Predictions for iPhone 5 & iOS 5

golfnut

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think that the one soon to be released will have minimal upgrades to it. Most of these will be available with a software update. I think the IP6 will be the greatly improved and sought after device...which will release 2012 or '13..imo.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I think that the one soon to be released will have minimal upgrades to it. Most of these will be available with a software update. I think the IP6 will be the greatly improved and sought after device...which will release 2012 or '13..imo.

I think it's going to be dual core. I don't consider that a minimal update.

gkl

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I want more landscape support. Sideways home screen please! Make it so the icons just rotate in place 90 degrees. That would be sweet!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I want more landscape support. Sideways home screen please! Make it so the icons just rotate in place 90 degrees. That would be sweet!

Yeah, but the problem is you can't without changing the layout completely. The text gets too close to the icons below, it's been done on jailbreak and it just looks horrible. If Apple can figure out a great way to do it, I think it would be awesome. Especially now that they have the orientation lock feature.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Obviously it appears the biggest need from the majority of responses is a better notification system. To that I couldn't agree more. I would also like widgets but for some reason I don't think we'll be seeing them in iOS 5 but I would at least like to see more voice commands (i.e. bluetooth on/off or wifi on/off) right now it is a pain to switch bluetooth on and off.

Now who doesn't want a faster phone with more memory but I have NEVER once thought to myself that I wish this phone was faster. Just give me an improved notification system, LED light, widgets and/or more voice commands and LTE/HSPA+ with a longer battery and I'll be a happy camper.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Obviously it appears the biggest need from the majority of responses is a better notification system. To that I couldn't agree more. I would also like widgets but for some reason I don't think we'll be seeing them in iOS 5 but I would at least like to see more voice commands (i.e. bluetooth on/off or wifi on/off) right now it is a pain to switch bluetooth on and off.

Now who doesn't want a faster phone with more memory but I have NEVER once thought to myself that I wish this phone was faster. Just give me an improved notification system, LED light, widgets and/or more voice commands and LTE/HSPA+ with a longer battery and I'll be a happy camper.

I have, every time I fire up fruit ninja or little wings with my iPod playing it's jumpy unless I manually close any other recently-opened apps.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I have, every time I fire up fruit ninja or little wings with my iPod playing it's jumpy unless I manually close any other recently-opened apps.

Are you jailbroken? I can be downloading apps, listening to streaming music via bluetooth and playing games like fruit ninja or angry birds without issue.

You might want to bring your iPhone back to Apple for it to be looked at.

BTW, I never close apps but occasionally I'll soft reboot my phone just because and not because it's running slow.

robstunner

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 5 Hardware:
-Same Design
-8 megapixel camera, 1080p recording.
-iPhone antenna design will be the same for both Verizon and AT&T except SIM card slot will be added for the AT&T version.
-Will be available in 32GB and 64GB
-iPad's Processor and RAM
-4" Retina Display
-NFC
-Some kind of coating over the metal band, masking the "antenna-gate issue."

-MAYBE, just MAYBE, 4G speeds

(my realistic predictions at least)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
- design might be different
- there won't be 1080p. There's no real point, and 8MP is also pointless unless they increase the sensor size again.
- 64GB might still not happen.
- it will have the iPad's processor, but possibly more RAM like we saw this year.
- if it's 4" it wont be over 300ppi anymore, so it won't be a "retina display". They could go to 3.8" but they won't make the device any bigger so 4" isn't going to happen.
- recent news indicates apple is not interested in NFC as not enough retailers support it yet.
- we can only hope they get their heads out of their asses and fix the antenna. It's not a big issue for me, but it's still annoying that in some places my pinky drops a call.
- it will probably have HSPA+, but not 4G LTE.

iTreHayes

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree with that.

Themes would be nice, but that would add quite a bit of bulk to an already huge Apple Store.

I think the option for a less intrusive alert is great, as well.

I definitely think the AT&T version should have LTE capable. I could see where Verizon might not because their 3G network is so drastically different than LTE. Though, doing one LTE and not the other might really make people angry. But if you released the AT&T one in the summer and the Verizon one in the winter. Then they could release both of them as LTE.

What? This makes no sense. At&t has no LTE network yet do why would they release a LTE iPhone this summer for At&t and wait for Verizon? Thats just a little backwards. If anything just make a HSPA+ for At&t and give them a LTE one next year.

Anyways I would want
-4"screen screen, screw Retina Display
-More RAM
-A5 Chip
-Better Notifications
-Better use of the lock screen
-Google maps navigation
-32 & 64 GB Options
-Wireless iTunes compatibility
-LTE
-MobileMe music locker

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
LTE Ready perhaps?

it wont have the death grip

zAJ0y.jpg

Flavortwists

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they'll change the size or shape, however I do believe they'll change the GSM version so the volume keys and silent switch are in the same place as the CDMA version so all cases fit all iPhones!

Verizon probably requested that as a rue to make more money; very smart business move in my mind...

In regards to the thread, dont change the size I already make fun of friends with droids saying they need a backpack to carry their phones.... Saying the iPad is smaller etc.

They could potentially release a 4g iPhone even without major capability because it can still use the current 3G then use 4g where available....

Tapa talking that shizzzzzzz

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Verizon probably requested that as a rue to make more money; very smart business move in my mind...

I guarantee you that's not why. Apple isn't gonna redesign their hardware just cause a carrier asks them. If any thing the carriers give into what Apple wants, not the other way around.

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
For hardware, I'd like to see dual core, 64GB, reception issues resolved and the home being made touch. I'm not bothered about larger screen unless the resolution increased with it, iPhone 4 may not be the largest screen but it's still got the highest resolution.

IOS 5? Needs to have better camera control and better bluetooth utilisation. I don't know of any other phone that can't bluetooth a picture to another phone. Serious work needs to be done with the camera roll and photo album. Need iTunes to create, modify and delete albums? Come on.

Would be great to have built in security settings too. We all have pics and videos we want to keep private. Yes, you can buy apps for this but it would be better built in.

Better integration between IOS and apps would be perfect. Netportal, Quickoffice, Dropbox, Bump etc, all able to fully integrate with each other and IOS. Maybe that can all be done now, I'm not sure.

Having moved from Nokia 95 8GB last November, I'm not sure what the fuss is all about with notifications?

One thing that also needs to be done is the iTunes application for the desktop. It needs to include methods to control the iPhone's calender, phonebook and so on. Synchronisation is also confusing, I've had my apps dissapear, icons moved to different screens ..... Something that works similar to Nokia's PC Suite.

Connectivity to iTunes via wifi.

Lastly, cut the cord between iPhone and iTunes. I'd prefer not to need to have a desktop to use my phone.

kapnk

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
iPhone and Mobile Phones are Clunky Designs

Although the iPhone had inspired breakthroughs in technology, user experience and industrial design, it remains a slave to dated technologies, retail price points that inhibit innovation as well as ergonomics that fail. Let's dream a bit about what the next generation iPhone could be. I have attempted to take a stab at a new industrial design at trapezoid.co/flexy.html. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Hardware
Screen- 3.5" retina display. This is the iPhone screen size. No bigger, no smaller. Period.
Design- iPhone 4 with metal backing. It will still have the home button. NO notification lights. White iPhone will truly be released at the same time.
Processor- A5 processor.
RAM- more than the iPhone 4
HD- bigger capacities than iPhone 4
Camera- +1-2MP improvement
Cellular network- CDMA/GSM... NO LTE. It's too early
NFC? HELL NO!

Software
Different notification system
Mobile Me will be another feature like visual voicemail- $2.99/month @ some price point that will lead to rapid consumer adaptation.
iOS 5- no widgets a la android, same grid of icons, but the icons will be something inbetween the iOS notification (number in the upper right hand corner of the icon and an Android widget). So the weather icon will display the temp. And not be the full blown HTC sense widget.
Further adaptation of OS X media apps- photo booth, improved iMovie, etc.
Further intergration of Mac, iPad, Apple TV, with the iPhone. If you have any other Apple device, the iPhone will be a tempting option over an Android phone.

All in all, it will adopt the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" upgrade path. A gentle refresh. Apple will not rock the boat with the iPhone 5.

...and one more thing- an iPhone nano or another iPhone to add the the lineup. And it will be on Sprint & T-mobile. The expansion of the iPhone lineup and availability of the iPhone on all the networks in America will be the real big news.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

In regards to the thread, dont change the size I already make fun of friends with droids saying they need a backpack to carry their phones.... Saying the iPad is smaller etc.

and see thats where the "if you don';t own android, then you don't own android comes in to play. 4" phones are only .5 inches more then the iphone. they are not that big. A backpack would be more of a 15" ipad. Problem is once you are drawn in to a cult like status you are tired to one thing and one thing only.

Hardware
Screen- 3.5" retina display. This is the iPhone screen size. No bigger, no smaller. Period.

They said the same about the ipods. When the iPod video came out in 2005 the screen was larger. When the 6th gen nano came out. We were set on 2.5" screens. T

Cellular network- CDMA/GSM... NO LTE. It's too early

Not for 28 markets. LTE ready maybe
'
NFC? HELL NO!

it may be there for those who want it, but its just a gimmick in my opinion. I'll be sticking with my plastic.

And not be the full blown HTC sense widget.

Widgets can be disabled. Yeah. Shocking right?
Further adaptation of OS X media apps- photo booth, improved iMovie, etc.
Further intergration of Mac, iPad, Apple TV, with the iPhone. If you have any other Apple device, the iPhone will be a tempting option over an Android phone.

All in all, it will adopt the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" upgrade path. A gentle refresh. Apple will not rock the boat with the iPhone 5.

Well the last update was pretty big so you may be right, but with the rumors of a 4" phone to LTE to a fall launch this may be a major update. Change is good. If they kept the same design and same features you'll be complaining for them to change it.

...and one more thing- an iPhone nano or another iPhone to add the the lineup. And it will be on Sprint & T-mobile. The expansion of the iPhone lineup and availability of the iPhone on all the networks in America will be the real big news.[/QUOTE]

Sprint and T mobile's network won't be able to handle it. They should just make an unlocked verison.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR