Pre Order day is here!!!

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
WOW! We're not even close to the actual release day and yet you're telling me that stores are already sold out? I can't wrap my mind around that concept.

Technically the devices aren't in the store's inventory yet, they're still at Apple's shipping depots. How can the system say that a device is out of stock when the device isn't even in the store's inventory yet? I figure that when you pre-order now you're essentially telling Apple to send a device from the shipping depot to your store of choice with your name on it.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Every configuration that I choose indicates that pickup is unavailable at both the Crocker Park and the Eton Apple Stores.

It's pretty standard. They know how much the stores will have allotted to them on launch day. Once those units sell out, it tells you the store is out of stock (unavailable) and then you get to start checking the stock daily as they get their new shipments.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
WOW! We're not even close to the actual release day and yet you're telling me that stores are already sold out? I can't wrap my mind around that concept.

Technically the devices aren't in the store's inventory yet, they're still at Apple's shipping depots. How can the system say that a device is out of stock when the device isn't even in the store's inventory yet? I figure that when you pre-order now you're essentially telling Apple to send a device from the shipping depot to your store of choice with your name on it.

Every configuration that I choose indicates that pickup is unavailable at both the Crocker Park and the Eton Apple Stores.

Preordered iPhones that are being shipped to a local store and reserved for that particular customer are siloed from iPhones purchased online directly from the store. Those particular units are pulled from the store’s available inventory. Even though the phones aren’t actually at the stores yet, each store knows exactly how many they’re getting.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

You're not barking up the wrong tree just a very old tree. Lol. It's been like that for years.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I figured that the stores were getting a batch of devices plus whatever reserved devices that people made preorders for. That way even people who didn't reserve a device would still get a chance to buy one if they arrived at the store early enough.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I figured that the stores were getting a batch of devices plus whatever reserved devices that people made preorders for. That way even people who didn't reserve a device would still get a chance to buy one if they arrived at the store early enough.

That’s generally true. There are always two lines in front of the store at opening, one for reservations from preorders and one for walk-ins. They always have iPhones available for walk-ins that have been set aside.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
When is this pre-order madness going to end? I seems that unless you're willing to wake up really early in the morning, your chances of making a pre-order at a store are not very good.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Wow, this is insane! I still can't put a pre-order in for pickup in any of my local stores. Either Apple seriously underestimated the number of people who want to buy this device or the demand for it is so really freakin' high that Apple just can't keep up.

If it's the second option, Apple is going to have a very nice financial quarter.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Wow, this is insane! I still can't put a pre-order in for pickup in any of my local stores. Either Apple seriously underestimated the number of people who want to buy this device or the demand for it is so really freakin' high that Apple just can't keep up.

If it's the second option, Apple is going to have a very nice financial quarter.

In store pre-orders are only for release day. Once release day comes you can start checking daily for stock but it's not a pre-order at that point. They can only stock so many model variations at a time for pre-order and those trying to just show up and buy. Plus all the other products they sell.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I preordered an iPhone 11 pro. Got the email that confirmed the order but I didn’t get charged for the tax and upgrade fee. I am signed up with Verizon’s auto pay, are they going to charge the $94 when it ships? I just want to make sure my order goes through.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
eb7fed4499d4930c4da259a9aba071e2.jpg

May see if the Verizon store in my area has any Max devices though as I think I actually want that one.

If not, I’ll keep this one. I’m not unhappy with the size of my X. Just think if I’ll be taking more photos and playing with the new editing options it may be nice to have a larger screen.