READ & UNREAD STATUS - Automatically being set as "read"

andrewjakovac

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

Very impressed with this forum and RSS feeds, best out there.

my BIG problem.

1. Email notification arrives on iPhone
2. Number is displayed above envelope on home screen
3. After a while (maybe 2 - 5 mins), the notificaiton number will disapear
4. Also, the email will be marked as READ when I open the Mail program

Aditional points:

A. Nothing was changed on the Exchange (2003) server, one Sunday I just woke up to see that all my Exchange mails were mysteriously marked as "read". Obviously annoying because I was keeping them unread as kind of a "to-to" list.

B. My IT guys havn't changed anything in the Exchange settings, AND can't find any settings to do with that problem (i.e. downloading a header forcing the mail to be marked as read)

C. I have had my iPhone exchanged by Apple for a new phone (unrelated problems), and the problem is still happening

D. If I manually mark a particular email as "unread" from the iPhone, it si not affected, and will stay Unread for ever

E. I have completely deleted all contents and email account from iPhone on numerous occasions

F. Apple Care are trying to work with me on this, but they are stumped as well, and are "getting back to me".... hhmm....

Anyone having the same problems?

Anyone got a solution?

Thanks people.... :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Are you sure someone is not checking your emails at work??? Because emails don't automatically change to read status magically.

BrotherNov

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I and the 5 co-workers who also switched to the iphone have a similar, but opposite problem; emails we've read at work on our computer often show up as unread on our iphone. just anothjer one of the annoyances we've learned to live with because of the many benefits.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
sounds like a exchange issue or setting to me. I had a similar issue and it turned out activesync was set to not sync after 9pm. It's not a phone issue. Think about it, 5 phones with similar issues on the same exchange server. Server side issue.

BrotherNov

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
sounds like a exchange issue or setting to me. I had a similar issue and it turned out activesync was set to not sync after 9pm. It's not a phone issue. Think about it, 5 phones with similar issues on the same exchange server. Server side issue.

I don't understand your logic. The 5 iphone users used to have either tilts or blackjacks, like the other 12 or so smartphone users in the group. A few of these remaining twelve have upgraded to the Fuze. No one ever encountered this problem until we started using iphones, and only the iphones have the issue. Like I said, it's a minor annoyance, but I can't seem to find reason to place fault anywhere except with the iphones.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I don't understand your logic. The 5 iphone users used to have either tilts or blackjacks, like the other 12 or so smartphone users in the group. A few of these remaining twelve have upgraded to the Fuze. No one ever encountered this problem until we started using iphones, and only the iphones have the issue. Like I said, it's a minor annoyance, but I can't seem to find reason to place fault anywhere except with the iphones.

It's obviously something with the server and the phone not getting along. More than likely something on the server side. Follow? Maybe I should have been more clear the first time. It could be a simple setting somewhere.

andrewjakovac

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Guys,

if you check out my point A on the first post, you will notice that it begun happening over night (i.e. one Sunday morning I woke up and all my mails were read, and the problem has been there ever since), so:

1. Nothing was changed on the server (i.e. worked fine, then magically started making all my mails as read)
2. Nobody is reading my emails (as someone comically mentioned! :)). That especially can't be the case, because it's happening every day, of every week for me.

Apple is aware of my issue, hasn't had anyone else with the same issue.

Anyone - and I mean ANYONE with help or the same issue would be much appreciated. I also tried using the Config Utility to solve the problem, and roll out the Exchange settings like that (on recommendation by an Apple tech), but that didn't work either...

Cheers, and thanks for the comments so far :)

Last edited:

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Guys,

if you check out my point A on the first post, you will notice that it begun happening over night (i.e. one Sunday morning I woke up and all my mails were read, and the problem has been there ever since), so:

1. Nothing was changed on the server (i.e. worked fine, then magically started making all my mails as read)
2. Nobody is reading my emails (as someone comically mentioned! :)). That especially can't be the case, because it's happening every day, of every week for me.

Apple is aware of my issue, hasn't had anyone else with the same issue.

Anyone - and I mean ANYONE with help or the same issue would be much appreciated. I also tried using the Config Utility to solve the problem, and roll out the Exchange settings like that (on recommendation by an Apple tech), but that didn't work either...

Cheers, and thanks for the comments so far :)

Are they showing as "read" in your Outlook client even though you have not read them yet?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW