Reading Comprehension

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised by how many professional tech writers read the statement below incorrectly. It's from the Apple iPhone 13 Pro press release. Many people think that only the blue color was "created using multiple layers of nanometer-scale metallic ceramics applied across the surface for a stunning and durable finish"

"Both models are available in four striking colors including the all-new sierra blue, created using multiple layers of nanometer-scale metallic ceramics applied across the surface for a stunning and durable finish."

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised by how many professional tech writers read the statement below incorrectly. It's from the Apple iPhone 13 Pro press release. Many people think that only the blue color was "created using multiple layers of nanometer-scale metallic ceramics applied across the surface for a stunning and durable finish"

"Both models are available in four striking colors including the all-new sierra blue, created using multiple layers of nanometer-scale metallic ceramics applied across the surface for a stunning and durable finish."

Agreed. That tells me the devices, regardless of the color, were created using ……

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
That comes of just skimming the words, and assuming you know what they say, rather than reading them carefully. I am guilty of that on occasion, but always come to a “hang on ?” point and have to re-read.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Don’t think the white stainless steel uses the new coating, perhaps the black and gold uses a Pvd or physical vapor deposition coating, like they have been doing since the the x/xs and the Apple watches.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Don’t think the white stainless steel uses the new coating, perhaps the black and gold uses a Pvd or physical vapor deposition coating, like they have been doing since the the x/xs and the Apple watches.

Agree. I learned about the silver/white model the hard way with my 12PM. The silver edges end up covered in micro-scratches. I learned to appreciate it but it took a while.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

No matter how many times I read it, and how carefully, the "created using..." is clarifying that Sierra Blue is made that way, not that all colors were. If there was a comma before "including" then I would say that the last phrase is clarifying the beginning of the statement, that all colors are made that way. (Because if there was a comma before including then you could remove that part of the sentence within the commas to get "Both models are available in four striking colors created using multiple...." Without the comma, then the last part of the sentence is clarifying only that Sierra Blue is that way.)

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
No matter how many times I read it, and how carefully, the "created using..." is clarifying that Sierra Blue is made that way, not that all colors were. If there was a comma before "including" then I would say that the last phrase is clarifying the beginning of the statement, that all colors are made that way. (Because if there was a comma before including then you could remove that part of the sentence within the commas to get "Both models are available in four striking colors created using multiple...." Without the comma, then the last part of the sentence is clarifying only that Sierra Blue is that way.)

You may be correct.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

That’s how I understood it.

Blue = new coating
White No coating
Black and gold old coating.

No idea what the tech writers understood or misunderstood.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
When my Sierra Blue PM arrives I’ll put it to the test. I’ve been using my 12PM without a case for 10 months and it’s metal bands are completely scratched up. We’ll see how the blue holds up.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

They're reading it correctly. Only the Sierra Blue, based on that statement, has that process.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so now that it has been established that it’s my reading comprehension that is lacking and that the Sierra Blue is “special” I’m even more excited about the 128GB Sierra Blue PM I ordered from ATT.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
temp.wazeer