Private Relay

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have been using it since the original betas.

It works pretty well on iOS and iPadOS, but it’s been hit and miss on wired Ethernet on macOS.

circatee

Feb 22, 2021
Visit site
Any idea or info from Apple, when this 'Private Relay' will be out of Beta?
Not actually tried it yet. But, in short, it is a 'sort of' VPN, no?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
[FONT=&quot]Any idea or info from Apple, when this 'Private Relay' will be out of Beta?

[/FONT]

Apple rarely announces things like this, and they haven't in this case, either.

But, in short, it is a 'sort of' VPN, no?

Sure, but only for Safari. A true VPN will hide network activity, DNS lookups, etc., as well asyour IP address for all apps that use net services.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Please keep us informed if anything comes up that causes problems. I’m in favour of moves to “baffle the enemy” !

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I had to block it at home and at work, because it was sending internal traffic over the Internet, which is a huge no-no to me. While I’m on a foreign network, like public WiFi or my mobile carrier, I prefer to route over Private Relay :)

It literally bypasses the malware blocker I have set up.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Good point! I wouldn't want to use it at home, and possibly at work; I am more interested in using it when I'm out and about in the wild! :D

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Good point! I wouldn't want to use it at home, and possibly at work; I am more interested in using it when I'm out and about in the wild! :D

For work purposes, the company’s network or system administrators will disable it network-wide if they deem it necessary :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods