Please help with "Other" memory!

benhar

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm at my wits end with my iPhone. The "Other" memory has been growing. I've tried just about every trick I could find. Unfortunately even a restore followed by a backup restore only adds to the Other. It's now up to 6 GB. I'm afraid I just have to start from scratch with the iPhone, losing all my app data. Before I commit to this, do I have any other options?

On a side note, this seems to happen to a lot of people, so I'm surpised Apple hasn't issued a resolution better than wiping the phone. My whole reasoning for switching to the iPhone was so I would have to deal with stuff like this.

Thanks for any help...

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I would reset all and restore as new. Not sure how widespread this issue is since none of our two iPhones are affected and I haven't heard any complaints from friends or family with iPhones.

benhar

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Oh well, I guess I can't get around it.

I'm not sure I'd call it widespread, but in searching for a solution I found a good number of threads in other forums on this issue, some of those threads long running. There are a few solutions that seem to work for some people, a couple even posted by Apple, but they are hit and miss from what I can tell, and didn't work for me.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how your other could balloon that large. No one I know has an other file larger than 4 GB. Not sure where the extra 2 are coming from. The best option would be a wipe and restore.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh well, I guess I can't get around it.

I'm not sure I'd call it widespread, but in searching for a solution I found a good number of threads in other forums on this issue, some of those threads long running. There are a few solutions that seem to work for some people, a couple even posted by Apple, but they are hit and miss from what I can tell, and didn't work for me.

Have you tried this: Force iOS Devices to Recalculate “Other” Capacity in iTunes?

benhar

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I did try that, but thanks. I sucked it up and performed a factory restore, starting fresh with all my apps.

I'm not sure how it hit 6GB either, but I wish I did so I could avoid it happening again. It typically wouldn't bother me but having a 3 month old baby I'm constantly taking videos and pictures.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I did try that, but thanks. I sucked it up and performed a factory restore, starting fresh with all my apps.

I'm not sure how it hit 6GB either, but I wish I did so I could avoid it happening again. It typically wouldn't bother me but having a 3 month old baby I'm constantly taking videos and pictures.

I understand, and hopefully, you won't have to deal with it again. By the way, congratulations on your newborn. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods