photostream versus icloud backup

chocolateyum

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I thought I had backed up to icloud but then read the fine print saying that I didn't have enough storage available so the autobackup never happened.

I assume I lost all my calendar meetings/notes, after I updated the iPhone 5 and the update messed things up?

Can I still recover videos and photos from photostream? I fortunately backed up to dropbox as well but there is a few days delay with dropbox so I'd still be missing some photos/videos.

I did manage to backup my ipad. But I didn't realize my calendar was messed up until a month later. Can I recover a month old backup when the last update is shown as yesterday? If so, how?

Thanks.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Here’s what iCloud backs up:

• Purchased history for music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books
    Your iCloud backup includes information about the content you have purchased, but not the purchased content itself. When you restore from an iCloud backup, your purchased content is automatically downloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Automatic downloading is based on iTunes in the Cloud availability by country, and previous purchases may be unavailable if they have been refunded or are no longer available in the store.
  • Photos and videos in your Camera Roll
  • Device settings
  • App data
  • Home screen and app organization
  • iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages
  • Ringtones
  • Visual Voicemail
Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn't include data already stored in iCloud, for example contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo streams, My Photo Stream, and documents you save in iCloud using iOS apps and Mac apps.

chocolateyum

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
If I'm understanding this correctly, then I should be able to recover my calendar saved notes/meetings even though I didn't have "icloud backup" turned on - am I right?

If so how?

I should also then be able to recover My photostream? Again, how would I do this?

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I'm understanding this correctly, then I should be able to recover my calendar saved notes/meetings even though I didn't have "icloud backup" turned on - am I right?

If so how?

I should also then be able to recover My photostream? Again, how would I do this?

Thanks.

If your calendar, notes, etcetera are associated with iCloud, you do not need the iCloud backup for the purpose of saving your calendar and notes data. All you have to do is sign into iCloud and enable sync for your calendar, etcetera, and then your data should automatically begin syncing to your device. I almost NEVER restore from a backup, although I have created numerous backups for emergency purposes. All i do is sign in to iCloud and my data syncs to my device. All notes, calendar notes, contacts, and contact information, etc. all sync to my device.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner