tweak that opens up the world to theming. my current uses for this are Transparent Statusbar & HTC Clock HD for LockInfo)

of course i have left out some others but these are my main reasons (currently) obviously this list can fluctuate over time

LOL, this guy ^

i do not know if it is because i am running out of reasons to jailbreak but i feel less inclined to do it as time goes on :confused:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Great topic BLiNK,

Everyone thinks that people jailbreak to "play with" "theme" and "customize" their phone with themes, which therefore makes it slower buggier, blah blah blah...

However,

Then there's us no-nonsense Jailbreakers who change the device to add functionality that should be there already.

And I'm not going to be obscure here.

? Make the rotation lock on BOTH sides
? Get a fullscreen in the Safari browser
? Make your phone work with any carrier
? Access to all Siri dialects

And that's pretty much it, it's a luxury.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
My reasons for jailbreaking are:

NCSettings
BiteSMS
SMS GV Extension
Activator

All of these just make using an iOS device that much better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I jailbreak all my iOS devices is for the customization ability. I like to change themes every few days.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I go back and forth. I get the JB bug and I use it for awhile, but because of my job I need to test new versions of iOS. So my JB's usually make it to the next update.

But when I am JB'd it is really for BiteSMS. I am a big txt'r and Bite makes it awesome for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox