Political Op Eds on Imore........

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
I see today that Imore has posted a political op ed regarding black lives matter.

My question is, do we really need this type of journalism on a tech site? One of the reasons I come to Imore, or Android Central is to read about tech news without having to think about politics. I find it annoying to come here and see an op ed. Especially one that I don't find particularly well written and one that is clearly biased to a certain point of view. This happened on the Verge when Vox bought it, I hate to see it happen here.

To the Editors, do you really want to go down his road?

meskin84

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, by definition, an OP-ED is biased, right? It’s a commentary or an opinion of the writer. So, I don’t really have an issue with seeing something like that, I might always agree with an OP-ED piece, but I also have to approach it knowing that these are the opinions and the thoughts of the writer.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
You're right. An op-ed will be biased. Still, I don't come here to read about politics. I have a gazillion choices for that. This is a tech site, can't it just be a tech site? If the author feels that tech is not a priority in her life right now, she can resign and go work for the NYT. I hear they are hiring.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
You don’t have to read it, right?

We are in a time of immense change, hopefully for the better. I see nothing wrong with it. There are plenty of other things to read on imore.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
The change is debatable and no, I don’t have to read it. My point is, I don’t want to see it. What weight does it carry here? None. I want tech news, not some meaningless opinion piece.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The change is debatable and no, I don’t have to read it. My point is, I don’t want to see it. What weight does it carry here? None. I want tech news, not some meaningless opinion piece.

Well, we cannot control what is on here any more than we can control what is in a newspaper. We can control what we read, listen to watch though.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Well, we cannot control what is on here any more than we can control what is in a newspaper. We can control what we read, listen to watch though.

my hope was that enough people would agree and that the editors would rethink their political activism. My ultimate choice is not to come to this site which would obviously hit Mobile Nations add revenue. Im already coming here less.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I believe one of the threads resulted from articles about looting at an Minneapolis Apple Store during a protest. The discussion that ensued did become heated at times. It was moved to this forum because of it’s political nature. I can also share that in a recent version of the iMore show, the show hosts opted to not discuss the situation because the show is tech related and not political.

It’s timely to refer everyone to this thread here o iMore:

https://forums.imore.com/imore-lounge/270331-read-before-posting-politics-forum.html

Please remember that iMore’s “Community Rules and Guidelines” apply on all threads on iMore.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
my hope was that enough people would agree and that the editors would rethink their political activism. My ultimate choice is not to come to this site which would obviously hit Mobile Nations add revenue. Im already coming here less.

I understand and you have a right to your viewpoint. It is nice to have places that are a refuge from all the things we have been going through, especially in 2020. I have been purposely watching the news less to take refuge. We all have to choose what’s best for us.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picxartsapp