Ready to switch to iPhone

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I already posted this in the Questions section, sorry Mods. I just didn't realize I wasn't logged in. I'm off to a great start right?

My contract buy-out fee has been lifted. I'm ready to switch over to iPhone. It's mainly the carriers who delay (or never deliver) the latest version of Android that make me want to switch. And the 2 Nexus devices that do get prompt updates are too big for my liking. However, I do have a few questions!

I'm looking at getting the iPhone 6 16GB as my budget is tight. Right now the 6 is going for $0 on a 2 year contract. I've just noticed the SE is coming soon as well. Phone size is not an issue, longevity is. Depending on the 2 year contract price of the SE would determine which model I get.

I like keeping a diary, currently I am using Journey (on Android) and it is fantastic. I heard it might be coming to iOS. Does anyone else have an idea? Or, is there a similar app that can import *.json files?

Fitness tracker, mainly steps, elevation, pulse and speed. What is the iOS solution like?

My calendar is kept online via an Exchange server, will the iPhone sync my contacts, calendar over when I setup my email account in the Mail program?

I'm not a gamer so like I mentioned screen size is not really an issue. Right now I have a Galaxy Alpha with a 4.7" screen, it's pretty much ideal.

Those are my main questions for now!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. You can't go wrong with either the 6 or SE. Ultimately the choice is yours. Enjoy the site.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree, both the iPhone 6 and SE are good choices. I don't keep a diary or use a fitness tracker. You should be able to sync your Mail, Contacts and Calendars. Let us know what you decide.

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll see if i can wait for the SE pricing but tech control is not one of my strengths. ;)

Wybrem

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm making the switch as well, coming from BlackBerry (Classic). I just don't want to deal with Google/Android. I'm going for the 6S Plus.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm making the switch as well, coming from BlackBerry (Classic). I just don't want to deal with Google/Android. I'm going for the 6S Plus.

Me also Chum loved the Classic bought the 6S nice and fast beauti camera I wanted a plus but just could not imagine carrying it around in my shorts this summer .

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
There's nothing that can import .jason files app wise i don't think. I know iOS fitness tracker isn't hugely accurate so you may need to get a fitbit.
Yes to your email.
I'd wait for se, seems to be better than the 6.

Brandon Harhi

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
If cost is your main concern, I would go with the SE. It has a few minor differences with the 6S to help keep costs down plus, the innards are a bit beefier than the 6.

As far as fitness trackers are concerned, Apple's stock app works fairly well and there are some familiar apps to look into from Under Armor, FitBit, and Up.

I completely understand where you are coming from with updates being delayed. That is a problem in dire need of a solution.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I think if you can wait for the SE, it will be the better choice. That or I would consider the 6s as my second choice.

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the new suggestions everyone. I think we are on the same page; wait for the SE and go from there. :cool:

Wybrem

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Me also Chum loved the Classic bought the 6S nice and fast beauti camera I wanted a plus but just could not imagine carrying it around in my shorts this summer .

How is the battery on the regular 6S? I don't need the plus for the size but the battery seems to be much greater.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I am finding the battery is quite reasonable on my 6S so far slightly better than the Classic that had not much on it running and I am noticing on the threads here a lot of people get the plus and change to 6S because of the size however if the size is not a problem for you the battery and camera is Better .

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Did it, went for the 6, just couldn't pass on a couple of things.

#1 $0 on a 2 year,
#2 $200 credit in-store,
#3 after seeing the 6 and 5S side-by-side I knew the 4.7" was a better fit than waiting for the SE. (My now retired Samsung Alpha is very much the same size as the 6.)
#4 backed up what I needed from Google and deleted my account with them, too many hooks into me, good riddance!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Did it, went for the 6, just couldn't pass on a couple of things.

#1 $0 on a 2 year,
#2 $200 credit in-store,
#3 after seeing the 6 and 5S side-by-side I knew the 4.7" was a better fit than waiting for the SE. (My now retired Samsung Alpha is very much the same size as the 6.)
#4 backed up what I needed from Google and deleted my account with them, too many hooks into me, good riddance!

Congrats! You'll love your 6, and the fact that iOS updates are pushed out immediately when they're released.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Congrats man. I'm in a similar boat but want to get away from Android and back on iOS which just plain works.

I have a few iPhone 5's and a 6 and plan on getting a SE this week since I prefer the smaller size of the phone.

I pulled out my old 5s, popped in the sim and plan on using it until I get my SE. It's actually really nice to be back on it. The only problem I'm having is my Apple Watch won't pair because my 5s needs an update which isn't available yet?

As far as trackers, I swear by Strava. Love it and it tracks all my runs and rides, counts calories burned, etc...Strava also supports iOS and its watch very nice.

The stock Activity app on iOS is more accurate and much more refined than Samsung as well. So it's nice to also have that as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR