More memory
Faster speed
Lockinfo built into OS
bigger folders for apps (ipad has 20)
Ability to close all apps at once
Better app switching
Better notifications

Memory/speed - agreed. Likely a given
Lockinfo - something like it, or webOS's "exhibition" mode.
Bigger folders - no issue. Nice to have.
Close all apps - I doubt this happens. The philosophy of how iOS multitasks is that you never need to close an app. The system will manage it. I rarely close an app unless something is funky.
Notifications? Yes please. I think this is as certain as anything can be. They hired the "man behind" the webOS notifications. Take those and Apple-ify them and we have a winner.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you like widgets? Anything in particular you have in mind?

I think of when Dashboard was introduced in OS X. I downloaded and had "active" so many widgets. This was when my Internet connection was in the 1 - 1.5 Mbps range. Well, as I added widgets, all pulling it's own little bit of information, it would take forever for dashboard to render. And each widget was useful, but mostly a novelty. When I look at what widgets I have now on my dashboard? Ink level monitor, countdown to vacation, and a sticky with a reminder. I even dropped status pro when I moved from a PowerBook back to an iMac.

I wouldn't be opposed to them being an option, but I would want the ability to turn then off. I just don't see me using them.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The issue with widgets comes from their affect on battery life and data usage. The only way I could see Apple adding widgets is if they can reduce the load to battery.

Apple has never been one to do something because it's done by a competitor. If anything, it seems to make Steve Jobs want to be even more different.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The issue with widgets comes from their affect on battery life and data usage. The only way I could see Apple adding widgets is if they can reduce the load to battery.

Apple has never been one to do something because it's done by a competitor. If anything, it seems to make Steve Jobs want to be even more different.

Completely agree. It is that difference that makes them who they are. They don't do something just because they can, they do things when they can do them well.

SurfStoked

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Completely agree. It is that difference that makes them who they are. They don't do something just because they can, they do things when they can do them well.

Good point. I just think that widgets would come in handy for social networking purposes, weather, and and anything else that would be useful to just take a glance at

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Good point. I just think that widgets would come in handy for social networking purposes, weather, and and anything else that would be useful to just take a glance at

I agree. I think the weather, clock, etc should be live icons like the calendar. Social networking, email, etc I think are better suited to notifications. I think if iOS had a better notification system (along the webOS lines), the combo of the red badges and the notifications (improved) would solve the issue.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

and thats sort of the reason why android is gaining market share. People want the new tech NOW, not five or ten years from now. (by then something else will be out, and Apple will even more far behind) They just want something that works, and is not gimikky or has a shinny sliver logo on it.

Last edited:

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
and thats sort of the reason why android is gaining market share. People want the new tech NOW, not five or ten years from now. (by then something else will be out, and Apple will even more far behind) They just want something that works, and is not gimikky or has a shinny sliver logo on it.

FIVE OR TEN YEARS?!?! Really? So I guess the blackberry like android OS google was developing while Schmidt was on the Apple board was the type of innovation Apple was behind the curve on? I am glad android is around. It will push all OS platforms ahead.

Oh, and a very small percentage of people buy every new phone that comes out. Most stick to the new every two cycle.

SurfStoked

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I think the weather, clock, etc should be live icons like the calendar. Social networking, email, etc I think are better suited to notifications. I think if iOS had a better notification system (along the webOS lines), the combo of the red badges and the notifications (improved) would solve the issue.

Yeah live icons and a better notification system would be amazing!

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
FIVE OR TEN YEARS?!?! Really? So I guess the blackberry like android OS google was developing while Schmidt was on the Apple board was the type of innovation Apple was behind the curve on? I am glad android is around. It will push all OS platforms ahead.

Oh, and a very small percentage of people buy every new phone that comes out. Most stick to the new every two cycle.

Well RIM dug their own grave from the start. Android is around for a number of reasons, but mostly because there is room for competition. Yes android is "fragmented" but one part of that is choice. Want a keyboard smart phone, but don't want RIM? you have a choice.

as for the very small percentage of people who buy every new model, for me, I only buy if it offers more then what I can do now.

Yeah live icons and a better notification system would be amazing!

Live icons is sort of like live wallpaper. Battery drainage.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know why people think widgets would affect battery life considering they don't on a Jailbroken iphone. I don't think I could stand looking at that weather icon anymore that's been stuck on 73 degrees and sunny for another year, Apple needs to do something.

Seb#IM

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I think 5MP is enough but the pb is still that they won't pay more than 3$ for the CCD lens, thus having a crappy pic quality in low light conditions...

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why people think widgets would affect battery life considering they don't on a Jailbroken iphone. I don't think I could stand looking at that weather icon anymore that's been stuck on 73 degrees and sunny for another year, Apple needs to do something.

I agree. I don't think live icons or widgets will affect live that much...

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR