Problem with native Mail app on iOS

tobi931998

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,
I have a problem with native Mail app on iOS (both iPhone and iPad). The problem is mails does not sync automatically i.e. I don't receive mails immediately whenever someone sends me an email. Notification also does not show mails immediately. So i have to refresh manually to receive new mails.
Does anyone get this problem like me? Please help me to solve it if you know. Thank a lot.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
I have a problem with native Mail app on iOS (both iPhone and iPad). The problem is mails does not sync automatically i.e. I don't receive mails immediately whenever someone sends me an email. Notification also does not show mails immediately. So i have to refresh manually to receive new mails.
Does anyone get this problem like me? Please help me to solve it if you know. Thank a lot.

Is push notifications enabled for it? Does your email provider provides for push notifications via 3rd-party app’s ?

tobi931998

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
Is push notifications enabled for it? Does your email provider provides for push notifications via 3rd-party app’s ?

Yeah, I have turned on notifications for it. Sometimes, when charging, mail is pushed on time. Mail I used: Gmail, iCloud Mail, Yahoo Mail, Outlook.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have turned on notifications for it. Sometimes, when charging, mail is pushed on time. Mail I used: Gmail, iCloud Mail, Yahoo Mail, Outlook.

Go to Settings, then Passwords and Accounts. At the bottom of that page you choose Fetch New Data. From there you can select if you want data to fetched or refreshed manually. Only iCloud, as far as I know, still had push for data. After you change the emails to fetch, if it isn’t already, then you have a few more options.

2ee1174b3d47d9082c3393732a4de0bf.jpg

So with the stock mail app, checking for new emails every 15 minutes is the fastest way you can get new emails without manually refreshing. This is one of the main reasons I use a third party email app.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

FYI, Gmail cannot do push email with the stock Mail app on iOS. If you want push from Gmail, you can use either the Gmail app or Outlook (there are probably other apps that can do push with Gmail, but those two work for sure.)

tobi931998

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
Go to Settings, then Passwords and Accounts. At the bottom of that page you choose Fetch New Data. From there you can select if you want data to fetched or refreshed manually. Only iCloud, as far as I know, still had push for data. After you change the emails to fetch, if it isn’t already, then you have a few more options.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190202/2ee1174b3d47d9082c3393732a4de0bf.jpg

So with the stock mail app, checking for new emails every 15 minutes is the fastest way you can get new emails without manually refreshing. This is one of the main reasons I use a third party email app.

Tks for helpful information bro. Have a good day!

tobi931998

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
FYI, Gmail cannot do push email with the stock Mail app on iOS. If you want push from Gmail, you can use either the Gmail app or Outlook (there are probably other apps that can do push with Gmail, but those two work for sure.)

Tks for helpful information. Have a good day!

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

I vaguely remember that gmail push was working/activated briefly in iOS11 but was removed in iOS12 and now working only when you are on WiFi or charging or both (I do not remember which was which). This was why it was working when your phone was being charged.

tobi931998

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
I vaguely remember that gmail push was working/activated briefly in iOS11 but was removed in iOS12 and now working only when you are on WiFi or charging or both (I do not remember which was which). This was why it was working when your phone was being charged.

Yes, Maybe both wifi and on charging are required to use fetch automatically imo. Push is not allowed with Gmail and Yahoo, just Outlook and iCloud Mail.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Are you in Low Battery mode? The Mail app will not pull email automatically in that mode, to preserve battery.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

Outlook and iCloud mail push automatically in real time. Gmail's fastest retrieve is 15 minutes.

I just have all my other addresses forwarding to my iCloud address.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Don't think so. Gmail has not done push in iOS since Gmail removed support for Exchange server connectivity (which was when either iOS 4 or iOS 5 were new - it's been a while). Definitely not in iOS 11 (unless it was in early betas or something.) Google removed Exchange support not to be difficult but because Microsoft was charging them licensing fees that they wanted to avoid. I'm not sure why iOS doesn't support push with Gmail (maybe it's a battery usage issue??), but it hasn't since Google stopped using Exchange.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Don't think so. Gmail has not done push in iOS since Gmail removed support for Exchange server connectivity (which was when either iOS 4 or iOS 5 were new - it's been a while). Definitely not in iOS 11 (unless it was in early betas or something.) Google removed Exchange support not to be difficult but because Microsoft was charging them licensing fees that they wanted to avoid. I'm not sure why iOS doesn't support push with Gmail (maybe it's a battery usage issue??), but it hasn't since Google stopped using Exchange.

Yes, Gmail was never a push thing in iOS before. But those days, I was jailbreaking my iPhone and was getting the true push gmail. I thought it was Gmail who removed the push mostly to promote their G-suite function.
Then I learned that somehow Gmail push was resurrected briefly but I suspect it was Apple who made the interval of the fetch very short. If they did that, it would have eaten into the battery juice very fast obviously, and quicly changed the scheme to WiFi/charging only. But ever since Gmail pulled their push function out many years ago, there was no true push Gmail in iOS anyway. What might have looked a push Gmail was in fact a superfast fetch. I think that's what was happening.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Can you show me how to do that bro? Thank a lot

I am not tabi931998, but since he seems to be busy....
All you have to do is to go to Gmail in a browser and set up "forward" to your iCloud address. But please note that any response to incoming mail will be sent out from your iCloud address, although there is a fairly convoluted way to avoid this.

My question to tabi931998
How is using the iCloud mail? Is it consistent? What is the main benefit of doing so other than the iCloud mail is a true push?
I created a separate iCloud account just for the mail a few years back, but am still not using it simply because Gmail has been working consistently, and it's a push in the iOS Outlook I use.
If using the iCloud mail has some significant merits, I will convert to it right now. I am just lazy and somewhat uneasy about the change from something that is working fine.

tobi931998

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
I am not tabi931998, but since he seems to be busy....
All you have to do is to go to Gmail in a browser and set up "forward" to your iCloud address. But please note that any response to incoming mail will be sent out from your iCloud address, although there is a fairly convoluted way to avoid this.

My question to tabi931998
How is using the iCloud mail? Is it consistent? What is the main benefit of doing so other than the iCloud mail is a true push?
I created a separate iCloud account just for the mail a few years back, but am still not using it simply because Gmail has been working consistently, and it's a push in the iOS Outlook I use.
If using the iCloud mail has some significant merits, I will convert to it right now. I am just lazy and somewhat uneasy about the change from something that is working fine.

Thank for your instruction "forward" mail.
IMO there are 3 reasons for me to use iCloud Mail:
1. I use iDevices so I also use contacts with iCloud Mail (i.e. all contacts are stored on iCloud Service). So it help me to message or mail with someone easy and synchronized.
2. You help me know about forwarding. It is really cool. I can receive all mails from 1 account (That's so amazing). I can see which mail account i receive and change to that mail to send a reply an easy way with iCloud contact (I use more than one personal mails so it's cool for me).
3. Stock Maill app also have some features i like such as unsubcribed mail list (i don't know Gmail or Outlook app have this feature or not because I don't use both enough. Maybe i will use 2 app in the near future to get new experience). It also has Junk mailbox to check strange mail.
Stock Maill app have limits but it work well with my requirements. And i believes that Apple is more private and secure than others. That's all.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Reading through this thread, and all the good information in it, makes me wonder about switching my most private email to my iCloud account. I've never used it, but considering all the privacy issues and data collection from Gmail and Facebook, I wonder if it might be wise to start using it!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro