"Real" Books or eReader?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Lately I gave been using my devices, my iPhone with hoopla and overdrive for audio books, and my iPad and computers for books and magazines with iBooks, Kindle and Zinio, BUT I know some people who just prefer paper books and magazines. I myself was that way with magazines for a long time BUT I have come around.

So what do you think? Are you on the eReader/use your device band wagon, or do you prefer the old fashion book? And if so why? Lately for me my passion is listening to audio books while I travel or as I run errands.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Audio books don't work well for me because I get distracted to easily and would lose the plot haha.

I don't mind reading an e-book to understand a concept for school but it can only be a couple pages. If I'm doing some reading for a long period of time then I like the good 'ol fashioned hard cover book :)

I know we must save the trees but I'm happy to recycle the book when I'm finished 😃

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been doing audiobooks but of late I've found that I like to have the physical book in hand. It's like when I have my device in hand, reading is not what I'm looking to do. With physical, I know what it is when i take it off the shelf.

KaterKarlo

May 24, 2017
Visit site
I like physical books, but when it's a book I'll only read one time (which you know sometimes), then I'll buy it on my kinde. And I rely on paper when it comes to studying, so books will never go away in my life :) I'd rather sit in a library with real books than thousands of screens or just in an empty room with only one ereader
btw I found mine here (it's german, I'm sorry: http://www.welcher-ebook-reader.com/ )

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
"Real" Books or eReader?

It really doesn't matter to me, to be quite honest. Having said that, I've spent money on eBooks (both on the Amazon Paperwhite and Barnes & Noble Nook) so it only makes sense for me to choose the eReader option for the sake of this thread....

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Ebooks by choice ever since the Bookeen Cybook Gen3 e-reader I got in 2007. Audiobooks for long walks and hikes and before bed (digital as well, not cassette tapes!). Rarely a physical book—only when no ebook is available and it's a nonfiction work I really want to read.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I read mostly ebooks nowadays, just for convenience, I can see a hundred actual books from where I'm sitting,I haven't given them up. Like most people nowadays I always have my phone, and I have several reading and library apps on that and unlike a lot of people I don't carry a blasted backpack everywhere, so nowhere to put a book if I wanted to.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
eBooks via Kindle. Cheap eReaders and apps for every platform. Started with iBooks, but an iPad is too expensive. Kindle Fire was only $70 and works quite well.

For educational material, the eReaders are great. Easy dictionary access and you can get narration for novels on the cheap, or go with audiobooks.

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Nice thread! I used to love paperback and hardcovers then i was in love with kindle/ ebooks but now i am in love with paperbacks and hardcovers again! Haha!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm going crazy for audio of late! Just something about having a book read to me, especially from a dynamic reader OR group of readers.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've pretty much migrated to the Kindle app on my iPad. There are times, however when I'm in a situation where any type of electronic devices (phones, tablets, etc.) are prohibited, so I pick up a paperback book or magazines.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've been doing audiobooks but of late I've found that I like to have the physical book in hand. It's like when I have my device in hand, reading is not what I'm looking to do. With physical, I know what it is when i take it off the shelf.

I do this too!

B_Ross

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
I'll always have to say real book just due to the fact that an eReader doesn't feel enough like a normal book to me. Plus I'd be worried that the eReader would keep me up at night from the light.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The electronic format took over in my world in two stages. That doesn’t mean I don’t like real books.

First, my work in IT admin requires reference and text books. I used to keep + or - 1000 page books with me or near and e books solved the bulk and weight issues the same time they made search a nice feature.

Next came my being able to keep at reading more with electronic format. Instead of leave some personal reading on a table or desk for days to months I kept reading during a lunch break or if I was on hold in a phone call.

I use my public library system and that’s another area where electronic format has been a plus. Time saved and no being caught with an overdue book.

Now I see the quality of the Max phone screen as another plus for the electronic format.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
While my preferred method is physical books, I like the ease (and convenience) of reading books on my iPad, usually via Apple Books.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods