Public WiFi connecting problems

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone. My 7 Plus is taking a long time to connect to public WiFi networks (networks that require you to accept terms and conditions that pop up in a Safari screen). I googled possible solutions and one website said to type in Safari capture.apple.com and that should do the trick.

I can connect to a public network, and the check mark in WiFi settings is there, but the WiFi icon does not show.

Do I have to reset network settings? I am worried that I would lose all my passwords for various WiFi networks that I’ve connected to. I have iCloud Keychain set up.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you attempting to connect using a VPN? If so, that could be the issue. I e run into this on several occasions to where if I attempt to connect to a public hotspot using a VPN, the connection is rejected or it won’t allow me to connect, but as soon as I disable the VPN, the connection works without a problem.

During times like that, I simply use the cellular connection. I flat out refuse to connect to a public hotspot without a VPN and if my VPN connection is refused then I won’t use their hotspot. Period.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Are you attempting to connect using a VPN? If so, that could be the issue. I e run into this on several occasions to where if I attempt to connect to a public hotspot using a VPN, the connection is rejected or it won’t allow me to connect, but as soon as I disable the VPN, the connection works without a problem.

During times like that, I simply use the cellular connection. I flat out refuse to connect to a public hotspot without a VPN and if my VPN connection is refused then I won’t use their hotspot. Period.

This is not the case with me. I do not have a VPN set up. I can connect to the public WiFi network but it’s quite slow to bring up the accept terms and conditions page.

I am overseas now and I can’t turn on data for roaming. I might turn it on after getting the International Day Pass towards the end of my trip, but I’m not sure yet.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is not the case with me. I do not have a VPN set up. I can connect to the public WiFi network but it’s quite slow to bring up the accept terms and conditions page.

I am overseas now and I can’t turn on data for roaming. I might turn it on after getting the International Day Pass towards the end of my trip, but I’m not sure yet.

Oh okay.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
These problems have still been happening to me on and off. However I will be upgrading today to the XS MAx which I think has stronger WIFi compared to the 7 Plus, so this problem should not happen anymore, I hope!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
It could also be the wifi network you are connecting to. There could be protocols in the background that are taking time to load. I see this happen depending on what wifi Im connecting to.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
It could also be the wifi network you are connecting to. There could be protocols in the background that are taking time to load. I see this happen depending on what wifi Im connecting to.

The only network that I’m having trouble with is Google Starbucks. I have to renew the lease multiple times, turn airplane mode on and off, turn WiFi on and off, and sometime forget the network and join it again. If this problem happens with the XS MAX then I might have to do something different.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The only network that I’m having trouble with is Google Starbucks. I have to renew the lease multiple times, turn airplane mode on and off, turn WiFi on and off, and sometime forget the network and join it again. If this problem happens with the XS MAX then I might have to do something different.

If that's the only wifi network you are having issues with (assuming you are connecting to other wifi network with no issues) then it's not the device and is more likely the network you are trying to connect to.

Again, I have the same issue with two places here in town that I frequent. I've given up on even trying to connect to their wifi as it's never reliable, and since it's only those two locations, I'm leaning toward an issue with that wifi and not my device.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
If that's the only wifi network you are having issues with (assuming you are connecting to other wifi network with no issues) then it's not the device and is more likely the network you are trying to connect to.

Again, I have the same issue with two places here in town that I frequent. I've given up on even trying to connect to their wifi as it's never reliable, and since it's only those two locations, I'm leaning toward an issue with that wifi and not my device.

You’re right, now that I think about it, Google Starbucks networks could be easily congested because so many people are on the network at the same time. Then again, there are times when my iPhone immediately connects to the network and the login page opens up, and there are other times when it takes more than a few minutes and I have to do the steps I mentioned.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2