Photo's emailed are upside down

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I was a bit vague in my statement. Terminology is a minor issue. The bigger issues I have with Apple are things like proprietary connectors (lightning vs standard USB), no Miracast/Chromecast support, having to buy an app that does something that should have been included in the OS itself, and generally trying to force you to use its stuff.

I agree with you on some of that. But I've grown accustomed to it all. I haven't connected my iPhone to iTunes in 3 years.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
With the whole images being upside down when displayed in email. That I don't think is a problem that is caused by the phone or the user.

When I take a photo from any orientation the EXIF data shows, "1 (Normal)." Like I said previously, images display with the proper orientation in Photoshop, Lightroom, Windows Photo Viewer, and Microsoft Paint.

However, when I open the image in Quicktime Player the image displays as 90 degrees off, like it displays in Outlook and when I uploaded to this thread... Interesting and odd...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The only time I ever had a photo look sideways was when I took a shot at an angle that turned the orientation. But it looked sideways on the camera roll. I've never uploaded an upright photo and it be sideways. I have seen others with the issue before. If it's a camera bug, you can try using a 3rd party camera. I use ProCamera +HDR as my default. I only use the stock camera for live photos. camera+ has a great tool for straightening photos. I've researched this and come up empty. Everyone has a theory. But no real answers.

jmurgen

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
This is a classic reason why I rarely read comments of help online, most of the replies here have nothing to do with the question; the whole conversation turned into a quasi debate about resets. The correct answer deals with the orientation interpretation of various apps/protocols, this occurs a lot, just move a picture around various apps, platforms, protocols, and OS's and you might get motion sickness by the changes in how the picture is displayed. It's no accident that even the dumbest photo apps offer a rotational tool. Something in the standard? Isn't being applied the same by everyone.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
This is a classic reason why I rarely read comments of help online, most of the replies here have nothing to do with the question; the whole conversation turned into a quasi debate about resets. The correct answer deals with the orientation interpretation of various apps/protocols, this occurs a lot, just move a picture around various apps, platforms, protocols, and OS's and you might get motion sickness by the changes in how the picture is displayed. It's no accident that even the dumbest photo apps offer a rotational tool. Something in the standard? Isn't being applied the same by everyone.

Different apps may slightly change the way a photo is displayed but I've yet to come across one that turns them upside down.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I've used iPhones for over 4 years. I have over 50 photography apps on my phone. I have never had one turn a photo in any orientation it was not supposed to be. Never. Not once.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
When i take pictures using my iphone 6s plus and share them with email they are sent upside down. This even happens if i text to the pic to someone and they email it. I first thought it had something to do with using the volume for the shutter but it does it if i shoot the pic by pressing the screen.

I've used iPhones for over 4 years. I have over 50 photography apps on my phone. I have never had one turn a photo in any orientation it was not supposed to be. Never. Not once.

The original post was about emailing it or texting it to somebody and then that person emails it. It has nothing to do with the phone itself.

Like I said, I have replicated it using Outlook Mobile and again with the Mail app. I just took this photo with my phone "upside down" in landscape (home button on the left) and emailed it via the Apple Mail app to my Gmail account. I opened it in Chrome and it displayed in the proper orientation (i.e. right side up). I opened it in the Gmail app on my 6S Plus and it displayed properly (right side up), and I opened it on my Galaxy Tab S2 with the Gmail app and it displayed properly (right side up). I then opened it in Quicktime Player and it displayed upside down, but displayed properly (right side up) in Photoshop and Photoshop Express).

IMG_2586.JPG

This image was taken using ProCamera + HDR sent it using the Apple Mail app, and the results were identical to it being taken with the Apple's stock camera app.

IMG_2588.JPG

As a side note. When I set the file format to TIFF in ProCamera+HDR it displays properly in every app I viewed it in.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices