'Push' of Mojave '

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm reaching here, but it looks like the push of MacOS updates is a bit different than that for iOS, in that once an update is available, even if not yet 'pushed' a simple selection on iPhone or iPad through settings / software update will find, then download, and install the update. Not so at least with my iMac. I can't remember if I've ever been able to 'go looking' successfully for an update to MacOS which is in theory available but hasn't dropped. Using the 'update' icon only gets a spinning wheel for a few seconds then a message to the effect of 'No Update Available.'. It's not a crunch situation in the least, but High Sierra introduced a few buggy issues ( which I have found workarounds for) so in my mind, I'd update away from it only as soon as practicable. It's performing very well as long as it NEVER goes to sleep / hard-drive spin down, so other than once when I was away a few days, and a few re-boots from power outages, the HD has been active and spinning since last January..... If a computer is used as a server that 24/7 use is normal without issues so I don't really worry a lot. I use a screen saver then 'screen only' sleep. I installed internal temperature display software which works fine and even though the iMac is on the desk in a non air conditioned room all temps are always well away from any critical zones. I also do a monthly backup to an external drive through Time Machine. I live in the Caribbean where temps are usually 30+ in the day and 25+ at night.
Part of me says ' if it ain't broke.......', another says "do the update which may solve the issue ( the sleep situation)" BUT as of yet the update hasn't dropped here in the Caribbean, and trying to manually grab it doesn't work either....

2SoulsReaper

Sep 30, 2018
Visit site
Of patience you need ...

A new CEO in place will and will whip the entire sectarian Apple team in a crevasse* at the bottom of the Sierra ..

Metal is an option, an optimization, not a way not a unification
when to the rest of the site 10.14.XX .. some driver packages to add copied old versions
- nothing transcendental

Any platform insulation leads to the death of it and Apple among others still remembers it bitterly.

PS: sicerement, my guy you'll be a hero for all these billions of customers on this planet
and elsewhere.

otherwise .. a free developer will do it and we will look at you like sh*t

*(to be determined, best vote Mount Whitney(our constraints, really ..))

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
OK I now have Mojave installed.... It didn't present itself as any other App update ever has (with a badge app icon on the App Store icon on the dock and on a toolbar on the App Store page,) but by clicking on a large banner touting it on the page it ( App Store) showed then a TINY, almost hidden 'download' prompt box which I followed which started a normal download/update process which took about an hour & a half and was smooth and uncomplicated...All seems fine so far but I'll leave well enough alone with the sleep issues I was having, overnight to let things settle. Tomorrow I'll try to initiate normal,default type sleep settings and go from there.....

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
When I opened the app store today on my MBP, I knew an update was available, but no, there wasn't the update notification. I'm ok with that.

Yes, "if it ain't broke.....", but I really wanted dark mode and so far I really like it.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I haven’t gotten a notification for software downloads unless I haven’t downloaded yet and it’s been 3-7 days. I couldn’t find where there’s a software update in the Mojave App Store so I just use the Software Update from the Settings app.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I know that one of my Macs was getting a High Sierra notification constantly last year (in fact, it automatically downloaded in the background and kept popping a notification to install) and I did *not* want to upgrade that machine, so it was definitely a PITA for me. So, if Apple is not pushing Mojave the same way this year, I will be very happy.

I will probably upgrade that machine, a Mac mini that I use as a media and backup server, to Mojave later this year, but to me a Mac is very different from an iOS device (one is a computer, one is a device - perhaps in the name of the thing is a clue) and I want a little more control over the computer. (Plus, of course, Apple does release security updates for older versions of MacOS and rarely, if ever, pushes security updates for older versions of iOS.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73