Push email: Fact or Fiction????

johnny football hero

Nov 7, 2008
Visit site
I do love the iPhone. My line of work is changing and email is becoming increasingly important. I have my email on yahoo. I find the push email to be inconsistent and unreliable. With push on, I sometimes get the email instantly and more often much later. Sometimes even a few hours later. To be on the safe side I have it set on fetch for every 15 minutes.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a work-around or an app I could buy to guarantee reliable push email? Mobile Me?

Am I going to have to get a blackberry to get reliable and instant email service? I'm trying to avoid that option.

Please help.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
MobileMe does claim to be an Exchange-style push email system. i am considering it myself. or you can setup Exchange/Outlook on the iPhone. having no experience yet with either of these on the iPhone, i can't promise you it's as reliable and instant as you are requiring. maybe others will jump in and provide more detail from their experiences.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
MobileMe does claim to be an Exchange-style push email system. i am considering it myself. or you can setup Exchange/Outlook on the iPhone.

Both of these work very well. If your company has an Exchange server, I would just use that with your iPhone. The set up is right on your iPhone. Works just like a BB.

I use Mobile Me for my small business, but it is just my wife and I. MoMe works great for me.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It's simply yahoo being unreliable. It's been that way since day one on the iPhone for whatever the reason. Search the forums for yahoo issues. You'll find a ton about it.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I actually don't see the part where he said he had Yahoo email service. I have 3 Yahoo accounts and Push works beautifully on all of them.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I actually don't see the part where he said he had Yahoo email service. I have 3 Yahoo accounts and Push works beautifully on all of them.

"I have my email on yahoo. I find the push email to be inconsistent and unreliable."

;)

And consider yourself lucky as it's well known about Yahoo push issues.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I too have both MobileMe and exchange emails. They both work consistantly and instantly for me. I have heard the rumor that when the iPhone is in deep sleep mode that I'd does not notify you of a new messege unless you wake the phone. Sometimes if I haven't touched my phone in a while and I wake it up I get a few notices of new emails. I am not sure if the rumor is true. But it could be.

For the most part I have gotten everthing immediately. I will do some testing when the phone is in deep sleep mode.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I too have both MobileMe and exchange emails. They both work consistantly and instantly for me. I have heard the rumor that when the iPhone is in deep sleep mode that I'd does not notify you of a new messege unless you wake the phone. Sometimes if I haven't touched my phone in a while and I wake it up I get a few notices of new emails. I am not sure if the rumor is true. But it could be.

For the most part I have gotten everthing immediately. I will do some testing when the phone is in deep sleep mode.

That is absolutely not true. I wake up every morning to a ton of email. There are times when certain email services might stall but that has nothing to do with the phone being in sleep mode.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
UTVOL06
Originally Posted by iphoneswitcher

In my environment Active Sync the same or faster the BES. The downside is once the phone goes to deep sleep receiving emails lags or doesn't work at all until the phone comes out of sleep, even with push on. Blackberries are far better here.
Actually I believe the main culprit to delayed push emails or none at all in sleep mode is if you have wifi on and connected. I've done a lot of testing and having wifi on and connected even with cellular connection causes delayed or no emails during sleep on my iPhone 3GS for push mobileme email.

If I keep wifi off I receive my push mobileme email on time without delay even when the device has been in sleep for a couple of hours. I can replicate this repeatedly.

This is some sort of software or router setting issue. This is my first iPhone and not sure if this is something caused by os 3.0 or if its also present in 2.2? From what I have herd from others os 2.2 does not have this issue.

^^^^^
this where I heard the rumor.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
UTVOL06
Originally Posted by iphoneswitcher

In my environment Active Sync the same or faster the BES. The downside is once the phone goes to deep sleep receiving emails lags or doesn't work at all until the phone comes out of sleep, even with push on. Blackberries are far better here.
Actually I believe the main culprit to delayed push emails or none at all in sleep mode is if you have wifi on and connected. I've done a lot of testing and having wifi on and connected even with cellular connection causes delayed or no emails during sleep on my iPhone 3GS for push mobileme email.

If I keep wifi off I receive my push mobileme email on time without delay even when the device has been in sleep for a couple of hours. I can replicate this repeatedly.

This is some sort of software or router setting issue. This is my first iPhone and not sure if this is something caused by os 3.0 or if its also present in 2.2? From what I have herd from others os 2.2 does not have this issue.

^^^^^
this where I heard the rumor.

Ok, don't believe me. Regardless, that is not the case.

The above situation is more than likely caused by updating to 3.0 from a backup file. A simple remove and add back of the persons email account would clear up the issue.

Last edited:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to imply that I don't believe you. That is not the case. You are THE IPhone man.

I have had the same happen to me though. And it was on both MobileMe and exchange. At the same time. I am just saying that maybe there IS a glitch while wifi is on during deep sleep.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Sorry to imply that I don't believe you. That is not the case. You are THE IPhone man.

I have had the same happen to me though. And it was on both MobileMe and exchange. At the same time. I am just saying that maybe there IS a glitch while wifi is on during deep sleep.

No worries, I edited my post above to explain a bit more. I've seen this happen but it has nothing to do with the phone sleeping.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73