PSA - Have you checked to see if your Devices ARE backing up to iCloud?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am the type of person who frequently review my setup, settings, things I’ve enabled and disabled, etcetera. Companies are very sneaky these days so I make it point to do frequent checks.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Just a helpful suggestion... it's always a good idea to check to see if your devices are backing up to iCloud. This is a link to Apple Support that tells you how to check on backups for all of Apple's devices.

Great and helpful post Annie.
Unfortunately, as someone who works in tech support, not setting up backup at all is too common. Frightened or angry user in turmoil because their data is or may be gone. “How recent is your last backup?”, I get the sound or look of confusion. Backups are needed very infrequently but critical when you do need it. Everyone please backup your devices. For an iPhone, just spend the .99 cents. 3 years of monthly .99 will be nothing if your phone falls in the ocean or is irretrievably lost.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I just checked my iCloud backups and I am happy to report that my iPhone and iPad have recently backed up. iPhone last night, iPad two days ago when I last charged it.

Also, my carbon monoxyde and smoke detector battery is still healthy :D
Important: Carbon monoxyde and smoke detectors are only good for 10 years. Look at the expiration dates on yours ;)
Funny fact: Removable batteries in those are now illegal where I live, they have to be either wired with 10 year battery backup, or 10 year battery devices. That's because people either removed the batteries or didn't replace them when they died; I'll let you imagine the rest of the story.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
IMHO, its as important as making sure batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are up to date!

Another +1.
I hate to say this but in my younger years I was ‘that guy’ who never checked smoke detector batteries. To die due of smoke inhalation because of not checking a one dollar battery, so stupid.
Fortunately new technology means my new smoke detectors incessantly hound me when the battery runs low. :)

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I just checked my iCloud backups and I am happy to report that my iPhone and iPad have recently backed up. iPhone last night, iPad two days ago when I last charged it.

Also, my carbon monoxyde and smoke detector battery is still healthy :D
Important: Carbon monoxyde and smoke detectors are only good for 10 years. Look at the expiration dates on yours ;)
Funny fact: Removable batteries in those are now illegal where I live, they have to be either wired with 10 year battery backup, or 10 year battery devices. That's because people either removed the batteries or didn't replace them when they died; I'll let you imagine the rest of the story.

Ugh Ed, that was me back in the day. Just remove the battery when it squawked in the middle of the night. But My house now has all wired with replaceable batteries. But if the battery gets low or is removed they squawk away. It now is far easier to put in a new battery.
I think some have a 10 year timer. They’ll squawk after 10 years. No way around replacement.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Ugh Ed, that was me back in the day. Just remove the battery when it squawked in the middle of the night. But My house now has all wired with replaceable batteries. But if the battery gets low or is removed they squawk away. It now is far easier to put in a new battery.
I think some have a 10 year timer. They’ll squawk after 10 years. No way around replacement.

The ten year battery ones I fitted were dying at around six years !