Potentially major draw back for the Apple Watch related to cost...

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
The truth is, Apple could blow our minds and offer the Edition For less than $1,000.00. We won't know for sure until the ?Daylight Savings? event.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Unlikely. Reports/rumors I've seen have said the raw value of just the gold will be more than $1K.

One thing I was thinking about was the gold. If Apple were to buy the gold in huge bulk amounts, would they get a slightly lower price? I'm not too familiar with the gold price market, so forgive me if my thought was completely wrong :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
One thing I was thinking about was the gold. If Apple were to buy the gold in huge bulk amounts, would they get a slightly lower price? I'm not too familiar with the gold price market, so forgive me if my thought was completely wrong :)

You can't avoid the standard gold market price though...if the gold value alone is, say, $1,500 to produce a watch...Apple isn't going to sell the device cheaper than that just because they got gold in bulk, because they would never buy enough bulk gold to decrease cost significantly (maybe a few cents at MOST, and even that is doubtful given the solidity of gold value).

Consumers just need to prepare for a VERY expensive gold variant that hangs out in the luxury tier of jewelry...and if they don't want that kind of investment, stick to the sports version. Hopefully Apple will have a plan to keep the watches relevant for longer than normal mobile technology, otherwise I doubt the gold versions will be anything more than limited production items (maybe even special order).

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
The Watch edition is not for your average consumer. Just like the Mac Pro is not for your average consumer. These are products designed for specific types of individuals with the income level to back it up. This watch is for a particular target market who won't mind spending 5k or more on a watch and then turn around and do it again next year. What's 5k or 10k when you have a 50k Rolex? To these people buying the Apple Watch edition is like buying a timex

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
If Apple were to buy the gold in huge bulk amounts, would they get a slightly lower price? I'm not too familiar with the gold price market, so forgive me if my thought was completely wrong

I think that's doubtful. I mean, even Rolex makes their own 18k gold from 24k that comes into them. They're the only watchmaker to do so. I'm not sure Apple is going to go that far just for their Watch.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The Watch edition is not for your average consumer. Just like the Mac Pro is not for your average consumer. These are products designed for specific types of individuals with the income level to back it up. This watch is for a particular target market who won't mind spending 5k or more on a watch and then turn around and do it again next year. What's 5k or 10k when you have a 50k Rolex? To these people buying the Apple Watch edition is like buying a timex

I'm with you on the average consumer thing but let's be careful and not jump to "what's 5 or 10K when you have a rolex." That's completely different. That 50k rolex is a long term asset.

IMO, this will be in the 1-2k range. I don't really see it as fashionable even with the gold. If I want to make that kind of statement, there's better choices that make more financial sense.

For me to purchase this, I don't think of it as a watch at all. I don't wear watches. The more they try to make it like a traditional watch, the more they lose me.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I've read what Goober or Gruber has to say about pricing and I think he's just wrong. Apple's thought process with the entry model of any category is to barely make it usable. Whether that's 4gb of ram, 16gb storage, or whatever. It sets the floor. It's for the masses who don't really care.

The Sport Watch starts at 349. This isn't the one Apple wants you to get as with any entry level product they sell. It sports a glass face and cheap scratchable aluminum with a rubber band. Less durable for a more active lifestyle? Don't ask. They want you to consider the Apple Watch which I've no doubt is around 500 to 1k. But that 349 will always be mentioned as "starting at" and that's what Apple wanted.

This 10-20k talk of 18k gold edition watches is just stupid to be honest. I expect one to be had around double the apple watch tier. 1-1.5k. Even 5k seems a bit retarded. His final guess is that one starts at 7.5k for a gold watch with a rubber band. That is simply insane and he has failed to make his point. I'd be embarrassed to wear one if it starts at 7.5k or more. It would only indicate that you're a moron.

I know some have speculated about the amount of gold in one of these and you simply don't know. There's a patent out that Apple is using only 28% as much gold. According to their patent, one of their mixtures uses just 28 percent as much gold as a standard 18-karat alloy. That's significant. It's Apple gold, not your usual standard 18k gold.

Keep in mind there are people out there that spend more than others. But this isn't a mass market and that's what Apple targets. These edition watches have to be low enough to still be in that mass market range even if it's the bleeding edge. This is still Apple. These are still electronics that depreciate and become worthless very quickly. Don't let the metrics of traditional fine luxury jewelry influence you. This isn't that. If I'm Apple, I want my usual profit margin and nothing more.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping they announce that after you purchase one the internals will be upgradeable. Some kind of Genius Bar swap of the motherboard, memory and processor but you still keep the same exterior.

I wouldn't hold out any hope for this. This option would kill future sales. Go buy yourself a Rolex, Britling, etc.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The more they try to make it like a traditional watch, the more they lose me.

Here ya go. Want to wear this all day? :0

The Garmin 920 is great at what it does... but I would not want to wear it all day. A sports band i.e. FitBit etc etc is just too limited.

lf-lg.jpg

I guess it depends on who you are. I suspect people that don't wear watches to begin with will have a harder "time" than watch wearers will have in buying the watch.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

The Mac Pro isn't aimed at consumers at all, it's for prosumers. No different than saying dell servers are for 'consumers', which they are not.

Not all Rolex's cost that much, that is on the high end.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit