Really slow download speeds over wifi

Ulairi

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting really slow download speeds with my new iPhone 5 over our network. I'm getting 10mb/s down via speedtest app but the apps are downloading really slow. right now, we're using the cable companies wifi and we will be switching to our Time Capsule this weekend. will that help speed things up? Do the cable companies throttle the app store?

Thanks!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The internet providers are never going to throttle your specifics, they'll just generally throttle your speeds all around...so if it's only the app store DL's you're having an issue with, it's probably going to be something more local. There are a few things I would try...

If a simple hard restart isn't fixing this issue (holding power and home down until phone restarts), continue below...

- Reset your network settings (under general settings and 'reset'...make sure you have any network passwords you use before hand because this will cause you to have to re-enter them)
- It never hurts to reset your modem and router...and do it in that order...unplug both, let your modem initialize and then plug in your router and allow it to full boot up before trying to connect to it.
- If you have a router capable of multiple networks (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands), try switching to the other network (whichever one you're not using)...sometimes the iPhone (in the past) has had issues connecting to the 5Ghz bands, so depending on what firmware you're running, you could still be experiencing this (the most recent firmware should not have this issue)

...try those things and see if you're still having problems. Outside of that, sometimes the app store and iTunes are just slow (especially if they are loading new things to them, updating the versions of them or just generally doing maintenance)...if this kind of poor performance continues after you've done all of these things, and you're not experiencing at any specific time of day (evenings are usually provider "peak" hours and can cause slow downs), you may have to schedule a genius bar appointment at an apple store to see about getting your iPhone replaced.

Good luck!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting really slow download speeds with my new iPhone 5 over our network. I'm getting 10mb/s down via speedtest app but the apps are downloading really slow. right now, we're using the cable companies wifi and we will be switching to our Time Capsule this weekend. will that help speed things up? Do the cable companies throttle the app store?

Thanks!
I would try some of the things that Sean posted above and see if it helps. The slow speeds that you are seeing could be the result of an overloaded ISP, especially if you are sharing a connection with other people around you. I had this problem back when I was using Comcast as my ISP, until we switched to Verizon FIOS. With FIOS we are no longer sharing an internet connection with others in our area. You said you are switching so hopefully this will solve your problem.

baayers

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I would try some of the things that Sean posted above and see if it helps. The slow speeds that you are seeing could be the result of an overloaded ISP, especially if you are sharing a connection with other people around you. I had this problem back when I was using Comcast as my ISP, until we switched to Verizon FIOS. With FIOS we are no longer sharing an internet connection with others in our area. You said you are switching so hopefully this will solve your problem.

There is nothing worse than trying to use a cable connection when the area is overloaded. That can make basic DSL feel like FIOS lol.

To the OP. Who is the cable provider?

There are some areas that use PowerBoost to provide a temporary speed increase which will show up in speedtest.net results however that is normally limited to between 10-50MB of download then it goes beck to your normal speed. Comcast licenses the use of PowerBoost to other companies so it is possible your company may be using it. For Example Charter was using it in my area but stopped about a year ago when they upped their minimum package speeds however I still run across people with older plans who still have it.

johnba1dwin

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I searched high and low on the internet to fix my Verizon FIOS wifi. I am paying for 75mbps and was having to use LTE data plan to actually have my iPhone 5 work for the internet. After trying everything (i.e.: reset network settings, changing DNS, restoring phone, etc) all would work for a total of 3 minutes then time out again. Well I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION....on your router settings change your encryption method which most everyone uses WEP2 down to WEP (uses a 10 number PW). Once I did that, turned WIFI back on via iPhone settings, put in my new PW...BOOM! Not only does it work....it works as fast as FIOS actually states. My PC's and MacBook would work great but my iPhone never would. This has been on both my iPhone 4s and my iPhone 5. Now after changing my security settings from WEP2 down to WEP (still uses a PW btw)...everything is lightning fast and consistently stable. As others have said, it's a bug Apple never addressed in iOS6 which hopefully will be fixed in iOS7. You can read all about how it's less secure than WEP2 or how it should be Apple's responsibility, but in the end you just want it to work and it does just that! Unless your running a mainstream business, then WEP security is really no less secure than WEP2 since everyone has the Internet at home these days and people are not sitting outside your house trying to hack your family wifi like it's 1999. It still requires a PW so neighbors can't connect and take your bandwidth. For all the Android fans....go ahead and state whatever...in the end one little problem is now fixed and the iPhone will always have less bugs than Android. Cheers!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox