Question about three dots during texting

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I've always thought it only active when it was a message you were involved with, not just ANY time someone was typing.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It is my understanding that the other person is physical typing a reply. I know my wife will take quite awhile to type her whole message and seems like forever until it actually gets to my phone. When this does happen, the message comes through as green (SMS) rather than iMessage. iMessage seems to be down a lot.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wait... Really? That's what it means? Is there a source for this information?
I don't know of any. Just my experience. On several occasions while texting my wife and kids, I'd see the 3 dots that are associated with a reply, and after a short time, the dots disappear without me receiving a reply. Then when I tell them that I didn't get their reply, they'd say that they were texting someone else.

Yeah, I've always thought it only active when it was a message you were involved with, not just ANY time someone was typing.
So did I until I began experiencing the things I mentioned above.

I really think the three dots only apply to the conversation it's in. Not just in general.
I thought so too until I experienced the things I mentioned above.

It is my understanding that the other person is physical typing a reply. I know my wife will take quite awhile to type her whole message and seems like forever until it actually gets to my phone. When this does happen, the message comes through as green (SMS) rather than iMessage. iMessage seems to be down a lot.
You are correct. It does indeed mean that the recipient is in the process of replying, but my aforementioned experiences did happen and still happens on occasion.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
This is interesting cause I spend a lot of time looking at these dots and nothing happens

Now I can free up that time to maybe come up with a cure for cancer or some other global changing event :)

Sent from my iPhone 5

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
As well as most the only time I have seen the 3 dots even If I am typing a message, the person on the other end can be at the same time and I will see the 3 dots. They will go away once that person I am sending a message to sends theirs to me. On the other hand once I type a message and wait I can see that the recipient is typing a reply to me by the 3 dots.

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
The 3 dots are only for when that person is sending a reply to you specifically. If you are getting dots when they are typing to someone else, that's a system glitch. Hey, at least doing tech support for a major carrier comes in handy when talking to you guys here!

Leslie Cook

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Kal-el are you sure? I know you're said you do tech support.....but, if what you're saying is true then I must have an awful lot of system glitches. For example....it seems to happen a lot with my sister. I'll see the 3 dots there forever and then they go away with no response. But, if I'm talking to anyone else I see the dots and get a text right afterwards. You're positive it's only when they're typing to you and not someone else?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I am constantly seeing 3 dots and never receive a message, but then again, i am AT&T an their service isn't the best, especially in the last 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Most of the time they are writing back to you or you would not see them writing to someone else in your window and I have also seen the typing and it goes away without a message. Ii seems like the carrier or the finish of a message with a slight delay.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
It's for typing, but.....I think sometimes it gets crossed from other messages being typed to other people.... Though you won't get anything, the other person does....

dmaverick50

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
This is an hilariously awkward thread. The dots just mean the other person is typing. If you don't receive a reply then they decided they didn't want to send the message. Personally I hate the feature but there must be some conceivable benefit since it was consciously included.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
It was included in-case the person that sees the 3 dots might wait on sending their message and see if they need to change it or add to it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal