question about wireless setup

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Wireless 2.0 was recently installed in my building at work. It makes me download a configuration file and wants me to install it. When I go to install the profile it says "installing this profile will change settings on your iPhone". What settings will this change? I'm afraid it will mess up my wi-fi at home. Thanks

Last edited:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't mess anything up. I had to do that with mine for the wifi at work and it didn't mess anything up.

If you have a passcode set on your phone, enter it when prompted then follow the prompts to set up your access for work.

This may be able to help you out as far as security issues go. :)

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
so i decided to call apple this morning to find out about these settings that change. They were absolutely no help, I don't know if the guy i talked to was just incompetent or what. But he had no idea and he just kept talking about things that weren't relevant to my inquiry instead of just giving me a straight answer. I didn't think it seemed like a tough question to answer. I thought apple support was supposed to be top notch

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My guess is they all don't know how the phones are handled in a corp environment .. Why don't you ask your it dept I sure they know what policies an setting they are pushing to the devices
It could be a authorization certificate also that allows you on the network or server so even if you know your password and username it won't work without the cert ...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wireless 2.0 was recently installed in my building at work. It makes me download a configuration file and wants me to install it. When I go to install the profile it says "installing this profile will change settings on your iPhone". What settings will this change? I'm afraid it will mess up my wi-fi at home. Thanks

More than likely, the configuration file will install a certificate used to authenticate you while connected to your work's network. It will in no way, shape or form mess up or interfere with your home network or any other network you frequent with your device.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Call your network admin. They are the ones that set it up and will have the definitive answer for you.

declanz34

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this how to process. The step by step process is very easy to follow. Specifically, the numbering part make everything more clearer.