Pop up’s in Safari

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Several times in the last few days, when I’m online I get these stupid pop up’s saying I’ve won a chance for a $1000 Amazon gift card. Not interested, but it won’t let me close the pop up. I have to close Safari. If I go back it just does the same thing. Do I have a virus??

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, you do not and iMore is already investigating the matter. Still, thank you for reporting it and hopefully, the issue will be resolved soon. Take care.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I’ve had the same thing a few times. Don’t notice a pattern yet but it’s definitely always an Amazon pop up.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Several times in the last few days, when I’m online I get these stupid pop up’s saying I’ve won a chance for a $1000 Amazon gift card. Not interested, but it won’t let me close the pop up. I have to close Safari. If I go back it just does the same thing. Do I have a virus??
Probably not - it's probably just annoying ads. That's been happening to me (on stories on iMore.com especially) every time that I try to scroll through stories. Well, until I finally installed the ad blocker "Better", which seems to have fixed it. (I once used 1Blocker but that blocks images on iMore.com, and all other Mobile Nations sites, as well as the ads.)

https://better.fyi

For now, what you can try to do is 3d press on the Safari icon, choose "New tab", then use the tab control bottom right to show all open tabs and swipe them all away. See if that keeps the site that shows the annoying ad from popping up.

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Need to clear out your safari browser data cache/history under:
  1. Launch the Settings app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Scroll down and tap on Safari.
  3. Now scroll all the way to the bottom and tap on Advanced.
  4. Tap on Website Data. Notice here you can see how much space on your iPhone or iPad website data is taking up.
  5. Scroll to the bottom again and tap on Remove All Website Data.
  6. Confirm one more time you'd like to delete all data.

Possibly have visited a website that hasn't been updated and causing this. Can't remember what exactly. it's been all over. even when using Facebook.
Doing the above does the trick and getting/using an Ad Blocker app.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Need to clear out your safari browser data cache/history under:
  1. Launch the Settings app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Scroll down and tap on Safari.
  3. Now scroll all the way to the bottom and tap on Advanced.
  4. Tap on Website Data. Notice here you can see how much space on your iPhone or iPad website data is taking up.
  5. Scroll to the bottom again and tap on Remove All Website Data.
  6. Confirm one more time you'd like to delete all data.

Possibly have visited a website that hasn't been updated and causing this. Can't remember what exactly. it's been all over. even when using Facebook.
Doing the above does the trick and getting/using an Ad Blocker app.

The only issue with this is that, if you sync Safari settings in iCloud, it will delete website data on all platforms - Mac, iPhone, and iPad - if you have them.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
The only issue with this is that, if you sync Safari settings in iCloud, it will delete website data on all platforms - Mac, iPhone, and iPad - if you have them.

And it still doesn't work. I've turned off Safari syncing, cleared website data and still received a pop-up in sites like weather.com and bodybuilding.com. Annoying to say the least.

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
And it still doesn't work. I've turned off Safari syncing, cleared website data and still received a pop-up in sites like weather.com and bodybuilding.com. Annoying to say the least.

Need to go to step 3 and 4. Not just to safari “clearing history and website data”.
There’s a difference between going to the bottom one called “advance”. I went to your body building site and no amazon pop came up any where while Browsing all over that site.

As for sync. Simple, uncheck safari for iCloud. And then do the steps. Then go back to safari for iCloud backup, turn back on.
Go as far as rebooting the device when done to make sure.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Need to go to step 3 and 4. Not just to safari “clearing history and website data”.
There’s a difference between going to the bottom one called “advance”. I went to your body building site and no amazon pop came up any where while Browsing all over that site.

As for sync. Simple, uncheck safari for iCloud. And then do the steps. Then go back to safari for iCloud backup, turn back on.
Go as far as rebooting the device when done to make sure.

Yes, I’ve done all the steps several times. The pop ups tend to come and go. Today I can browse those sites fine. Yesterday I was getting pop ups on bodybuilding.com, and last week weather.com was basically unusable for me. There are many complaints on the Apple support forums with no resolution as well, so it’s not just me.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Utilizing an ad-blocker may assist? I haven't had any of these issues personally but I use an ad blocker. I did realize that when I was on another site last night, I had to disable my adblocker momentarily for some content I was trying to view, and I got this exact message. So it's possible the ad blocker may help you.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Just a suggestion: how about editing your post and adding those (i.e, turn off sync, clear data, turn on sync) as an instructions?

Again, my thought is that edswife1970 was having that issue because the current tab reloads when you open Safari after it's closed, causing the ad to reload as well. So, I'd suggest trying a 3D Press of the Safari icon, choose New Tab (or New Private Tab), as a first step, which hopefully stops the content from reloading, and then she can swipe away the tab that's causing this to happen, without having to nuke cache as a first step.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happening here. For the last few months actually. Always an Amazon gift card giveaway scam of some sort. Tried clearing everything, but it still happens. Very annoying!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elena4151