Question about Series 1's ability to handle splashes

lectral

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm on the fence about which series to buy, however, Black Friday deals seem to be having the series one version on sale which makes it more appealing. I like Series 2 because its newer, however, the GPS doesn't matter much to me. The big concern is how 'splashproof' is series 1. I realize it can't go in the pool, but how about if I were walking outside, and it starts pouring rain? Do I need to take it off? or will it withstand that sort of scenario?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the original Watch can withstand water during the typical bath shower and a shallow swim then I'd like to think it can withstand an occasional brief bout in the rain.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Although I've not showered with it, after runs I sometimes rinse my original AW in the sink. I have also worn mine swimming a few times. Rain is no problem.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I've rinsed my original AW under running tap water many times when the crown got gross and crusty. It has been just fine.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The big concern is how 'splashproof' is series 1.

You might want to look into that. For some reason, I'm under the assumption that only the Apple Watch Series 2 has any increased resistance to water over the Apple Watch. So I'm thinking the AW and AWS1 have the same level of water resistance. Maybe someone else has specific knowledge.