Putting smartphone away for a week

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Just as a test. Because I think we're overly dependent on smartphones. It makes you kind of, forget life. Do you think you could do it? I'd just do it to prove that I'm not overly dependent on a smartphone, when I already know that I am.

kjvella

May 17, 2012
Visit site
No iPhone4S for a week?

Good luck. You have more will power than I do.
Yeah, I know we did without any phones while growing up, but at least there were pay phones available when needed. Tried finding one of those now?

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, should I do a 3-day preparation for this, or should I just snatch it away?

My smartphone dictates to me when I have to go to work. Because I do not store that in my memory.

It's basically attached to my arm at all times, without my smartphone, my life would fall apart. And I don't feel like it's completely my fault for being overly dependent on the device.

It's a part of society, everyone is making their contribution.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Just as a test. Because I think we're overly dependent on smartphones. It makes you kind of, forget life. Do you think you could do it? I'd just do it to prove that I'm not overly dependent on a smartphone, when I already know that I am.

Good luck. It is not possible for me, as my smartphone is also my work pager... which I am required to carry for call out for situations at work that require my immediate response.

However, even without that requirement, I would be hard pressed to do so.

BParker4381

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
If push come to shove I could go without my smartphone. I would not do it just to be doing it but if I has to, I think I could.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I could without question although the first day would be hard but after that I would be fine

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

spinecho

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I know that i could do it because i have done it in the past when my iPhone was out for repair. it is no fun and the worst thing is i found out that i don't know anyone's phone number.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As a retiree, I'd go stir crazy without my smartphone.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Cell phone addiction test - are you addicted to your cell phone?

i scored a 47% . not sure if that is good or bad

Average addiction. You are influenced by cell phones like anyone else, therefore you don't have much to worry about. You seem to need your cell phone, maybe for work, maybe for less useful reasons, anyway you are influenced by it and your life would surely be less "practical" and a little more "complicated" if you had to renounce to your phone. You use it every day and this is completely normal for you, like it is for a lot of people.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I took the cellphone addiction test at the link you provided and my score is as follows:

"Your cell phone addiction level is 9%

Low or no addiction. Your relationship with cell phones seems to be perfectly normal, therefore you have nothing to worry about. Your answers denote that you comprehend the potentialities of cell phones but, at the same time, you are not subdued to them. You could probably live a serene life even if cell phone did not exist. This is surely good! Write us if you liked this test."

That test needs to be updated for smartphones with questions like: do you check your social network updates on your smartphone and if so, how often? ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I can do without using my phone - i've done it before. I mainly just use it to tx, make important phone calls and for about 1-2hrs a day maybe use TuneIn radio. I mostly use my iPad when i'm home for Safari now and then & to watch tv on at night. Honestly, when i'm out at family functions, i really don't pay any mind to my phone unless a call or tx comes in & if its not important i blow it off till i can get to it.

BLiNK, i just took that survey you posted, and i scored a "Low-no addiction level" 27%.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I could live with it during the day, but in the evenings, if my wife wasn't home and needed to get a hold of me (or if anyone else needed to get a hold of me, for that matter), she wouldn't be able to because we don't have any other phones in the house (have two cell phones between me and the Mrs.). That's the main issue is that I would have no other means of communication, besides sending and receiving email from the computer which would suck in an emergency. Other than that, it would be fine.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Being constantly glued to your smartphone is a nasty habit.

Every now and then I just get this uncanny feeling as if I'm using my phone too much. I see lots of clients from day to day and while they all have smartphones, the casual users look responsible and then you have this one person that's just glued to their phone, they can't even walk straight.

It's not pretty.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods