• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Possible Two Factor Authentication Bypass?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Really not a question, but more of a story. Here is the background:

I switched carriers from AT&T postpaid to Cricket prepaid. Cricket is owned by AT&T so I assumed there would be no issues. I was wrong. After inserting my Cricket SIM into my iPhone 7 and activating it, I could make/receive calls, but not get a cellular data connection and also no texts. So I called Cricket several times to resolve these issues. They were absolutely no help, they just kept submitting tickets. So I wiped my iPhone 7 to factory to see if that would help (I made a fresh iCloud backup before inserting the Cricket SIM). The factory restore did not change anything. I could still make/receive calls, but no data/texts. The no texts was a big issue considering Apple's Two Factor would not send a text to my phone number nor did it recognize it as a trusted device any longer.

After 3 days of this nonsense, I called AT&T and did a WINBack, meaning they recreated my account on the same plan and I all had to do was get a new AT&T SIM. I inserted the new SIM, did another factory wipe and after 4 hours I was getting data and texts. Well... all texts, but those from Apple's Two Factor Authentication. So I'm thinking "crap", I can't sign into my iPhone 7 to get my contacts, backups, etc... all the good things that were stored there since iCloud's release. Now I am panicking. I scheduled a call with Apple and after 45 minutes, they said I was out of luck. I had my Apple ID and password, but an old Recovery Key. I knew and was expecting that answer from them and I was OK with that because I knew how this authentication method worked and it's consequences, but I wasn't OK with losing everything. I waited another 24 hours for the switch back to AT&T to resolve itself completely and settle in. No dice!

When I got home, I fired up my laptop and tried something off of a hunch and last ditch effort. I signed into iTunes and bang... received a text from Apple. My laptop is not a trusted device. So I immediately attempted to sign into my iPhone 7 and bang... another text from Apple. I successfully signed into my phone and restored from my latest backup and EVERYTHING is good and well to date.

I am not sure if this is a "bypass" of Apple's Two Factor Authentication, or if there is more going on behind the scenes. All I do know is that I received no authentication texts from Apple for almost 5 days until I signed into iTunes.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

*Side Note: change the title if need be*

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

I don't think it is a bypass per se, but more of a completion of the authentication...��

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
re:

I may have some insight in to the Cricket problem. My suspicion is that they use different APN settings than AT&T. YES they are a subsidiary, BUT they work differently, and perhaps this is one of the ways. You MIGHT have done a search for Cricket APN settings...

Cricket Wireless APN Settings – Step by Step Configuration

Cricket APN Settings - A Simple Setup Guide [New Working APN]

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201699

HOPEFULLY Cricket allows you to edit the settings (they probably do)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've never run into any problems with it, and I've had it with email accounts, Dropbox, Evernote, banking, etcetera, for years.

I don't have a computer. And I've never had any problems just using email and password. I'm not keen on anything I can't reset or bypass. When I updated to 10.1.1, Apple tried to force the 2 factor on me. I did it by mistake. But was sent an email with the option to undo it. So I did. LOL I just don't trust it. I do use a very strong password.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Re:

I may have some insight in to the Cricket problem. My suspicion is that they use different APN settings than AT&T. YES they are a subsidiary, BUT they work differently, and perhaps this is one of the ways. You MIGHT have done a search for Cricket APN settings...

Cricket Wireless APN Settings – Step by Step Configuration

Cricket APN Settings - A Simple Setup Guide [New Working APN]

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201699

HOPEFULLY Cricket allows you to edit the settings (they probably do)

Thanks for the links, I viewed and tried all before bailing on Cricket.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guideontheside