Pictures and iCloud

torbjornhb

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
Hi.
I've got about 70 000 pictures in Google Photos and I'm wondering if I should upload them all to iCloud. I know about the optimization thing in both the iPhone and the mac, but there is something I've never figured out.

Clearly, 70k photos will take up all the space in both the phone and the mac if it wasn't for the optimization thing, but I can't find out how much space the pictures will take up before it stops eating if the storage space on the actual device.

I'd love to have all the photos accessible in iCloud, but I'd also love to have, say, 50% og the storage in my iPhone free. Don't ask why...could be for filming etc....

Does anybody know a solution for this, or have any advice.

Thanks in advance :)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The optimization is different per device and per situation.
There’s an algorithm doing all the calculations and decides when to optimize and how much to optimize.

I have optimization disabled and this is what it shows me under Storage settings: IMG_0215.jpg

Optimization also happens every once in a while, so there’s no guarantee you’ll have 50% of your storage free at all times.

torbjornhb

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
Thanks ??????.
But do you know if it's like the device will be filled up as far as possible all the time? Like 90-95% of the storage space? It kind of sounds a little logical that the storage space will be filled up as much as possible before the optimization starts.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks í ½í¹‚.
But do you know if it's like the device will be filled up as far as possible all the time? Like 90-95% of the storage space? It kind of sounds a little logical that the storage space will be filled up as much as possible before the optimization starts.

Like I said, I have never enabled that option nor do I have heard from others how it works.
Hopefully someone else with more hands on experience will chime in to answer soon.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have optimization on for my 64 GB iPhone X. 56.1 of 64 GB used. Photos takes up 3.75 GB on my iPhone. (My photos library on iCloud uses 50.4 GB.)

reid506

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
I have what I consider a simple question but can’t find the specific answer online. I need to optimize photos on my work iPhone because they cheaper out and got a 64G phone (model SE). My question is, after I optimize my photos, then a week from now I decide I need to send a full res photo (via email) to someone, will I be sending a full res image or will that image come straight from my device, which is now optimized, so then I’m emailing an image that’s only [for example] 300 kB in size? Also, if that’s how it is, can I get around this by signing on to iCloud from a computer and emailing the full res photo using my iCloud email? Is that a thing?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have what I consider a simple question but can’t find the specific answer online. I need to optimize photos on my work iPhone because they cheaper out and got a 64G phone (model SE). My question is, after I optimize my photos, then a week from now I decide I need to send a full res photo (via email) to someone, will I be sending a full res image or will that image come straight from my device, which is now optimized, so then I’m emailing an image that’s only [for example] 300 kB in size?

Your phone will download the full-res image and then will share that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods