Problems with update

mortenkstrand

May 31, 2022
Visit site
I have a series 2 watch that has worked just fine, but now I am struggling to update it. The watch is reset to factory settings and must be set up as a new watch.

When I connect it to the phone I am told that it must be updated, but when I start the update it fails every time.

The attached screen shot is in Norwegian, translated it says: "Can not check for updates. Search for software updates failed because you are not connected to the Internet."

The iPhone is connected to The internet, and is updated with the latest iOS.

Any help with this issue would be highly appreciated :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately images are still an issue with Tapatalk so I can’t see what your image is.

What OS is the watch currently running? I’ve read that series 1 and 2 will stop receiving updates with WatchOS 6.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately images are still an issue with Tapatalk so I can’t see what your image is.

What OS is the watch currently running? I’ve read that series 1 and 2 will stop receiving updates with WatchOS 6.

I have read that as well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
According to the Apple Watch Wiki, the Watch series 2 cannot be upgraded beyond watchOS version 6.3. It also states support ended for it on September 15, 2020.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Watch

If watchOS 6.3 is currently the watchOS version installed then you’re all set.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a series 2 watch that has worked just fine, but now I am struggling to update it. The watch is reset to factory settings and must be set up as a new watch.

When I connect it to the phone I am told that it must be updated, but when I start the update it fails every time.

The attached screen shot is in Norwegian, translated it says: "Can not check for updates. Search for software updates failed because you are not connected to the Internet."

The iPhone is connected to The internet, and is updated with the latest iOS.

Any help with this issue would be highly appreciated :)

Try this:

First, in the Watch app, General / Storage. See if Software Update is there. If it is, tap and delete it.

Second, I would try restarting the iPhone.

Then try the pairing again.

mortenkstrand

May 31, 2022
Visit site
Thank you very much for your answers. I can not connect the watch to the phone at all, so I can not see which watchOS is installed. I have concluded that it is probably not possible to connect such an old watch to a newer iphone. Time to upgrade :)

Thanks a lot!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for your answers. I can not connect the watch to the phone at all, so I can not see which watchOS is installed. I have concluded that it is probably not possible to connect such an old watch to a newer iphone. Time to upgrade :)

Thanks a lot!

Correct. As stated via the link I posted above, an iPhone running iOS 14 or above will not work with an Watch running watchOS 6.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Correct. As stated via the link I posted above, an iPhone running iOS 14 or above will not work with an Watch running watchOS 6.

This is incorrect. My old Series 2 is still connected to my iPhone running 15.5. It's the opposite that cannot be done: you cannot connect a watch running watchOS 8 to an iPhone running iOS 14 or earlier, you cannot connect an Apple Watch running watchOS 7.x to an iPhone running iOS 13 or earlier, etc. Older versions of watchOS are supposed to be able to connect to any iPhone running the minimum iOS version for that watchOS version or later.

There were a few watchOS updates to watchOS 6 after watchOS 7 was released, mostly security patches for Series 0, Series 1, and Series 2, so it's not unreasonable for the watch to think that there was an update if it wasn't already applied..

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is incorrect. My old Series 2 is still connected to my iPhone running 15.5. It's the opposite that cannot be done: you cannot connect a watch running watchOS 8 to an iPhone running iOS 14 or earlier, you cannot connect an Apple Watch running watchOS 7.x to an iPhone running iOS 13 or earlier, etc. Older versions of watchOS are supposed to be able to connect to any iPhone running the minimum iOS version for that watchOS version or later.

There were a few watchOS updates to watchOS 6 after watchOS 7 was released, mostly security patches for Series 0, Series 1, and Series 2, so it's not unreasonable for the watch to think that there was an update if it wasn't already applied..

Thanks and I appreciate the correction.

mortenkstrand

May 31, 2022
Visit site
My problem is that I am not able to update the watchOS, the update fails every time, and without the update the watch will not connect to my phone. So I’m basically stuck.

Krisha J

Sep 28, 2021
Visit site
My problem is that I am not able to update the watchOS, the update fails every time, and without the update the watch will not connect to my phone. So I’m basically stuck.

Try to reset the watch and see if you can update it r else you should go to the Apple service center!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox