Photos...the never ending upload

DPetry

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Don't trust ONEDRIVE IOS Backup system, it's VERY buggy.

According to Microsoft's employee Arvind Ram OneDrive is designed to compress user Photos, which could lead to loss of data. You can check his answer at Microsoft own user forum (I can't post links):
View attachment 82958
That's not something explicit for the final user, that believes the backups are 1:1 copies.

That's just another major issue with OneDrive on top of IOS Backup Feature skipping user photos, as reported here: View attachment 82959

eseerc

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Don't trust ONEDRIVE IOS Backup system, it's VERY buggy.

According to Microsoft's employee Arvind Ram OneDrive is designed to compress user Photos, which could lead to loss of data. You can check his answer at Microsoft own user forum (I can't post links):
View attachment 82958
That's not something explicit for the final user, that believes the backups are 1:1 copies.

That's just another major issue with OneDrive on top of IOS Backup Feature skipping user photos, as reported here: View attachment 82959

As a long time OneDrive user, I have never experienced either of those issues (lucky me!). OneDrive has always uploaded my photos pefectly and the images are stored in the cloud at full resolution and file size. Judging from another post Reliable IOS Camera Backup ? Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive Microsoft is attempting to collect individual instance data to better troubleshoot. I feel fortunate that OneDrive has worked flawlessly for me and I feel reassured to trust my photos with a company who actively listens and responds to user feedback.

roseave

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
So, I guess I ended up here 'cause it said "never ending upload". And so this contribution to this thread is in part a request for assistance and education.

FIRST: I am interested in which cloud service work, and which don't (so well). And I would REALLY like to here something in the form of "recommendations". Not really interested, too much, in cost. I sorta assume costs will converge over time. But really, what do y'all think DOES work best, and why?

FYI, so you can see how little I care about cost (I'm old, got a little money, and am trying to just find stuff that works), I have Dropbox (free), Amazon (whatever comes with Prime), Microsoft (1TB, from Office 365), Copy (free - 25GB), Google (100GB) for a year, and Apple (200GB) for a year. Just don't have time to figure out what works best. Mostly have been using Copy, happily, as "cloud drive" on which all my active documents except photo & music reside, and can access from all Mac devices. Photo/movie storage? I've got some on everything. Oh yeah, I have Flickr Pro (though I guess all that is free now) and Adobe Computing Cloud subscription. I'd like to get into a work stream for photos using Lightroom or Photoshop, all the time, but am stuck in Photos - cause haven't figured out/motivated self to change. OK, you can see what a mess and a waste I am. Counseling?

[and, so, also have Time Machine going, and occasionally burn a backup hard drive, so I can sleep at night]

SECOND: Can y'all tell me what's going on with my Photos/iCloud interface, and what might be done to fix it. Orrrr. Is this what you mean by "it doesn't work good.".

What's happening is a "never ending upload". This is what my Preferences dialog in Photos looks like:
iCloud.jpg

And it ALWAYS looks like this. Always stuck with 20,000 photos to go. And, if I check the two boxes below. my internet connection slows to a crawl, and sometimes stops altogether. So, I can hit "pause for a day", and get back to using my nominal 90Gbps connection. AND/BUT, if I try to just turn iCloud OFF, it says it is gonna delete everything on the desktop.

Looks like this. Intelligence, please?

Screenshot_8_26_15__7_48_PM.jpg

- Jerry

FaroBean

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I took the leap to upload all photos to iCloud because I was tired of managing photos from my iPhone and iPad to my iMac. I was very apprehensive, but went ahead with it.

It took a couple of days for iPhone and iPad to do what I asked -- I had to change Settings all 3 devices to make iCloud the repository and I asked for iMac to have full resolution images. The thumbnail option on the iPhone and iPad freed up a lot of space..

I did check on the amount of storage my photos took -- I only have 6,000 photos -- so I was able to buy sufficient additional storage for $1 per month -- I forget how much it was but it works for me and I still have 50 MB available. I assume you have purchased additional storage. The free default is not enough for more than an iPhone or iPad backup.

Mine seems to work fine. I have thumbnails on my iPhone of all 5,000 photos which show up as an option. How well I can manipulate, I don't now, but it has worked for me.

ArchiTexTerry

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I too have almost the exact same issue...it's taken over a week and still has not finished uploading. The upload started with 27,000 images but never gets closer than 18,000 and I have 186 GB of cloud storage available.
Photos.jpg
I am big fan of Apple but this has been a huge disappointment and does NOT work as advertised. I won't even go into what I had to do to convert my iPhoto library to Photos!

Rey Guerrero

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I will agree that oneDrive and Microsofts cloud services are far superior to iCloud and apples offerings . I have recently been syncing my photo stream over to one drive and I think I'm going to forget about iCloud and the ridiculous pricing involved. I had initially thought that "Photos" would be great seeing as I've been in the apple echo system for a very long time and all my photo albums were originally organized in iPhoto but this transition has been a pain and I'm justing going to stop trying to upload to iCloud photo stream or whatever they are calling it now. I guess I'm going to stick with one drive after all they offered me a ridiculous amount of storage through promoting that they have had in the past.

Rey Guerrero

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I loved Apple's Iphone but I'm at a point to "F" their products, specially iphone. I been dealing with same issue a pain in the *** trying just back up photos on Icloud. I haf phone connected for 5 hours to excellent Wi Fi and only uploaded about 1000 photos of 5900. Il

Ever since I tried for first time to back up to icloud it has screw my battery life. Literally at a crossroads to tell Apple bye.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2