PVD coating on Silver Pro models?

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I’m tying to decide whether to get the 14 PM in Black or Silver. Has anyone heard or read anything about the stainless steel edges on the white/silver Pro models? Every year there are discussions about whether the natural colored stainless steel has a PVD coating or not. Up until now the answer has always been no.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Silver models have never had pvd coating, don’t think that is going to change with the 14 pro.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
There’s no need for it, when you can just use Cape Cod Cloths to buff out the scratches.

A clear PVD coating equal to the other colors would be far superior to polishing your phone periodically. When I had a silver 12 PM I just left it as is and rolled with it. I learned to appreciate the worn look of the metal and would be fine with an uncoated 14 PM. However, I don’t understand Apple’s thinking on this.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
A clear PVD coating equal to the other colors would be far superior to polishing your phone periodically. When I had a silver 12 PM I just left it as is and rolled with it. I learned to appreciate the worn look of the metal and would be fine with an uncoated 14 PM. However, I don’t understand Apple’s thinking on this.

Knowing Apple it had something to do with aesthetics - the metal wasn't as shiny or something. Some people like that look. Myself, I ordered a silver model one time and my OCD couldn't handle the scratches. Black phones are kinda boring, but the finish seems more durable so thats what I went with again.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I haven’t read all of the following posts but a well-taken-care-of silver PM (kept in a case likely these things are not free)) got scratches on the stainless steel anyways? Hmmm. I haven’t heard of that before.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I haven’t read all of the following posts but a well-taken-care-of silver PM (kept in a case likely these things are not free)) got scratches on the stainless steel anyways? Hmmm. I haven’t heard of that before.

The silver models have always been very prone to micro-scratches, even in a case. The case will actually scratch it from the grit that gets inside it. The silver model is different than the colored versions.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know whether or not there is a coating but my 10 XS Max and 12 Pro Max aged well and I'm happy with silver 14 Pro Max so far not seeing any wear or scratches. I guess the point being I have my phones out of cases a lot. The cloth padded Apple Brand cases probably help.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
so I have went from the space grey 11 pro max to the pacific blue 12 pro max which I a currently using right now. but I am cindering in getting the 14 pro or pro max in the silver colour

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods