puzzling problem

leaffine5212

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site
I had an Ipad 4 for years with no problems. I bought an Ipad Air2 last August and almost immediately I started having problems in email with the ipad keypad freezing. Hallway through an email I could type letters but not numbers. When I pressed the number keypad - nothing happened.

It does not happen in every single email. I can press Cancel and save draft and retrieve the draft and I can then use the numbers again. Or I can turn the Ipad off and on and that fixes it temporarily as well. After various suggestions by Apple, they eventually exchanged my ipad for a brand new one. Almost immediately, I started having the same problem.

Once again I discussed resetting the ipad as a brand new ipad etc. etc. Nothing worked.

An Apple salesman at Staples suggested that the problem might be a conflict with an app that I have on the iPad. He suggested resetting it as new and installing the apps one by one and typing emails, to see if and when the problem emerged.

I thought I could eliminate this hassle by buying an Ipad Pro 9.7. So yesterday, I bought one. The VERY first email I tried typing. The keypad froze. So obviously it's not a problem with the iPad - its a problem with what I have on the iPad.

I just wondered if anyone could suggest what type of app might do this? It doesn't happen on my iPhone 6. I have most of the apps that I have on the iPad on the iPhone. However, I type a lot faster on the iPad keypad. Not sure if the speed at which I type would make the keypad freeze.

I guess while I have two iPads (I was going to sell the Air2 if I did not get the problem on the Pro) I will do as the guy at Staples suggested and re-install the apps one by one, starting with the ones I really need - such as my bank app!

If anyone has any suggestions as to whether a third party app would be causing this problem or if I am just allergic to iPads - I would appreciate hearing.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello, and welcome to iMore!

I'm totally unsure why you're having such an odd issue, especially after purchasing a second iPad. I have the 2017 9.7 iPad and have never experienced that problem with the keyboard in emails.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and offer up some suggestions. Keep us informed if you figure out what's causing it!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. I must say that I have never had any problems with any of my iPads and/or third party keyboards. My iPads in general have performed better than my iPhones over the years to be honest. It appears that you have tried several different remedies and nothing seems to work. Apple even exchanged your iPad and it's still a problem. I would start from scratch as suggested and install one app at a time. Lots of work, but may be beneficial in the long run. Good Luck.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
An Apple salesman at Staples suggested that the problem might be a conflict with an app that I have on the iPad. He suggested resetting it as new and installing the apps one by one and typing emails, to see if and when the problem emerged.

Hello there, @leaffine5212. Welcome to iMore.

Have you tried what the Apple person suggested?

Yes, I can definitely see that frustration. I have had similar issues where I've upgraded a device and restored from backup and had issues and I deiced to reset as new and try apps one at a time. You'd be surprised how one app can work fine on one device causes havoc on another.

When you get a moment, please head on over to the new members area and introduce yourself to the rest of the iMore community here:
https://forums.imore.com/new-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

Thanks.

_______
~Lee Bo

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member