Problem with cover flow

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I have a recurring problem with the cover flow images on my iPhone.

When I sync my music, everything appears fine. However, at some point (maybe 1 week later, maybe 1 month) when I start flipping through the covers of the music, there are certain CD's that have their cover "missing". The music is there there, and the "spot" for the cover is still there. I can touch the empty screen to pull up the music list. But the cover is not showing. This is true both when the cover is sides (like the next one in line) or the album is the one being viewed - all I see is a black screen.

There are a few covers where when the cover is on the side (next in line) I don't see anything, but when I have the cover selected, I see the cover art.

Does this happen to anyone else? If I remove the music, and then resync, it seems to fix it temporarilly. It also seems to always occur with the same albums.

With the attached pictures, you can see what I am talking about. The Weird Al Albums all don't have any cover associated with them (the large blank, black spot). The "Babe" sountrack album I can see when I have it selected, but if I move to the "next" album, I don't see a sideways view (Babe soundtrack and Vertical Horizon are next to each other on cover flow).

Any help?

Chris

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Never seen that before. Have you tried deleting and reattaching the album art? I normally do that whenever I have funky issues with album art.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Hmm...that's not a good sign. :)

It can't (or shouldn't) be the phone itself, because this happened with both the old phone and the replacement (current) phone.

I tried redownloading the album graphics, and then removing/reinstalling all the music. We will see what happens. It's not a huge issue, the music still plays, I can still see the text information for the albums and songs, it's just when I use the cover flow (usually to say "cool" to myself) it disrupts the little warm feeling I have inside. :)

Chris

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Well, I reloaded all the music (too bad you can't select individually) and it is all good for now...same as in the past. We will see what happens.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Just to top this - I don't suppose anyone has any ideas. :)

I have tried reloading the music many times - the same albums still havet he problems. Some of these are songs purcahsed through iTunes, some are songs I have loaded from CD.

It does seem to be "spreading" a little bit. The Weird Al albums are the ones that are "missing", and the albums right before and after it are missing from the side view, but when I slide to see the album cover they are there (I can see them).

Chris

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
That is really strange. Since it always happens to the same albums I would suspect some sort of corrupt file. But you said it even happens with some that you purchased through iTunes and I wouldn't think those would be corrupt. Did you try deleting the album art on your computer and re-downloading it through iTunes? Maybe call Apple and see if they've heard of this problem before?

blakejackson

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
I have always had this problem as well. I am very anal about having the correct album art with the correct album, but it never shows up on my iPhone. Most of the time, random albums will not show the art, and it will switch to different albums when I attempt to re-sync. I have finally just gotten over it.

shininglife88

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Same here

Hi,
I have prretty much the same problem. Some albums are visible in side view but then not straight. And others are Not visible in side view but Are straight. Ive tried reloading, replacing, art and album..... its like my iphone "dosn't like" certain albums :S
i have not a clue....

Btw. My iphone also changes its mind on some albums. i.e. First i can see the art, then after adding some other music, it'll decide to not show certain art anymore...:confused:

Last edited:

Lawn

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi there. I'm having the same problem. I also always have failed backups during the synch. Restored, reloaded the entire iTunes library, and reset synch. Nada. All my covers are embedded in the mp3 files. Album artist is completed for all tracks- the same as the artist tag. All is fine and dandy in iTunes and inconsistently random or missing on the iPhone. Some tracks it gets right. Very odd and annoying. Help please?

69vinman

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
I've never seen that before, but I'm also a beginner.
Is the album art all certain "types" of photos? (i.e. are all the questionable ones .jpegs for example?) I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities or find a common "coincidence"...

Ever notice how these 'smart' phones like to be 'smart@sses' sometimes? It's almost like they're TOO smart!

69vinman

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi there. I'm having the same problem. I also always have failed backups during the synch. Restored, reloaded the entire iTunes library, and reset synch. Nada. All my covers are embedded in the mp3 files. Album artist is completed for all tracks- the same as the artist tag. All is fine and dandy in iTunes and inconsistently random or missing on the iPhone. Some tracks it gets right. Very odd and annoying. Help please?

Hey Lawn,
Try starting a new thread with your other problem or using the search function to find a thread that might have your answer. I'm sure you're not the only one that has that problem.

Lawn

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
One step forward...

Update to the coverflow random show/no show issue, I eventually clean installed leopard after a backup, however the problem reoccurred following sync #2.. Now following snow leopard install.. No change despite a rebuild of the iTunes library, and erasing all data and rebooting the iPhone. Annoyingly no dice. On a whim I tried using my iBook G4 running 10.4 as the iTunes machine, using the same external drive iTunes song library: bingo.
the sync is perfect..every time.. and the backup also works perfectly. I am bemused that this is the case but so it is. I can only think that the library XML file is referencing the cover art folder incorrectly On the iMac but I am guessing. I would have thought a library rebuild would fix this and copied both over to test this with the same iTunes version. Read fine but coverflow still broken. Resync on the iBook and all's well once again. Perplexing.
Any thoughts?

jayanthrajiv

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Simple fix!

If some of the songs are part of the same album, but aren't showing up in the same coverflow album, you should choose "Part of Compilation" in Get Info for the songs that should be grouped together. That helped me fix the problem.