Problem with update -- help?

btmccarthy

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
up and running at last.

I had to fiddle with it to get it to display anything other than the apple logo but now I just connected it and the update completed.

MJM2324

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Mine says the activation server can't be reached. What does that mean? I got the download, just won't install it on the phone...

gary_gnu

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Anyone getting this message?

"The iphone "Name's iPhone" cannot be updated at this time because iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable"

Yeah, that's the one I'm getting. At least it's doing that BEFORE trying to upgrade the phone.

Sadly, iPhone Activation Server Is Temporarily Unavailable ? SoftSailor

You probably know that the iPhone OS 3.0 was released a few hours ago, and although everything should be OK, it?s not like that as many users are experiencing problems with updating to the new OS. Users are receiving an error which says that iPhone Activation Server is temporarily unavailable which means that they have to say goodbye to the iPhone OS 3.0 at least for now. We were expecting this as everybody is waiting for the new features so that they have a better iPhone.

iPhone owners should have received most of these new features a long time ago, however, Apple decided to wait for a while. Well, I?m sorry if you didn?t update yet due to the fact that the iPhone Activation Server is temporarily unavailable, but these things sadly happens when you don?t want them to happen.

gary_gnu

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Apple Rolls Out iPhone 3.0 Operating System Upgrade | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
Update 12 p.m. PDT: Some users, including a Wired.com staff member, are reporting problems downloading the iPhone 3.0 software. (See screenshot.) This is likely due to server overload; keep checking throughout the day to see if the update is available.

iPhone 3.0 OS Upgrades Hitting a Snag - Gadgetwise Blog - NYTimes.com
Haven?t had time to upgrade your iPhone to the newest version of the operating system?

You might want to wait a bit longer before trying.

Reports are flooding Twitter and the Web that attempts to upgrade their devices to the latest version of the iPhone operating system are being hit with an error message stating that the ?iPhone activation server is unavailable.?

From what we can tell, the snag renders the iPhones unusable and leaves them in a mode similar to what is commonly known as ?bricking? and unable to make calls.

We?ve reached out to Apple and are awaiting their response to the situation. How?s your upgrade going?

Pretty freaking lousy, actually. Still stuck.

gary_gnu

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Well, at least they're consistent.

iTunes activation server pining for the fjords

by Robert Palmer on Jul 11th 2008

According to a few tipsters, the iTunes activation servers that help do everything from activate brand new iPhones to getting new firmware for iPod touches are dead to the world.

Tipster dik said "[A]s of right now, [Apple Retail] has lost all connectivity with the iTunes activation servers. No idea how long this will last, but everyone who is in line right now can expect a MUCH longer wait."

This also affects people trying to update to the 2.0 firmware from home, via iTunes for the iPhone and iPod touch. There's a good chance that's where the "We could not complete your iTunes Store request" errors are coming from. Unfortunately, this means that many users have their iPhones bricked temporarily disabled, and only able to make emergency calls.

Apple is aware of the problem and is working to correct it, according to a discussion thread in progress.

If you have any information about what's happening, feel free to tip us. Thanks!

TheCarBlogger

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Guys, HERE is the solution for everyone with bricked iPhones. This even applies to those who were in the middle of downloading the software and got abruptly disconnected.

1. Turn off your iPhone and quit iTunes. Unplug your iPhone from your computer as well.

2. Replug your iPhone into your computer. iTunes will automatically open and ask you to update.

3. Click "Update"

Pay attention to the next step: crucial.

4. Right after clicking "Update", disconnect (that's right, DISconnect) your Internet connection.

5. Instead of the dreaded rejection message, your iPhone will still be updating. I'm still clueless as to how this is achieved sans Internet. Your iPhone will flicker once and a progress bar will show. After that progress bar has been filled, another progress bar will appear. Wait time for this one is shorter than the first.

6. Your iPhone will now show a "Connect to iTunes." It is bricked at this moment and only Emergency calls can be made. No worries though.

7. Quit your iTunes again.

8. Reconnect your Internet connection.

9. Open iTunes again.

10. Your iPhone/iPhone 3G is now "activated".

--

Ta-da. Your iPhone should say that it is activated now. It did for mine and I am tremendously happy and dumbfounded as to how this worked. But it works.

In the case of Rogers, you will also be prompted for a carrier update. Click "Yes". It's very short and harmless.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro