Question about Internet without Data Plan

Hueco514

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Okay, so I got my iPhone off a friend today. I have a SIM card, and the iPhone (first gen 8 gig) is unlocked. I already have AT&T, so I didn't want to switch to the plan. I put my SIM card into it, and it seems to work fine. I just want to know, if I use Wifi, like say, at my house, where I have wireless internet, will it charge me?

Or if I use the internet outside of my house, because it's not part of my plan, since the iPhone was already unlocked and I didn't need to use their 2 year plan, will the internet connect? Because if it does, wouldn't it charge me? But it shouldn't connect outside wifi at my house, right? Because I'm not paying for the iPhone data plan, right? Any help would really be appreciated.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You will for sure get charged if you do anything with data and that includes email. And if you are using it for Wifi only, you will not get charged. Even then I don't know if I would trust it. It's worth it just to add a unlimited data plan to your account. Just to be safe...

Hueco514

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
So if I were to press the "Safari" button outside of my wifi house area, or like, a Starbucks, would I get charged? Or because I don't have the iPhone plan (I have my own plan) would the internet not connect?

And if it did connect, if I press the Home button would it not charge me?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
When you say you have your own plan do you have any sort of data plan? Sorry but that comment is a little confusing.

Plain and simple answer - if you do not have any data plan and connect to the internet without a WiFi connection you will get charged.

Hueco514

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Well, I don't have a data plan with internet. Pretty much, I just want to know, if I were to click Safari somewhere with no wifi in range, would I get charged? Like if I accidentally click it? I just want to make sure, because I had to jailbreak it, I didn't want the data plan. So you're saying it will charge me if I click Safari anywhere without Wifi?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well, I don't have a data plan with internet. Pretty much, I just want to know, if I were to click Safari somewhere with no wifi in range, would I get charged? Like if I accidentally click it? I just want to make sure, because I had to jailbreak it, I didn't want the data plan. So you're saying it will charge me if I click Safari anywhere without Wifi?

Yes, you are correct, you will get charged. Unless you have your data completely blocked. Which I'm not even sure that is possible.

Hueco514

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Okay, so Safari say, if I'm like driving, I accidentally click it, it will charge me, right? But if at home, I have my own wireless hot spot, or if at school they have wireless wifi, it won't charge me then?

And if so, do you know how much they'd charge? Thanks so much Bad Ash.

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Hueco - since you are already jailbroken, there are programs you can install (BossPrefs, SBSettings, others?) that allow you to turn off AT&T data services (Edge & 3G). This would provide a measure of protection against accidental data use.

Hueco514

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Hueco - since you are already jailbroken, there are programs you can install (BossPrefs, SBSettings, others?) that allow you to turn off AT&T data services (Edge & 3G). This would provide a measure of protection against accidental data use.

BossPrefs, SBSettings? How do I get these? Yes, I'd like to turn off Edge because I notice the E lights up at the top when I'm not near Wifi and I'm afraid it's gonna charge me seeing as how that probably means I'm on their network? Can anyone help me with that? I mean, if there's anyway I can turn off EDGE and 3G (does mine have 3G? I mean, it's the first iPhone, not the 3G) I would like to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hueco514

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Okay, I got BossPrefs and I turned off Edge, and enabled wifi, and yeah, now safari will only work with wifi, which is a good thing because I'm not using Edge anymore, right? I did what it told me when I installed it when it asked me to turn both wifi and edge off to see if Safari would come up with an error sign, or could not connect sign, and it did. So yeah, then I turned wifi on and it picked up the signal from my router and all is well. So I won't get charged now right? Even without the data plan?

tuque777

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi

You can call your telecom and ask them to block data transmission, but be careful:

1-It can take up to 24h for the data block to be applied ( replicated on the network) from the moment you request it.

2- If, IF, after you requested the data to be blocked you still get DATA transfer and charges, you are responsible for them.

The iphone is a SMART phone and it will try to connect to Edge and 3G if it finds it, but the network block should be sufficient to prevent data transmission.

If you want to get BossPrefs you need Cydia or Installer on your iphone.

Hueco514

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi

You can call your telecom and ask them to block data transmission, but be careful:

1-It can take up to 24h for the data block to be applied ( replicated on the network) from the moment you request it.

2- If, IF, after you requested the data to be blocked you still get DATA transfer and charges, you are responsible for them.

The iphone is a SMART phone and it will try to connect to Edge and 3G if it finds it, but the network block should be sufficient to prevent data transmission.

If you want to get BossPrefs you need Cydia or Installer on your iphone.

Tuque777,

I got BossPrefs and I made it block Safari. Whenever I'm not in Wifi range, and I try to access the internet, it says it can't connect. So I'm guessing I've blocked it. Do you think I'll get charged anymore? Wifi is for free afterall, right? If I use internet under Wifi, I should be fine, right?

Hueco514

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Tuque777,

I got BossPrefs and I made it block Safari. Whenever I'm not in Wifi range, and I try to access the internet, it says it can't connect. So I'm guessing I've blocked it. Do you think I'll get charged anymore? Wifi is for free afterall, right? If I use internet under Wifi, I should be fine, right?

My bad, I meant Edge. When I get my bills, I should know if it worked...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice